Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,971

2 members and 2,969 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: welcome home, Wavvy

Wow that is a really nice Crestie. Definitely breeder quality.
    Last edited by ROSIEonFIRE; 04-23-2018 at 11:22 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROSIEonFIRE For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (04-23-2018),zina10 (04-24-2018)

Thanks

Beautiful tank set up too. I would wait until you get the ledges to move him in, mostly because you need to be really careful with that substrate that he doesn't end up eating it and getting impacted. I was trying to make a planted set up work for a while but gave up on the project when I thought I saw my crestie eat some dirt for no apparent reason. Just a suggestion, brown paper towels would probably still be pretty nice looking and a lot safer and easier to clean.

Also wanted to mention, I saw u talking a few posts up about feeding roaches. The advice of all the breeders is that unless you are an expert in crested gecko dietary requirements you should feed crested gecko diet, with insects only as an occasional treat. Cresties have very particular requirements and most people will not be able to adequately meet them. In addition to that if you are going to feed live insects AND keep that sub, you really .must. feed him in a different tank. He could easily end up eating the sub (looks like maybe eco earth?) accidentally while lunging for a bug and getting impacted.

I have had my crested gecko Boogie Monster for 13 years and have been using Repashy Crested Gecko Diet the whole time (he's still going strong btw!). It is really very cheap, I only go through 1 or 2 bottles a year and it's the best diet on the market. You can even get it in different flavors if you really want. Once when petsmart stopped selling Repashy I tried their crummy new brand and it was CLEARLY inferior, I returned it as soon as my Repashy CGD came in the mail, totally worth the 2 or 3 extra bucks.

Also ps if you are set on insects and fruit, dont forget to dust with vitamin D3 powder!

Sorry if any of this was told to u before, I didn't read the whole thread as it is kind of long. GL w ur new pet!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ROSIEonFIRE For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (04-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ROSIEonFIRE View Post
    Beautiful tank set up too. I would wait until you get the ledges to move him in, mostly because you need to be really careful with that substrate that he doesn't end up eating it and getting impacted. I was trying to make a planted set up work for a while but gave up on the project when I thought I saw my crestie eat some dirt for no apparent reason. Just a suggestion, brown paper towels would probably still be pretty nice looking and a lot safer and easier to clean.
    the substrate is fine Reptile Prime. the rescue woman i got him from said that this substrate would be okay to keep him on as long as he doesn't feed on it. of course i didn't take her word as Bible, but i read up on it and that was generally the case.

Also wanted to mention, I saw u talking a few posts up about feeding roaches. The advice of all the breeders is that unless you are an expert in crested gecko dietary requirements you should feed crested gecko diet, with insects only as an occasional treat. Cresties have very particular requirements and most people will not be able to adequately meet them.
    i am a novice in crested gecko dietary requirements. the roaches will absolutely be a special treat every now and then. my Discoid colony is small and i don't produce very many; i just figured since i have roaches, i might as well try offering them for a varied diet. thank you for your insight tho, it is very very much appreciated.

In addition to that if you are going to feed live insects AND keep that sub, you really .must. feed him in a different tank. He could easily end up eating the sub (looks like maybe eco earth?) accidentally while lunging for a bug and getting impacted.
    @zina10 feeds her lil guy roaches in a separate tank (at least i've gathered that much from her recent post), and i guess now i will do the same. again, the substrate is fine Reptile Prime. should i just keep him on paper towel instead? thanks again for the info.

I have had my crested gecko Boogie Monster for 13 years and have been using Repashy Crested Gecko Diet the whole time (he's still going strong btw!). It is really very cheap, I only go through 1 or 2 bottles a year and it's the best diet on the market. You can even get it in different flavors if you really want. Once when petsmart stopped selling Repashy I tried their crummy new brand and it was CLEARLY inferior, I returned it as soon as my Repashy CGD came in the mail, totally worth the 2 or 3 extra bucks.
    13 years!!!!!!!!!! amazing!!!

i just bought 2 oz of Pangea watermelon CGD and 2 oz of Pangea CGD with insect. how long do you think those will last me? he's currently eating a mixture of both of those (the rescue gave me about 4oz of the powdered food), and i figured i'd try to offer them separately to see if he has a preference (along with a mixed one).

how often should i change out his food? every 2 days or every other day?

Also ps if you are set on insects and fruit, dont forget to dust with vitamin D3 powder!
    i won't!

Sorry if any of this was told to u before, I didn't read the whole thread as it is kind of long. GL w ur new pet!
    no, none of this was told to me before so i appreciate you taking the time to offer advice! thank you!!!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    the substrate is fine Reptile Prime. the rescue woman i got him from said that this substrate would be okay to keep him on as long as he doesn't feed on it. of course i didn't take her word as Bible, but i read up on it and that was generally the case.

i am a novice in crested gecko dietary requirements. the roaches will absolutely be a special treat every now and then. my Discoid colony is small and i don't produce very many; i just figured since i have roaches, i might as well try offering them for a varied diet. thank you for your insight tho, it is very very much appreciated.

@zina10 feeds her lil guy roaches in a separate tank (at least i've gathered that much from her recent post), and i guess now i will do the same. again, the substrate is fine Reptile Prime. should i just keep him on paper towel instead? thanks again for the info.

13 years!!!!!!!!!! amazing!!!

i just bought 2 oz of Pangea watermelon CGD and 2 oz of Pangea CGD with insect. how long do you think those will last me? he's currently eating a mixture of both of those (the rescue gave me about 4oz of the powdered food), and i figured i'd try to offer them separately to see if he has a preference (along with a mixed one).

how often should i change out his food? every 2 days or every other day?

i won't!

no, none of this was told to me before so i appreciate you taking the time to offer advice! thank you!!!
    Haha yeah Boogie's an old man. Back when I got Boogie folks expected an adequately cared-for CG to live anywhere from 10 to 15 years, but back then cresties were really new to captivity and we were still learning about how to best care for them. I remember when flavored CGD came out, everyone was FREAKING out about it!

Anyways, as for how often you should refresh his food, I would say it depends. I really put a fairly small amount of CGD in Boogies dish every night. I actually feed him using a bottlecap, believe it or not, because I found that most other containers were too large. I put a bit in, probably a pile a lil bigger than my thumb nail and mix generously with water. If I put in much more he doesn't eat all of it and there is waste. Also, on the occasions where he doesn't eat all of his food, I will occasionally rehydrate it but it doesn't seem like he likes it as much the 2nd night cause it never looks like he eats that much. To sum up, yes it is perfectly fine to rehydrate leftover food. Experiment and see what works best for your particular animal. How long your food lasts will depend on how much wavey likes to eat and also your feeding method, whether you like to mix up a lot of food or prefer to make the serving size a bit more tailored, but I wouldn't be too surprised if what you have now lasts you a year. Also dont forget to mist well once a day, (preferably at night or in the evening).

When it comes to whether or not u should keep the cocofiber sub or switch to paper towels, that is really a personal choice. The coco fiber probably does look more natural but it definitely comes with some downsides. Any substrate that may possibly be swallowed is really never totally safe, and ingesting sub is one of the top preventable causes of death for a crestie. That being said I have known lots of people who have kept their animals in planted tanks for a long time and haven't had a problem. It really depends on how you feel and what you're willing to risk for your aesthetic enjoyment. Personally, I would go with paper towel all things considered, especially since I have seen my own gecko hiding under his plants on the floor of his tank so many times and u know, eating dirt that one time *facepalm*. You may also want to look into reptile carpet as there seem to be a bunch of different such products on the market, although I dont really know much about them and as such cannot offer any advice.

Well it sounds like you have done your homework. Let me know if you have any more questions and of course the pangaea forum is where I learned everything I know about CG care so feel free to check it out and feel free to PM me if u ever have any additional questions

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ROSIEonFIRE For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (04-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    I don't know how I missed this?! Congrats on your new little critter!!! He's too cute!!

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (04-23-2018)

Thanks

so i decided to move him into his 12x12x18; there was no sense in waiting imo. it's still missing its final touches but they'll be here soon.

i just hope he likes it

Last edited by tttaylorrr; 04-23-2018 at 04:52 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (04-27-2018)

Thanks

he found his centerpiece tree.

i replaced his food not long ago; i hope he finds it.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

he ate!!!

i caught him on a nighttime stroll through his new digs.

4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

zina10 (04-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    What a good boy eating his food !!! And love his new home, sure he does, too !!!

Smeagol prefers bugs, sigh. I wait him out and make him eat the Gecko diet, but he gets so mad, LOL. Couple time he pooped in it. Then he DID eat a bit, but flipped his little bowl and threw it on the ground. What a stinker !!

Seems that Wavvy is far better behaved then Smeagol is !!!
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

16. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (04-23-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    What a good boy eating his food !!! And love his new home, sure he does, too !!!

Smeagol prefers bugs, sigh. I wait him out and make him eat the Gecko diet, but he gets so mad, LOL. Couple time he pooped in it. Then he DID eat a bit, but flipped his little bowl and threw it on the ground. What a stinker !!

Seems that Wavvy is far better behaved then Smeagol is !!!
    the rescue gave me watermelon and bug powder but they were mixed together in the container. when my pangea shipment comes in, i'm going to offer one flavor in one dish and one in another and see how it goes and/or if he has a preference.

also:
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

18. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Prognathodon (04-24-2018)

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast