Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,001

0 members and 3,001 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Researching incubators

I recently purchased a ball python that p.o said may be gravid.

Her behavior follows what I'm reading in gravid females so I'm researching incubators. As this is the only breeding age snake I have at the moment, (I have a few youngsters that I MAY breed, but they're less than a year old) I'm looking at something pretty basic (probably a table top incubator) That being said, I'm curious as to what the disadvantages would be in purchasing a poultry incubator. My understanding is that the functions would be the same, with the primary difference being that poultry eggs are turned and reptile eggs are not, thus, I would either not purchase the egg turner (which is often a separate item) or turn it off, if it's an automatic feature. Am I missing relevant information?

My second question is..... she is currently pre shed, I'm expecting that to happen any day. I understand that it's best to have the incubator up and running 2 wks. before the eggs are expected and further understand that it's usually aprox. 45+ days from shed to lay, so I need to make an incubator purchase soon. Can anyone suggest a reliable, basic incubator which delivers the best bang for the buck?

I'm grateful for the chance to hear from those who are old hands at this, I'm learning that pet stores, even those specializing in reptiles, can have totally conflicting information. Thank you.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Researching incubators

How much money are you willing to spend?

There are many cheap options that may work.
    There are a lot of pricey options that will work.
    *.* TNTC

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

If you are only expecting one clutch, you can make an inexpensive cooler incubator. Just need a cooler, some egg crate, a few water bottles, PC fan (you can use an old cell phone charger to wire it so that you can plug it in), Heat cable and a t-stat. There are plenty of Do-it-yourself videos and step by step instructions out there on how to set it up. It's what I used for my first two years.
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    How much money are you willing to spend?

There are many cheap options that may work.
    There are a lot of pricey options that will work.
    As it's just once clutch for now, I was hoping to get something for not much more than $200.00, with an option to upgrade in a few years if it's something I want to get into when my youngsters mature. From what I've read, incubators tend to keep their value for resale, if I find that's NOT what I want to do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PghBall View Post
    If you are only expecting one clutch, you can make an inexpensive cooler incubator. Just need a cooler, some egg crate, a few water bottles, PC fan (you can use an old cell phone charger to wire it so that you can plug it in), Heat cable and a t-stat. There are plenty of Do-it-yourself videos and step by step instructions out there on how to set it up. It's what I used for my first two years.
    You make a good point, which, in theory, is probably the route to go. However, I am perhaps the least capable of pretty much ANY diy project. Things that would be simple for others would have me ripping out my hair. There are things that for me, make more sense to purchase, esp. since I don't want to be caught empty handed when I really need something that works. If push comes to shove, i can buy, and then resell. Less aggrevation.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to B.P.'s 4me For This Useful Post:

PghBall (04-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i've heard good things about the ZooMed Reptibator. i know a few hobby breeders on the forum here use them successfully for BP's: http://www.lllreptile.com/products/1...ital-incubator it's small, styrofoam, uses a heating element but has a proportional pulse thermostat. i think it's a nice beginner incubator but u def have to upgrade if u want like breed more than 2 clutches at a time.

but for your budget of $200, i agree that u can build a better one. half that money should go to a nice thermostat as well. i built one and it was fun. here's my DIY guide: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ncubator-by-Ax u can find a cheap fridge on Craigslist (or Kijiji since u are Canadian). or maybe u will find one for sale or u can commission a local herper to do it.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    i've heard good things about the ZooMed Reptibator. i know a few hobby breeders on the forum here use them successfully for BP's: http://www.lllreptile.com/products/1...ital-incubator it's small, styrofoam, uses a heating element but has a proportional pulse thermostat. i think it's a nice beginner incubator but u def have to upgrade if u want like breed more than 2 clutches at a time.

but for your budget of $200, i agree that u can build a better one. half that money should go to a nice thermostat as well. i built one and it was fun. here's my DIY guide: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ncubator-by-Ax u can find a cheap fridge on Craigslist (or Kijiji since u are Canadian). or maybe u will find one for sale or u can commission a local herper to do it.
    Well, here's the thing, the reason I was asking about using poultry incubators for reptiles, is that you get a lot more space and what appears to be better units for the same price you'd pay for one specifically for reptiles. I'm trying to understand if there's a reason for that, or if I'm paying more for a brand name. I do know that I wouldn't require an egg turner for a unit I'd purchase for poultry, and chicks require lower hatch temps.,and lower humidity, but as long as these things weren't preset I'm thinking I'd be o.k. as a thermostat is usually built in

A diy method really doesn't work for me, frankly, other than this list, I don't have contacts with other herpers. I don't have the desire, tools, or experience to make an incubator, and most of my family and friends don't even know I have snakes, those that do, are ready to have me committed, so requesting help or advice isn't feasible. Because there is some urgency in getting an incubator for this clutch, I'd prefer to buy one "ready to go" and over the next year or so, I can either pick up a used one or make other arrangements.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B.P.'s 4me View Post
    Well, here's the thing, the reason I was asking about using poultry incubators for reptiles, is that you get a lot more space and what appears to be better units for the same price you'd pay for one specifically for reptiles. I'm trying to understand if there's a reason for that, or if I'm paying more for a brand name. I do know that I wouldn't require an egg turner for a unit I'd purchase for poultry, and chicks require lower hatch temps.,and lower humidity, but as long as these things weren't preset I'm thinking I'd be o.k. as a thermostat is usually built in

A diy method really doesn't work for me, frankly, other than this list, I don't have contacts with other herpers. I don't have the desire, tools, or experience to make an incubator, and most of my family and friends don't even know I have snakes, those that do, are ready to have me committed, so requesting help or advice isn't feasible. Because there is some urgency in getting an incubator for this clutch, I'd prefer to buy one "ready to go" and over the next year or so, I can either pick up a used one or make other arrangements.
    which reptile incubators are u looking at for comparison? please link them? there's not many options at the $200 price point.

i don't think a poultry incubator would work. they all seem to have individual holders for the eggs so that they can be rotated (which reptiles esp. BP's do not need and can be detrimental). the eggs will need to be put in a container that has a medium (i.e. vermiculite) that can hold high humidity. can u stuff a 6quart container tub w/ vermiculite into a poultry incubator.

ultimately your breeding will be limited IMO if u cannot acquire the proper incubator (or maintain the husbandry for maternal incubation).
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

which reptile incubators are u looking at for comparison? please link them? there's not many options at the $200 price point.

i don't think a poultry incubator would work. they all seem to have individual holders for the eggs so that they can be rotated (which reptiles esp. BP's do not need and can be detrimental). the eggs will need to be put in a container that has a medium (i.e. vermiculite) that can hold high humidity. can u stuff a 6quart container tub w/ vermiculite into a poultry incubator.

ultimately your breeding will be limited IMO if u cannot acquire the proper incubator (or maintain the husbandry for maternal incubation).
    Thank you for your help, I appreciate your points but have been researching non stop for the last several days and have learned that many poultry incubators can indeed, be adjusted to work for reptiles. In most cases that individual egg holder is sold separately as it's part of the automated egg turner, (which I wouldn't buy). I do understand that I'd require a container and humidity source but I'm not convinced I'd require a 6 qrt. container. Keep in mind that this is for a single clutch as I just acquired a bp which p.o. indicated may be gravid. She is just going blue and due to shed any day. Based on her behavior in the 10 days that I've had her, I suspect she is, indeed, gravid. These are the 2 I'm looking at right now.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...C6AVO63C&psc=1, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...XWYUD751&psc=1