Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,310

2 members and 3,308 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Switching from classic tank to exo-terra. Advice? :)

Yea only time I really do anything to the enclosures now is just put a damp towel on top to bump the humidity during shed...other then that it ranges from 55-60 all the time. I like pvc just not the price tag lol. That and having to wait an eternity for it either. Gotta love being in Florida lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by littlemaxbigworld View Post
    I wish I could afford a pvc enclosure right away but it will be several months right now. I got the exoteric on sale at a pet shop also using a 20% coupon I got from them so it was a steal. I know humidity can be an issue, but I have a warm air humidifier im thinking of directing into the tank! Runs for 24 hours and I don’t mind refilling it daily at all. That may help! But as far as an exoterra goes I’m stuck right now. Not for forever though. I’ll get some of the decorative jungle type paper to cover the sides for her too.
    Well, if that is what you have and need to use, then it is what it is Just make the best of it.

I would try to work with the humidity without directing any kind of mist into the tank. The warm air humidifiers can breed bacteria as is, and keeping the enclosure to humid and warm, breed bacteria as well.

You just need to try to keep the tank from drying out really low. If you can stay around 50 or so, you should be good, then bump it up during shed. Try to use a substrate that holds some moisture, that will help. You can mist some areas, leaving a few dry ones. The last thing you need is a Ball that gets blister disease from staying to damp because of trying to get the humidity up.

See if there is some way to block the airflow from that strip in the front. Then you can cover part of the lid and simply mist whenever needed.

Creating privacy by covering the sides and back is a very good idea. You want the enclosure itself act as a big hide, it really makes a difference when they don't get startled by movement from all sides.

It will work out, until you can get something better and easier to maintain
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks
    If you want to bump humidity in the exo you have, the best way is to cover part of the top. I ordered glass inserts from NEHerpetoculture. They size them based on your EXO size and they drop into place and fit perfectly. You could also measure the top areas and go to a hardware store and have them cut you some glass or plexi to fit. Be sure not to cover the whole top though and to not put the glass or plexi underneath a CHE if you are using one, or it will crack.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Registered User littlemaxbigworld's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    Yea only time I really do anything to the enclosures now is just put a damp towel on top to bump the humidity during shed...other then that it ranges from 55-60 all the time. I like pvc just not the price tag lol. That and having to wait an eternity for it either. Gotta love being in Florida lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ive used a damp towel too on my ten gallon and it’s worked well. I just hate hate hate the ten gallon though. But rookie mistake. Even going to a specialty pet store where they reputably breed they still were just like here take this kit bye. Probably just saying goodbye to another snake they assumed may get inadequate care and get rehomed in a few years. She was happy to answer my questions but was still pretty detached from the whole experience. So I’m glad I have you guys to actually help me learn haha. I used to live in Florida too! Grew up there. I can see how the natural environment would be so good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    If you want to bump humidity in the exo you have, the best way is to cover part of the top. I ordered glass inserts from NEHerpetoculture. They size them based on your EXO size and they drop into place and fit perfectly. You could also measure the top areas and go to a hardware store and have them cut you some glass or plexi to fit. Be sure not to cover the whole top though and to not put the glass or plexi underneath a CHE if you are using one, or it will crack.
    Okay I’ll try that! What I have right now, which I’ll give a shot first since I already did the work, was cut pieces of cardboard for three of the four sections of screen on top and wrapped them in tinfoil and they fit very very snug. I can also cover the front vents if need be. What’s a CHE?

Thanks

Ceramic heat emitter, think a bulb that gives off heat but no light. I prefer those to the usual red bulbs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littlemaxbigworld View Post
    Okay I’ll try that! What I have right now, which I’ll give a shot first since I already did the work, was cut pieces of cardboard for three of the four sections of screen on top and wrapped them in tinfoil and they fit very very snug. I can also cover the front vents if need be. What’s a CHE?
    It is what MD_Pythons said. It is a ceramic disk that screws into a light socket and emits heat, but no light. They work well to raise ambient temps but get too hot to be on glass. I accidentally cracked a glass cover piece for my exoterra when I forgot and sat a CHE on top of it.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

8. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

littlemaxbigworld (04-25-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Pythons View Post
    Ceramic heat emitter, think a bulb that gives off heat but no light. I prefer those to the usual red bulbs.

Ooooh okay cool! Are they pricey?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12