Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,163

1 members and 3,162 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over soaking?

Thanks

Re: Over soaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Scherf View Post
    I have a female that does nothing but soak, and then I have some that do not go anywhere near the bowl, I honestly feel as though they do what they like, now when they are in it for more than a day I always pull her out to check water and scales

Thank you, good to know your female does the same thing, MOST of mine fall into the latter category. I put the soaking container where it's warmed by the heat tape so temperature isn't an issue but I'll keep a close eye on her belly scales.

Thanks

Yeah, I have two that are absolute mermaids. I couldn't figure out why. It really bugged me for a while. I checked and double checked for mites, temps, and humidity, but found no real problems with their enclosures or them. Now, though, with spring here, I find them in their water bowls within 15 minutes of me filling them with fresh water, and back into their hides within a few hours. Go figure! lol
    Last edited by dadofsix; 04-23-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    5.1 "chitlins"
    0.0.2 Royal Pythons
    0.1 German Shepherds
    6.0 black short-haired cats
    1.0 long-haired grey tabby cat
    1.1 grey short-haired "ding-bat" kittens
    0.2 black long-haired cats

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dadofsix For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (04-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

I have one male that soaks right before shedding. My 2 girls don't soak or at least I have never caught them. My boa use to soak but she had mites when I got her and am thankful that is over. My retic soaks right after eating or if she has to poop. Easy clean up but she always does it right after getting fresh water.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (04-23-2018)

Thanks

Update on over soaking female.

So this girl is definitely getting ready to shed, color is dull and eyes just went blue over the last couple of days. I'm assuming that she is, indeed, gravid and this is the "pre lay" shed, but have noticed her lying inverted the last 2 days and she seems very lethargic (i thought she was dead the first time I noticed this) From what I've read, laying inverted seems to be something that happens closer to the lay date than what I think we are. I'm a bit worried, how much time can I expect before those eggs arrive as she hasn't ACTUALLY shed yet, (although I anticipate it will happen ANY day).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I have one male that soaks right before shedding. My 2 girls don't soak or at least I have never caught them. My boa use to soak but she had mites when I got her and am thankful that is over. My retic soaks right after eating or if she has to poop. Easy clean up but she always does it right after getting fresh water.
    Thank you Skyrivers,you may be on the right track, she had a poop during the night, so I'll be curious to know if she continue with her soaker routine today. :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dadofsix View Post
    Yeah, I have two that are absolute mermaids. I couldn't figure out why. It really bugged me for a while. I checked and double checked for mites, temps, and humidity, but found no real problems with their enclosures or them. Now, though, with spring here, I find them in their water bowls within 15 minutes of me filling them with fresh water, and back into their hides within a few hours. Go figure! lol
    Love the "mermaid" reference!!! Still smiling at the mental image it evokes. LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12