Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,149

0 members and 2,149 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered User littlemaxbigworld's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Did I get lucky with my BP or are most of them like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt7212 View Post
    My 3 girls all have slightly different personalities. Chiquita, my Banana Yellow Belly was the most flinchy/jumpy but she has noticeably mellowed out very quickly. She still flinches a bit, but you can feel her relax now.

Daenerys, my BEL, is the sweetest. When she is out she will explore only as far as she can without letting go of my hand. She will stretch out and look around, keeping her tail wrapped around my fingers, even when my hand is on the couch, and she always returns back and rests her head on my thumb to just chill.

The other night when putting her back in her tub, she stretched over to her water dish, flicked her tongue at it a couple times and then stopped to take a good 30-40second drink before working her way down and towards her hide. It was so cool watching her take little gulps of water and she only let go of my hand once the first third of her body was inside of her hide.

My point, they are all a little different. Sounds like you got yourself a good one.
    My gosh I love that! Bel sounds like a sweetheart. Now that I have one python I can not stop craving more. But I’m resisting my need to have more haha. I won’t get a pet unless I am 100% ready and can fully provide them with all they need. And so I know it isn’t the time. But I am hooked. I even kind of got mocked the other day when I called two exotic veterinary clinics by my house not too long ago just for asking if they take ball pythons because I was ‘just looking for resources in case my snake gets sick. I don’t want to wait until last minute to know where to go’. Both vet clinics were like ‘ooooookay?....so do you need anything?’ Yes I do. Peace of mind and satisfaction of my desire to be the perfect snake parent. 😩

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littlemaxbigworld For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (04-20-2018),Sgt7212 (04-19-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by littlemaxbigworld View Post
    The lack of experience is a good point! My judgement only exists based on her previous self and her actions, and watching her progression. I notice little things like how relaxed her muscles are on my hand, how when she was seemingly tense her tongue would come out much less often if not at all and when exploring she would keep her head off of and away from my hand. Now her muscles are always relaxed and her tongue is always picking up stuff and she will lay her head on me as she crawls and even nuzzle and nudge her face between my fingers to the point where I know all too well what her eyeballs feel like hahah. But that progression is my only experience and the only thing I have to go off of. Most times I hold her for fifteen to twenty and admire her and let her crawl around my bed. Here and there’s I watch a movie or an episode or two of a show and just let her explore with me and she’ll curl up and rest her head on my hand and - what I interpret as - relax and hang out. But I will most definitely be more aware of my interactions with her. I just love her so much.

And on another positive note, my cat and my snake couldn’t seem to give any less of a :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: about each other than they already do. The most important part being my cat’s indifference. He truly doesn’t even acknowledge her existence. It’s very comforting haha.
    Thanks for your reply, it shows you care and are willing to learn and adjust. Just limit your handling sessions to a few a week and 30 minutes TOPS. Otherwise you may be stressing the snake without really being able to see it. Another thing to consider is that your house probably doesn't have the same temp and humidity requirements that BPs rely on inside their enclosures. This could lead to illnesses. Even for experienced keepers it can be tough to see illnesses develop, snakes are very good at hiding them until it's too late. Better to put the snakes well being ahead of our desires to handle them

Also, you mentioned the cat...are the two in the same room while your snake is out??
    If so, you're flirting with disaster. It's just simply not worth the risk. Things can go really wrong, really quick. It only takes a split second for one to spook the other and lash out, then who knows what could happen....better not to find out the hard way. When my snakes are out, the cat is in another room. Snakes and other animals don't mix, period.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 04-20-2018 at 06:18 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Thanks for your reply, it shows you care and are willing to learn and adjust. Just limit your handling sessions to a few a week and 30 minutes TOPS. Otherwise you may be stressing the snake without really being able to see it. Another thing to consider is that your house probably doesn't have the same temp and humidity requirements that BPs rely on inside their enclosures. This could lead to illnesses. Even for experienced keepers it can be tough to see illnesses develop, snakes are very good at hiding them until it's too late. Better to put the snakes well being ahead of our desires to handle them

Also, you mentioned the cat...are the two in the same room while your snake is out??
    If so, you're flirting with disaster. It's just simply not worth the risk. Things can go really wrong, really quick. It only takes a split second for one to spook the other and lash out, then who knows what could happen....better not to find out the hard way. When my snakes are out, the cat is in another room. Snakes and other animals don't mix, period.
    Okay! I just watch my girl more than handle her. You’re right that I wouldn’t know if she’s sick necessarily. I did research on illness BP get and what to look for so that I have some basis of understanding, and also called some vets around town the other day to find out who treats pythons god forbid anything ever happens, but I most definitely wouldn’t want to unintentionally make her sick!

As a string rule of thumb they are not. I just gave them one chance to be because I wanted to know if something went wrong and my baby girl got out of her enclosure or a roommate did something stupid if my cat was a major threat or not. Luckily my cat has zero hunting instinct. But as a major rule, my time with my snake is completely separate. Her tank is in my room and my bedroom door is also always closed when I am not home and my cat luckily has zero access to her tank when I’m not around.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to littlemaxbigworld For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-20-2018)

Thanks
    Today she switched from mice to rats with zero problem! I kept getting warned at pet stores and reading that it can sometimes be difficult to switch and that they don’t always like the smell and yadayada but she was super stoked to eat this little rat today. My heart was a little sad. The rat squeaked more and took longer to die, but she did great! And that’s what’s important.

Rats have more more protein and such right? If I remember correctly? Which I might not haha

Which also leads to the question: I feed live because I honestly don’t feel like reheating a frozen dead animal go warm temperatures and making it dance to get eaten. And also as much as it saddens me, there must be some sort of pleasure for the snake to be able to stalk and hunt and strike, right? Anyways, I feed live and always keep a chopstick ready god forbid something went wrong because I’ve read to never ever feed live unsupervised and if the snake does not eat it to immediately remove the rodent once lack of interest is obvious. I don’t want her to get bitten. Or if her dumb self strikes the butt I don’t want a dying animal to bite her to survive. And then I watch her swallow to make sure it all goes smoothly. Is there anything else to keep in mind or that I am missing?
    Last edited by littlemaxbigworld; 04-21-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12