Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,114

2 members and 2,112 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Caring for Collection While Pregnant: Advice and Precautions to take?

Title pretty much says it all. Husband and I are going to be starting a family and I want to know what precautions I need to take above and beyond regular good hygiene (washing with soap and water, etc.).

I will be going in for an appointment with an OB/GYN soon and I'm sure she'll tell me to get rid of all of my animals as a precaution when she finds out what I have. I'm also sure my non-reptile-friendly family will be crying for the same once they find out we are expecting.

I know there are people in the herp community that have kept collections while pregnant safely and that is what I intend to do. I *may* have to sell off a couple of my higher maintenance animals due to time issues once the baby arrives, but my primary concern now is disease transfer, etc.

My plan, as of now, is to wear gloves for all maintenance and to wear a dust mask (the kind dental hygienists ear) when working on my roach colony, cleaning my pet birds, etc. But I'd appreciate any input people that have been in this situation have.

As always, thanks everyone for your time and assistance!
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Caring for Collection While Pregnant: Advice and Precautions to take?

You may want to read up on lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus, also called LCMV. It is from rats and can affect pregnant women. If you are feeding live you may want to take precautions. Best of luck in the future.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (04-23-2018),Craiga 01453 (04-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    Sounds like you've got the disease transfer part under control with your planned precautions.

Advice from when I was pregnant: my normally cast-iron stomach was anything but, and I had morning sickness from six weeks thru crowning. Sometimes nasty smells would set me off. Also if any enclosures are close to or on the floor, you may want to see what you can do to set them up higher so you don't have to bend down to clean them out. Things can get pretty awkward during the third trimester.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (04-23-2018),Craiga 01453 (04-23-2018),tttaylorrr (04-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I am far from pregnant (as I am a guy), but I am immune suppressed due to anti rejection/immune suppression medication post kidney transplant.

Here are some rules I follow:

1. Wash your hands - all the time. Between animals, definitely after touching any food item or waste item (even if you didn't touch it and where just near it, etc.). I feed F/T, but still wash, wash, wash.

2. If you cannot wash you hands between every animal, use hand sanitizer, it is your friend. I still wash before and after handling and cleaning the reptiles, but in a pinch, will use the hand sanitizer between cages/animals.

3. Keep your hands away from your face unless you have washed your hands! I know, it seems obvious, but sometimes you get an itch, sneeze, etc. Be cognizant and avoid it at all costs!

4. Use anti-bacterial soap. I do not use it in general and believe the overall societal effects are not ideal. However, I do use it before and after doing anything with the reptiles.

I will also comment on the real risks here, IMO.

My doctors, pre-transplant, had me get rid of some of my reptiles, the snakes in particular (2 corns at the time). My ex cared somewhat (was supposed to anyway) for our Beardie. That was a big mistake. Yes, immediately after transplant I was more at risk, but still, people/doctors fear what they don't understand.

I did a lot of research. I talked with breeders, read up on reptile diseases, etc. Am I more at risk, yes, but the risk is not high unless the animal is ill, and even then, is usually limited (depending on disease and how transferable it is). Brian from BHB, was actually really helpful and told me about a friend of his who had a kidney transplant and breeds pythons. He just takes extra precautions.

I remember something my nephrologist said, "why have a kidney transplant and get a second shot at life, and not continue to do the things you love?" He was referring to racing cars, but it applies here too.

I built my (small) collection back up after the transplant and couldn't be happier with my reptile family. I also have yet to get sick from them! It's been over 6 years!

Biggest risk is salmonella but that is exceptionally rare to transfer to a human. You would have to touch something with it, put it in your mouth somehow, etc. Kids who lick turtle butts get it, most adults do not.

Anyway, I know I rambled on here about transplant/immune suppression stuff, etc. However, it's probably similar for you and baby during and soon after pregnancy.

My best advice is be smart and wash those hands!

Good luck starting a family and keep us in the loop!

Take care and be well.

David

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (04-23-2018),C.Marie (04-23-2018),Craiga 01453 (04-23-2018),Kcl (04-23-2018),Sonny1318 (04-23-2018),Timelugia (04-23-2018)

Thanks

Thanks guys for your input, it is greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    You may want to read up on lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus, also called LCMV. It is from rats and can affect pregnant women. If you are feeding live you may want to take precautions. Best of luck in the future.
    -I don't feed live, but do still have one pet fancy rat hanging on. She is over 3, hairless, and surely would pass soon naturally, but I will read up on the condition you mentioned and if necessary, she can be euthanized (she's getting to the point where that would be necessary anyway).

BCR- Thank you for the advice! So far, only slight nausea that has cleared up when I eat, so I've got my fingers crossed and some ginger capsules on order. I may have to look into the caging situation. My husband has said he's willing to help me if needed, but I'm sure some of my terrariums could be moved up higher. The AP cages...maybe not, but I can let him take care of the 2 closest to the floor.

dakski- Those are great tips. I already have some hand sanitizer, but I don't use it as much as I should. I do use antibacterial soap in the reptile room already.

I have some bioactive terrariums setup, but I'm hoping those won't pose additional issues (if I follow the precautions I listed). My main concerns at this point are possible air-born pathogens or particulate that could be carrying stuff. In particular, I'm thinking my dubia colony and the animals that I have that eat them, may have to go.. I wear a dust mask when cleaning them out, but I'm sure there's still a small amount of particulate in the air from their frass.. I'm also hesitant about the birds and the air-born dust they create. I run a HEPA filter in the reptile room and the room where the birds are but I'm just not sure about it. I think the snakes and geckos will be easy to deal with compared to the bugs and birds lol.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    Honestly, most humans worry me far more than any reptile as far as diseases go. The only disease that reptiles carry that humans really need to worry about is salmonella, and you are more likely to get that from a supermarket chicken than you are from most reptiles.

I think as long as proper handwashing protocols are followed you have nothing to worry about.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Momokahn (04-23-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I'm not going to be able to offer any advice, but wanted to stop by to wish you and your husband all the best.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I'm not going to be able to offer any advice, but wanted to stop by to wish you and your husband all the best.
    Thanks! I appreciate it.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    Honestly, most humans worry me far more than any reptile as far as diseases go. The only disease that reptiles carry that humans really need to worry about is salmonella, and you are more likely to get that from a supermarket chicken than you are from most reptiles.

I think as long as proper handwashing protocols are followed you have nothing to worry about.
    Couldn't agree more. Good luck on the beginning of your family.
    Ball Pythons are for reptile lovers. Giant Pythons are for snake lovers.