Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,277

4 members and 2,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question My BP questions/status

Hello everyone! I decided to make a new BP husbandry thread because my old one(https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-time-behavior) had an invalid title(those problems were already more or less solved). I recently got a male BP from XYZReptiles. He is currently 5 months old and around 110 grams. So, my situation isn't so great right now because I just found out my snake has mites, he's eaten the first time in three weeks after I got him(he ate live, I had to get a live hopper), and decided to go into shed on the day that I was supposed to feed him. I will be following GoHerpings mite guide(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnJqt9Up2eI) but using Pro-vent a mite instead of the spray used in the video. When I found out about the mites I quickly soaked my snake and placed him into a large tub with a new water bowl and little flower pot hide. He has been in there for two nights and the temp in there is 82 degrees Fahrenheit(no heat pad). I'm currently waiting for him to shed to move him back into his 24 hour soaked enclosure(and supplies). My now fully washed(mite ready) setup looks like this: 1x Twenty gallon tank, 2x Screen Lock, 1x ZooMed 10-20 gallon 8 watt UTH, 1x iPower Small Thermostat, 2x plastic hides, 1x White Water Bowl, 2x layers of paper towel substrate, 1x Digital Thermometer and Humidity Gauge(I will be getting a second one soon), 1x Infrared Thermometer Gun. My Temps: 89-93 degrees Fahrenheit on hot spot, 78-81 degrees Fahrenheit on the cool spot. My humidity: 57-60%

I will now begin asking my questions. I will post a "" when my answer will be answered. I will add more questions when I have them.

(1) My snake is currently in a humid tub for shedding(I will take him out as soon as he sheds), when should I try and feed him(he will be eating a live small adult mouse)?

(2) Should I feed him regularly while he will be treated from mites?

(3) When should I start mite treatment(before or after he eats)?

I thank everyone who replies and helps me get through this not so great time.
    I like noodles.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: My BP questions/status

Hi,

Have you read the caresheet?

I wouldn't try and feed him if his temp range is a flat 82f - I'd try and get closer to 86f tbh before considering it. It won't do any harm to wait till he sheds and moves back to his full time home.

But flat ranges are best left to people who can really read the snakes body language and behaviour ( like the Barkers at VPI.com ) than people just starting out. Sorry if that sounds a bit mean but, honestly it is the truth.

The very last thing you want is a regurge because of low temps at this stage.

Repeat the P-A-Mite treatment in 30 days and then again in 30 days after that - this should eradicate the mites.

And yes you can feed as normal during treatment once he is back in the correct environment.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (06-06-2018),Craiga 01453 (06-02-2018),Danya (04-24-2018),Ronniex2 (06-02-2018)

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have read the caresheet. What I meant by 82 degrees, is that in his tub(that he will stay in until he sheds) it's 82 degrees. I will only try and feed him when he's back in his actual home that does have a UTH. How long should I wait before I try and feed him in his new looking enclosure? I'm just asking because it looks totally different than what it was(new hides and water bowl). How long do you think it will take him to adjust to those changes?
    I like noodles.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

That is one of those things that can vary from snake to snake - I'd say give him 48 hours minimum to settle in and then offer - but don't stress out if it takes him a bit longer.

I also would recommend not handling them for the settling in period - there will be plenty of time to interact later once things are going smoothly.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-02-2018),Danya (04-26-2018)

Thanks

Thanks for the info! I won't handle him at all until I get him to eat again. Thanks again.
    I like noodles.

Thanks
    ***UPDATE***
    I just got two cans of Pro-vent-a-mite in the mail.
    Monty is still in shed but he has more or less cleared up so I'm expecting a shed tonight.

I will update again when he;s out of shed.
    I like noodles.

Thanks
    ***UPDATE #2***
    Monty has shed an hour ago. Shed came out just fine with just a bit stuck on his tail. Luckily, I witnessed the whole scene because many people don't see snakes shedding often. I currently sprayed everything(except the water bowl) with Provent-a-mite and put Monty back into his old tank. I now have a new question, haha. I'm worried about him burrowing under the paper towel and getting a little bit too hot from the UTH, any way I can stop him from getting down there?
    Thanks for reading.
    I like noodles.

Thanks

I don't think you could stop him from getting under the paper towel.Do you have a thermostat for your UTH? If not I would just unplug it until you get one, or use a dimmer is a interim solution.
    Last edited by MD_Pythons; 04-27-2018 at 10:06 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-02-2018),Danya (04-27-2018)

Thanks

Yes, I do have a thermostat(it's been changing quite rapidly. It's been acting quite strange lately. I'm probably gonna order a Jumpstart tonight or tomorrow. Now that I think about it, I could place some somewhat heavy objects on each corner of the tank to atleast hold it down a little bit. Anyways, Thanks for your reply!
    I like noodles.

Thanks
    I'm throwing out another quick little update.
    I just found poop in one of my BP's new hides. It's awfully strange because he hasn't eaten in about two weeks. He had some strange little red/orange dots near his poop. Is that fine? I also noticed a few more dots in his tub after he shed. Any answers are appreciated.
    I like noodles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast