Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,885

1 members and 2,884 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Needs some advice...

Needs some feedback on this an please be upfront an honest don't hold back I won't be offended.....

Last year I took my BP to my daughters 4th grade class they loved it.....

I no longer have BP but my daughter an her teacher want too see the retics.... 5th grade class

I have 4...
    DVa a GC 4½ ft very easy going loves to climb an interact... On a:cens0r:scale of 1-10 in trust worthy 10 be the highest I'd say she is a 8..

Dreki is a ternate/jampea cross she is About 5ft very mellow not super active hates her head touched an loves too poo an pee usually after 3 days of eating she is good... I'd say she is 8 trust worthy...

Moria..... My Citron she is about 4ft... Skittish but not a biter I'd say a 5 in trust worthy....

Loki.... 50% SD platinum about 4 ft... Extremely active all over the place but id say he is a 6 in trust worthy..

My daughter wants this I'd like it too be a educational experience with a benefit to the retic community an not a negative experience would love to hear feedback and suggestions please...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Needs some advice...

I wouldn’t if you aren’t confident in the snakes 100%. But if you’re going to do it anyway I’d say don’t let the kids handle them. Someone gets bit and you’re looking at a potential lawsuit

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I’m sorry man, but me personally. I would never bring a retic to that kind of environment/situation. It an accident waiting to happen. But that’s just my opinion. And I’m old school as can be, so definitely a no outta me bro, Peace.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-22-2018),Reinz (04-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    I took three of my pythons to a high school for a presentation last year. The class was for seniors taking environmental sciences, so I took in a very well-socialized 50% SD retic that was around 6' at the time, a ball I've used before to introduce people to snakes, and a Savu python, to discuss how they had adapted to their various environments, climates, availability of food, etc.

The Savu is corn-snake quick so I actually held onto her the most. The ball and retic got held quite a bit while I monitored, but the "kids" in there were 17-18 years old, not grade school age. For fifth graders I would take in my most trustworthy snake and let them pet/touch it on the back but not hold it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (04-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    I’m sorry man, but me personally. I would never bring a retic to that kind of environment/situation. It an accident waiting to happen. But that’s just my opinion. And I’m old school as can be, so definitely a no outta me bro, Peace.
    I think its great that you want to do this for your daughter, and I did the same for my son years ago with a Royal and very young boa.

However, knowing what I know now, I think I'd pass.

At the very least check out what your "local" ordinances are. While federal legislation may not prohibit owning animals like retics, burns and boas, I'm not far away from an area where municipalities have imposed ordinances that completely restrict ownership of certain types of snakes and certain sizes.

I tend to agree with Sonny's "old school" view. The snakes are YOUR/OUR hobby and I really wouldn't want every parent of your kid's friends to know you have snakes. Maybe all will be OK, but all it takes is one person to point out that you may or may not have something worth looking into. That may never factor out as a big deal, but you never know.

Say what you will, but I'd rather keep my beloved hobby as low key as possible. I share here on the board and with very trusted friends. I'm lucky to live in a fairly "liberal" city the it comes to owning certain types of animals, but I'm pretty private about my non-standard pets.

Ultimately, it is your choice.

I hope whatever you decide, it goes the way you want it to go.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (04-23-2018)

Thanks
    I would normally say go for it, fight the ignorance that plagues the genral public about snakes and reptiles, but that being said.....

There is a reason that snake shows that do events usually use burms instead of retic as a giant snake. Even the sweetest retic is far more unpredictable than a burm or a boa, and they don't usually tolerate pokey noisy little children well, so I'd pass on this if I were you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (04-23-2018)

Thanks

After talking to the teacher we came to the conclusion of going ahead an bring them in I'm not sure if I'm going to bring in all four of them or just bring in two or three.

Came up with some guidelines and rules none of the kids are going to be able to handle the snakes by themselves they can view them up close touch him but that's the extent of it I explain to the teacher my concerns...

We both agreed this is going to be an educational experience for the kids as well as a positive promotion of the species... she's well aware of the Banning of large constrictors in Florida and New York City so she like to do anything that will promote a positive feedback regarding these snakes...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to robert7107 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (04-23-2018)

Thanks
    I would plan on bringing one. There were several I could have brought, except one was in shed, and another had just eaten, and another had sausage butt....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I would plan on bringing one. There were several I could have brought, except one was in shed, and another had just eaten, and another had sausage butt....
    Sausage butt???

Thanks

Sausage butt preceeds enclosure cleaning by a day or so.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

robert7107 (04-23-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast