Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,173

2 members and 3,171 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

First time BP owner, first question

Hi all. My name is Brent. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio. I’ve been lurking these forums for a few months now, collecting and reading a bunch of information. You all have a great community!

I did a lot of research before buying, as I want to make sure I have the best situation for a new animal. I set up the enclosure two weeks before the reptile show, so I could monitor temps and such. I have two hides(identical)one on cool side , one on hot side, with a uth regulated by a thermostat. I also have a che on a thermostat as well. Temps are 88-92 on hot side and 79-82 on cool side. Humidity is between 50-60%.

I just purchased a butter ball python Sunday. She’s about 5 months old from what I was told. I got her at the reptile show from a local breeder in town.

I have my first question. I tried to feed her last night, a live small mouse, and she struck at it several times, and missed. From what I’ve read, should I wait a week before offering again? I know she won’t starve in a week but I was told Tuesday was her feeding day in the past ,and was trying to keep schedule.

She’s been out at night somewhat, and has had her head poking out of the cool side hide in the morning when I check on her.

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: First time BP owner, first question

Quote Originally Posted by cincy View Post
    Hi all. My name is Brent. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio. I’ve been lurking these forums for a few months now, collecting and reading a bunch of information. You all have a great community!

I did a lot of research before buying, as I want to make sure I have the best situation for a new animal. I set up the enclosure two weeks before the reptile show, so I could monitor temps and such. I have two hides(identical)one on cool side , one on hot side, with a uth regulated by a thermostat. I also have a che on a thermostat as well. Temps are 88-92 on hot side and 79-82 on cool side. Humidity is between 50-60%.

I just purchased a butter ball python Sunday. She’s about 5 months old from what I was told. I got her at the reptile show from a local breeder in town.

I have my first question. I tried to feed her last night, a live small mouse, and she struck at it several times, and missed. From what I’ve read, should I wait a week before offering again? I know she won’t starve in a week but I was told Tuesday was her feeding day in the past ,and was trying to keep schedule.

She’s been out at night somewhat, and has had her head poking out of the cool side hide in the morning when I check on her.

Thanks for the help

This is the only pic I have as of now. I won’t be handling her for a few weeks to let her settle in. This is when I first brought her home

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Hey Brent, those were defensive strikes you saw.

Give her at least a week before offering food again.

If she doesn't eat by the second/third week-then you probably have to adjust your setup. My BP's like small enclosures when they are young and grow more comfortable with more area as they get larger. If she has a big enclosure, add some clutter to make her feel more 'hidden'.
    *.* TNTC

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

cincy (04-25-2018),Craiga 01453 (04-25-2018),MissterDog (04-25-2018),Ronniex2 (05-02-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    Hey Brent, those were defensive strikes you saw.

Give her at least a week before offering food again.

If she doesn't eat by the second/third week-then you probably have to adjust your setup. My BP's like small enclosures when they are young and grow more comfortable with more area as they get larger. If she has a big enclosure, add some clutter to make her feel more 'hidden'.
    Thanks for the response. She went after it, but I was dumb, and let the mouse get under one of the hides. I should have kept the mouse out in the open. She couldn't find it, but was definitely searching, or so it seemed . I left it in there for about 30 minutes before I just removed it, it was still under the hide. Beginner mistake on my part I'm sure.

Thanks

This is the only pic I have as of now. I won’t be handling her for a few weeks to let her settle in. This is when I first brought her home

just curious, any reason you are feeling her live? if she will eat frozen I would try to get her on that asap, as she grows, live food will get more dangerous, especially if she is striking and missing. just a suggestion, good luck on your new baby!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jcorsaletti For This Useful Post:

cincy (04-25-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jcorsaletti View Post
    just curious, any reason you are feeling her live? if she will eat frozen I would try to get her on that asap, as she grows, live food will get more dangerous, especially if she is striking and missing. just a suggestion, good luck on your new baby!
    I fed live as that is what they said they were feeding. Also, I don’t have a good source for frozen as of yet. Thank you.

Thanks

I fed live as that is what they said they were feeding. Also, I don’t have a good source for frozen as of yet. Thank you.

Rodent Pro is a pretty good source, if you want to get them shipped to you and pay online. Also, other than just buying at shows, check to see if the sellers there sell online! I buy from a local source online since they ship quick and easy.

As for the food, she MAY have been going after the food, or maybe just your hand. My BP personally ate on his first night, but I admit it was probably a mistake to rush it. Wait another week before offering her food again to avoid stress, and make sure not to handle her before you get 2-3 consecutive feedings!

Other than that, congrats on your new snake, they're quite a beauty! The beginning wait is hard and tedious, but remember the they will be with you for 20+ more years to handle!

The more silent you become, the more you are able to hear...

​1.0 Super Cinny Banana Het Ghost BP - "Churro"
    1.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Slicercrush For This Useful Post:

cincy (04-25-2018)

Thanks
    Yeah, just give it another week, I find that as their hunger builds, they become far more persistent and less likely to miss. Also, I'd stick with live prey for the first few feedings before trying out frozen thawed prey if you choose to, right now getting a Pattern of feeding established is important, especially if she is used to live prey.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

cincy (04-25-2018),MissterDog (04-25-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slicercrush View Post
    Rodent Pro is a pretty good source, if you want to get them shipped to you and pay online. Also, other than just buying at shows, check to see if the sellers there sell online! I buy from a local source online since they ship quick and easy.

As for the food, she MAY have been going after the food, or maybe just your hand. My BP personally ate on his first night, but I admit it was probably a mistake to rush it. Wait another week before offering her food again to avoid stress, and make sure not to handle her before you get 2-3 consecutive feedings!

Other than that, congrats on your new snake, they're quite a beauty! The beginning wait is hard and tedious, but remember the they will be with you for 20+ more years to handle!
    Thanks for the response. I definitely don't plan on handling her until she's fed at least twice. I'll be patient though. I come from a saltwater reef aquarium background, so I know the patience game lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    Yeah, just give it another week, I find that as their hunger builds, they become far more persistent and less likely to miss. Also, I'd stick with live prey for the first few feedings before trying out frozen thawed prey if you choose to, right now getting a Pattern of feeding established is important, especially if she is used to live prey.
    Another week it is. I was feeding her live partially due to that reason, and the other, that I haven't found a good source yet for frozen. I really want to get her on a pattern for sure as far as feeding goes. I appreciate the response!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast