Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,861

1 members and 2,860 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Help~~My baby Suriname boa's poop is like black smashed potato。。。

Quote Originally Posted by alice40604345 View Post
    Ah thank you so much! LOL jellybean. I'll get some hopper mice! May I know that have you had any problem in changing their prey from mice to rats?
    Nope. I have been able to change all my snakes over no problem. Boas are not picky and will usually eat anything hung in front of their faces.

The only snake i havent switched from mice to rats yet is Luna my dumerils but she is still small enough that a mouse or 2 work for her. I'll work on her after she clearly outgrows mice. All the baby boas instantly grabbed weaned rats when i showed them, no hesitation on it being new prey or anything. They just said 'FOOD!!" and wrapped it lol.

And yeah, i heard a couple people call little baby mice and rats "jellybeans of fat'. Also just heard a guy call GTPs 'Ball Pythons on a stick" lol. Kind of true though. Pat is like a bump on a log all day long. I only see him move if i bug him or he moves from the cool side of the perch to the warm side under his CHE. He gets pretty worked up when he smells food also. Come night though, he is far from a BP. The little booger is on the move all night long unless he just ate lol.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 04-24-2018 at 09:49 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alice40604345 View Post
    Ah thank you so much! LOL jellybean. I'll get some hopper mice! May I know that have you had any problem in changing their prey from mice to rats?
    I've had my captive bred baby suri for 3 feedings. She was born in September 2019 I received her in October and it's now Dec. Each time she has pooped its been a puddle of brown with specs of urates. According to the breeder and from what I have been able to find out, it is caused by the pinkie rats that she's eating. It's basically like eating soup. I have been assured that nothing is wrong with her. I can switch her over to hopper mice but prefer to stick with rats and up size her to fuzzy rats in about a month. We'll see how it goes however it is distressing to see the puddle.
    Lou

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skaukatt View Post
    ... I can switch her over to hopper mice but prefer to stick with rats and up size her to fuzzy rats in about a month. We'll see how it goes however it is distressing to see the puddle.
    Lou

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Baby Suriname/Guyana boas should be fed mice...your preferences will not do your boa any good.

There are theories as to why some Suriname boas have trouble digesting rats early in their life and I'm not trying to downplay anyone's theory but regardless of theory the results are known...Many decades ago pioneers (so to speak) killed baby Suriname/Guyana boa feeding them rats and learned that digestive problems can be avoided by feeding appropriately sized mice for the first year.
    Last edited by bns; 12-29-2019 at 08:02 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (12-29-2019),jmcrook (12-29-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12