Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,783

0 members and 2,783 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

Re: WAY to close for comfort !!!!!!! close call..

Glad to hear you and your horse are safe.
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PghBall For This Useful Post:

zina10 (04-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i think i mentioned it before: tornadoes are the scariest natural disaster IMO. they will obliterate everything in their path short of a Fort Knox safe (which they can still throw across 6 lanes of freeway). do your animals act wierd if they know something is coming? i've always heard they got like this 6th sense for this kind of coming thing. we have sirens around us also to warn about volcanoes (i.e. Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Rainier) and sirens along the coast (for tsunami's). i'm not sure if we have ICBM sirens tho.

is stormchasing something big in your area BTW?
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

zina10 (04-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Thanks all You are the best..

And you are right, what spooked me is that it was SO close and I had no idea, no warnings, no "bad feeling", no indication.

It has been confirmed today that it was indeed a tornado. As far as Tornados go, it was a weak one. But when I saw the damage, that is plenty to get hurt. Those were some big trees that got snapped or uprooted. Old oak trees.

Out at the barn the biggest danger would have been those many dang tall trees, stuff flying around and horses going crazy. And nowhere to hide, nowhere that will hold up to a tree falling on it.

Oh well, lesson learned. These can come without watches, warnings or even sirens. They can come without thunder and lightning or that "ominous" feeling and look to the sky. If it had come down on where I was, though, I have no idea what I would have done, there really is nowhere good to hide or duck down. I need to have a good look around there and make some kind of plan.

These trees have such shallow roots, they fall with any kind of wind storm..The storm that made this one and a couple others fall had gusts of around 30 mph (but soaking rain for days up to then). That tornado went by with around 75 mph I believe..

Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

SDA (04-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Now that the worst is over can I see pics of your horse(s)? I love the four legged giant overgrown dogs. Pinto (I forget the actual name of the pattern but the ones that look like jigsaw puzzles) and Roan that are blue are my two absolute favorite color or patterns.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Now that the worst is over can I see pics of your horse(s)? I love the four legged giant overgrown dogs. Pinto (I forget the actual name of the pattern but the ones that look like jigsaw puzzles) and Roan that are blue are my two absolute favorite color or patterns.
    Now you did it. You do know that I like to show off Dymond just as much as Smeagol, and I've had her a lot longer !!! LOL

Paints are the same as Pinto. Pinto stands for the pattern of color with white (like a pied, lol) Paints are a registered breed. You can have colorful ones OR solid colored ones. Pinto are always colored.

Blue Roans ARE gorgeous !!! I love the pattern they get over their coat, each little scratch or mark turns into a dark mark on the light grey pattern. They can look absolutely amazing.

My mare is just a sorrel. But I actually LOVE a bright sorrel that shines like a new penny She was formerly a brood mare, because she has very good bloodlines that go back to some pretty amazing horses. She is opinionated, but respectful. We have come to an understanding over the years, LOL. She can beg like a dog and noone can say no to her face ...

She is also a sweetheart when she wants to be. Super kind to children or people that don't know how to ride. If you can ride, or think you can, she will make sure of that and give a more exciting ride LOL.

Here is a video of my girl. My friend Jen signed up for a "cutting cows" competition, but her horse went lame the night before, so she asked to borrow Dymond. I was a little skeptical, being that my mare never done that sort of thing and never been around cows. Plus can get a bit hot headed. But she did AWESOME for my friend, acted like she had done this before. I was so proud

https://youtu.be/ihSqTYzaV0k

And then they made me get on. I had NO idea what to do really, never done anything remotely like that, and my mare only once. On top of that we got a really stubborn calf to cut. LOL. Not so refined as when my friend did it. They kept telling me not to race around or I would get all the calfs spooked and running, but it looks SO SLOW, LOL. All in all we had a blast and I was proud of my old broodmare. She actually did a better job then quite a few horses there, that needed to be kicked and spurred and were sour as can be.

https://youtu.be/MuDW8EbbAh8

This shows how kind she is with kids or people that can't ride. She is normally quite the speedy horse and reactive. But with this little boy that had no balance, she kept breaking out of the trot and was as slow and careful as she can be..My friend Jen again, using Dymond for a lesson.

https://youtu.be/PCKJi5nZ5rk

Here she is hollering for company...being dramatic.

https://youtu.be/hGAvsmcmvQ8

And finally, in all her ticked off glory! I dared to give her a cold bath on a rather cool day. So she was MAD !!! And crazy. I finally just let her go to run off the energy. First she had to angrily roll around to clean off the clean! Then off she went , LOL. Make sure your speakers are up, as she is screaming like a banshee, too

https://youtu.be/OWHeOcjICd4

I know this is a LOT of pictures and videos.. I love all my animals and this is one I've had for a long time. Spent $6000 on surgery on her once, with no guarantees it would work, and she was 17 years old at that time. But what can I say. I looked at her and she looked at me as I was given the option of surgery or putting her down. Thankfully it worked and every day since then has been a gift
    Last edited by zina10; 04-23-2018 at 11:45 PM.
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

GpBp (04-24-2018),Prognathodon (04-24-2018),purpleroan (04-26-2018),SDA (04-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

What a great personality. I don't have room to care for a horse but I sure wish I did. She sounds great.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

zina10 (04-24-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    What a great personality. I don't have room to care for a horse but I sure wish I did. She sounds great.
    She really is. We have such a bond. I swear, I know what she is thinking, saying or wanting. All the time. With animals there is SO MUCH MORE communication then people realize. Their body language, faces they make, tones in their "voices". If one only takes the time to watch and learn. So much communication going on

I'm sure she knows me inside and out too, how I feel, what I think, when I've had enough of her shenanigans, LOL.

She is a very sensitive horse. A stern look or word is enough. Rarely did I have to get stricter then that, and when I do, she is so offended, LOL!! Before I got her, she was used only to give birth every year. She seemed to have no personality. She knew nothing. I was rather new at all this, too. We learned together, not something I would recommend when it comes to horses. There was a bit of blood, sweat and tears. But years later, we are as solid as can be. My family adores her, even people afraid of horses trust her.

She will be with me till the end. Even though certain health issues mean less riding or eventually retirement for her. I just enjoy being around her. I enjoy the physical labor and being out in nature that comes with owning a horse.

I'm not surprised, though, that she felt the danger nearby. More so then other horses, as she is smart and very sensitive to anything going on.
    Zina

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    She really is. We have such a bond. I swear, I know what she is thinking, saying or wanting. All the time. With animals there is SO MUCH MORE communication then people realize. Their body language, faces they make, tones in their "voices". If one only takes the time to watch and learn. So much communication going on

I'm sure she knows me inside and out too, how I feel, what I think, when I've had enough of her shenanigans, LOL.

She is a very sensitive horse. A stern look or word is enough. Rarely did I have to get stricter then that, and when I do, she is so offended, LOL!! Before I got her, she was used only to give birth every year. She seemed to have no personality. She knew nothing. I was rather new at all this, too. We learned together, not something I would recommend when it comes to horses. There was a bit of blood, sweat and tears. But years later, we are as solid as can be. My family adores her, even people afraid of horses trust her.

She will be with me till the end. Even though certain health issues mean less riding or eventually retirement for her. I just enjoy being around her. I enjoy the physical labor and being out in nature that comes with owning a horse.

I'm not surprised, though, that she felt the danger nearby. More so then other horses, as she is smart and very sensitive to anything going on.
    I agree. Animals communicate with body language more than anything. My husky sneezes when in protest to what I tell him to do. Is the only time he sneezes. Took me a while to notice but once I did, I grumped at him and she looked at me sideways. He was like, "I thought I could talk back in a language you didn't understand". All my animals relay information and thoughts through actions more than sounds. My Great Dane is so emotional. I threaten to bite her when she pisses me off and she tries to get low and away. I never bite her but she responds to me as if I will. I think is because it sounds more like a growl. She can't see so verbal communication is important to her. She is vocal with her communication as a result also. All my snakes have different ways of letting me know when it is not a good time to handle them, hunger, and when they are ok with being handled. I think it is simple but also you have to pay attention. The bearded dragon rescue I took in last week communicates also. If he has eaten a big meal he doesn't like being handled and huffs up if you try with his mouth open. That is his way if saying "I am full and right now is not a good time." The rest of the time he is ok with being handled. Was told he was aggressive bitter. He can be a spaz but so far he just needs understanding more than anything. He eats well though and love him the same.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

zina10 (04-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    What a gorgeous amazing baby.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

GpBp (04-24-2018),zina10 (04-24-2018)

Thanks
    @zina10 she is gorgeous!! QH? What are her bloodlines?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to purpleroan For This Useful Post:

zina10 (04-30-2018)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast