Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 904

0 members and 904 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Heating tape question!

***MAIN QUESTION***
    I have 40Qt tubs with 3in heat tape installed in the back of the rack (short side). Is that enough for fully grown BPs or should I add another 3in section in front of the one already in there? This might sound like a silly question, but I'm going from glass tanks to plastic tubs.

*Secondary Question*
    I plan on getting a few babies, would it be better to put them in a 20Qt tub instead of using the 40Qt I already have? I know it's more convenient for spacing issues, however that's currently not an issue for me.

Thanks for the help guys/gals, excited to be back!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Just some information but in winter months it is possible the rack temperature from top to bottom can vary a bit. This is due to the simplified saying that hot air rises. Just so you know if in the winter your racks have variable temps.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Bump

My question still stands, is 3in of heat tape enough for a big tub? I know the heat will radiate out, and assuming I have the temp set correctly should heat up the back section nicely.
    I'm used to the ZooMed pads which cover a significant portion of my glass tanks. Moving to a tub/rack system, tape just seems so small.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Re: Heating tape question!

welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaust View Post
    I have 40Qt tubs with 3in heat tape installed in the back of the rack (short side). Is that enough for fully grown BPs or should I add another 3in section in front of the one already in there? This might sound like a silly question, but I'm going from glass tanks to plastic tubs.
    they can live off 3in heat tape, but would live more comfortably off a wider band like 6inch heat tape. they would scrunch up closer and shift their coils/body more often over the 3inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaust View Post
    *Secondary Question*
    I plan on getting a few babies, would it be better to put them in a 20Qt tub instead of using the 40Qt I already have? I know it's more convenient for spacing issues, however that's currently not an issue for me.
    i'm a subscriber to the growing out the enclosure size as your snake grows philospophy, so i would start with a smaller tub. i personally start out babies in a 6quart tub, but i guess u can use a 20quart if that's all u have. just add clutter. also be prepared to move down in tub size (meaning u have to buy something else smaller than 20quarts) if u start having feeding and stress issues.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Jaust (04-26-2018)

Thanks

Re: Heating tape question!

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    welcome back!
    Thank you! It's good to be back.

I appreciate the advice, I'll set them up in something small and work up from there.

Thank you for getting back to me on the heat tape! I cant find opinions on this anywhere, just "this is what I do" sort of posts. I'll probably end up gutting the tape and reinstalling new/fresh tape to cover more of the enclosure, however it's nice to know that it's not a super pressing issue.

Thanks again!