Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,728

0 members and 2,728 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

I think my snake has a burn.

I’ve had a ball python for over a year now. She has always sneezed a little during handling, and even occasionally I could hear her wheezing in her enclosure. But it has gotten significantly worse over the past few days. While handling her now it is almost constant, and it is much louder. And I noticed that her belly is very pink, but I don’t think she is going into shed quite yet. For now I turned off the heating pad. I don’t have a thermometer for it either so I have no idea how hot it is getting. Her hide is close to being directly over the heating pad, but off to the side a couple of inches. She always pushes the substrate I have for her(large wooden chips) aside which gets her very close the bottom of the enclosure despite me constantly moving the substrate back in place. There hasn’t been any major changes to her enclosure in terms of the location of her heat sources and hide. I’ll post pictures of her tomorrow to show you how pink she is.

Thanks

Re: I think my snake has a burn.

Quote Originally Posted by skylord0110 View Post
    I’ve had a ball python for over a year now. She has always sneezed a little during handling, and even occasionally I could hear her wheezing in her enclosure. But it has gotten significantly worse over the past few days. While handling her now it is almost constant, and it is much louder. And I noticed that her belly is very pink, but I don’t think she is going into shed quite yet. For now I turned off the heating pad. I don’t have a thermometer for it either so I have no idea how hot it is getting. Her hide is close to being directly over the heating pad, but off to the side a couple of inches. She always pushes the substrate I have for her(large wooden chips) aside which gets her very close the bottom of the enclosure despite me constantly moving the substrate back in place. There hasn’t been any major changes to her enclosure in terms of the location of her heat sources and hide. I’ll post pictures of her tomorrow to show you how pink she is.
    We won’t be able to tell if it’s a burn or not without seeing it, but considering you don’t even have a thermometer for the tank I doubt you have a thermostat. Without a thermostat, if your snake doesn’t have a burn yet it for sure at a huge risk for one without a thermostat!

The thermostat controls the temperature of the heat pad so without it the glass can get very very hot.

Do you have any other heat source besides the heat pad? What kind of enclosure do you have? We will for sure need more info but from the sounds of it your snake might have an RI because of the wheezing and sneezing.

An RI is caused by the temps being to cold so if the heat pad is your only source of heat, then your ambient (air) temps are probably to cold for it (which is probably why it burrows down to get closer to the heat pad)

From the sounds of it you have some pretty serious husbandry issues that really need immediate fixing or your animal will be at risk. I would post a pic and a better description of your tank so that we can get a good idea of what all needs changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BluuWolf For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (04-24-2018)

Thanks
    I'm a new owner but definitely get a thermostat for that uth. I didn't think I needed one because the uth I bought came from what I thought was a reputable reptile supply company. But everybody told me that yes I needed one along with a temp gun to check temps. When I got the gun and checked the temp on the uth it was 117 degrees!!! I had repticarpet between the glass and substrate so the temp on top of substrate was just over 100 but still WAY too hot.
    Last edited by bhsurf4; 04-23-2018 at 11:45 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bhsurf4 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-24-2018)

Thanks

Sorry I meant to say thermostat. I have a thermometer and humidity gauge. She has a heating lamp that gets to around 100 within an inch, but around 90 where she can reach it. She doesn’t sneeze. I’m on my phone so I guess it auto corrected wheezing to sneezing. I can’t get pictures until the morning unfortunately. Also I really doubt it’s an RI because her humidity has been on the lower side. I’ve been struggling to keep humidity up in the winter been it’s gotten better. I planned on switching her over to a bioative enclosure to hopefully fix this
    Last edited by skylord0110; 04-23-2018 at 11:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    If she is wheezing she needs a vet. I'm am not meaning to sound snarky when I say this. You have been a member a year and we say over and over again do not house an uth without a thermostat. There are stickies with proper set up. And your humidity is low. Being a member for a year you should know this. You joined the same day I did. Unplug it, get your husbandry correct, and your baby needs a vet for an RI.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Kira (04-24-2018),MissterDog (04-24-2018),tttaylorrr (04-24-2018)

Thanks

I think my snake has a burn.

Quote Originally Posted by skylord0110 View Post
    Sorry I meant to say thermostat. I have a thermometer and humidity gauge. She has a heating lamp that gets to around 100 within an inch, but around 90 where she can reach it. She doesn’t sneeze. I’m on my phone so I guess it auto corrected wheezing to sneezing. I can’t get pictures until the morning unfortunately. Also I really doubt it’s an RI because her humidity has been on the lower side. I’ve been struggling to keep humidity up in the winter been it’s gotten better. I planned on switching her over to a bioative enclosure to hopefully fix this
    An RI is caused by low temperatures not high humidity. It’s scale rot that is caused by the humidity being to high Wheezing is still symptom of an RI, even without the sneezing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BluuWolf; 04-24-2018 at 12:18 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Last year I took in a ball python that was burned from an unregulated heat source. Despite $400 in vet bills she didn't make it.

A thermostat costs a mere fraction of what a vet bill to treat a burn does - and you will still have to buy a thermostat afterward.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

BluuWolf (04-24-2018),C.Marie (05-14-2018),Craiga 01453 (04-24-2018),zina10 (04-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Don't worry about such a thing as bio active.

You need to concentrate on the BARE NECESSITIES. Nothing else is as important as that. These snakes are from a region which has higher temps then we usually have. So yes, we do need a heat source. On the other hand, to high temps cause burns, neurological issues, death. A thermostat is 100 % non negotiable.

I rather see a snake in a plain tub you can buy for $15 that has been rigged with the UTH on a thermostat then a snake in a big tank/cage and incorrect heat.

That snake may very well have a burned belly. The pink you see is just the beginning. That will quickly turn far nastier. Very painful, as well. As Sunny pointed out, you are not a beginner. You knew better.

But what is done, is done. All you can do now is to get your husbandry 100% right. Like NOW. Get a thermostat. Don't guess temps. Get them right, period. If your humidity is to low then cover most of the lid. Add a larger bowl. Mist part of the tank several times the day (don't get all areas wet, though)

Again, if there is a burn, don't put her on soil or even substrate, forget about bioactive for now. What you need is to keep that snake as clean as possible. Meaning on paper towels that will need to be changed often. The burn will need to be treated. This will take a while. If this will turn into a bad burn, you will need a vet to prescribe you certain salves you should use. Sure you can try DIY stuff, but burns can kill. The chance for infection is high, and the snake can quickly turn septic.

Share pictures, let us see how it looks. Fix everything asap, you can get a thermostat for $30 or so on Amazon. Start looking around to see if you can find a Vet, you may need one.

Good luck to you and the snake..
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

BluuWolf (04-24-2018),C.Marie (05-14-2018),Craiga 01453 (04-24-2018),Kira (04-24-2018),MissterDog (04-24-2018),Slicercrush (05-16-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    you can get a thermostat for $30 or so on Amazon.

Actually I think I only paid $18 for mine on Amazon. I felt bad because I like to support my local reptile store, but $18 on Amazon vs $40 at store. Amazon won! That's ok I'll be buying my mice from the pet store so they'll make my money back.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bhsurf4 For This Useful Post:

BluuWolf (04-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Bioactive isn’t going to fix anything if you can’t even get the basics down. Hold your horses and focus on what needs to be done not what you want to have done.

Don’t jump into ambitious, fancy set ups until you’ve taken care of your existing problems now. Frankly I’m surprised how long you’ve been okay with merely guessing how hot temperatures can get. I hope you are learning from this and realize how serious of a problem this is.

Please, for the sake of your snake LISTEN to everyone here and prioritize on getting a thermostat. Zina has pointed out everything you need to address. Please follow her advice!

Last edited by MissterDog; 04-24-2018 at 01:50 AM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

BluuWolf (04-24-2018),C.Marie (05-14-2018),Craiga 01453 (04-24-2018),Kira (04-24-2018),Slicercrush (05-16-2018),zina10 (04-24-2018)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast