Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,160

2 members and 3,158 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Does anyone else prefer tanks to tubs?

Depends on the snake.
    I prefer keeping my 2 red tail boas in PVC enclosures.
    I prefer to keep bps in racks.
    I have a cornsnake, Colombian rainbow, and a hognose in tanks. Mainly just for the fun of it. However, I do have plans for making a terrarium or a pladarium in one of my large exo terras for a green tree python.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tegu For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (04-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    Just curious. I'm finding that, for me, it's a lot easier to maintain humidity in a modified tank than it is to retain heat in a tub.

(A caveat/disclaimer to this post is that we have a PVC enclosure on order. Assuming we like it and BP is happy, we will eventually be changing over to all PVC.)
    I'd choose just about anything including a bird cage over a RUB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (04-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I'd choose just about anything including a bird cage over a RUB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Why?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Not for most species, I tried to keep a friends bp in the tank she used, even in my heated and humidified reptile room (I added a uth to the tank for hotspot) it was a nightmare. No air flow at the bottom of the cage and the glass itself meant it always stayed cooler than the rest of the room no matter what. Cruddy air flow doesn't sit well with me for a lot of reasons, snakes are already prone to respiratory issues enough. In general glass fish tanks are shaped poorly for snakes, too tall, too narrow. If they get any direct sunlight it can become a death trap really fast. They are heavy and fragile which makes cleaning awful. Often they are used with heat lamps which adds more hassle with humidity and a greater fire risk. I could see keeping my hognose in a custom shallow aquarium maybe as she's small and doesn't have high humidity needs but still prefer a less breakable cage.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

MD_Pythons (04-19-2018),PokeyTheNinja (04-21-2018),tegu (04-19-2018)

Thanks
    I prefer tubs because ball pythons just seem to thrive in them more than tanks. Tubs hold humidity and heat better than tanks, they also provide a more secure habitat for the snake. Another thing is their food response seems to be 100x better and tubs mimick their habitat in the wild. Nothing against tanks but I can’t stand when people make like keeping them in tubs is cruel. IMO they are way happier in tubs compared to tanks. I think the branches and jungle habitats for ball pythons is more for our pleasure than theirs. Trust me if they weren’t happy in tubs you’d know it! Again nothing against tanks just sharing my opinion especially for the ones that are anti tubs.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to highqualityballz For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (04-09-2019),PokeyTheNinja (04-21-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Being older than most folks here, I was old school. I never even thought that there were of any other possibilities than tanks or wood cages.

Tanks worked for me and I didn’t have issues. When I came to this forum and heard about tubs I thought it was major ghetto. Plus what’s the point of of a pet that you don’t see?

My attitude changed when I saw how simple and successful tubs are, especially for BPs. But for ME personally, I could not put a semi arboreal snake like a Boa, Retic, or Carpet in a tub PERManenty. Needless to say, I feel the same for arboreal snakes as well.

Then when I heard about the PVC cages here on the forum I was immediately sold and slowly switched over.

If I was starting all over I would definitely consider tubs, probably as temporary measures. If I was going to have multiple BPs I would look hard at racks as well.

The bottom line, it’s whatever works for you and the proper husbandry of your snakes.

I agree with pretty much all of this^^^^...

When I started out in 1999-2000 all I knew about was tanks or homemade wood enclosures. I thought racks were just temporary and for breeders only.

Fast forward to a few years ago when I got back into the hobby and I went with what I knew...GLASS TANKS.
    ...and guess what?!?!?....THEY WORK!!

For all the glass bashers out there, my animals are well taken care of, their husbandry is where it needs to be. My snakes eat, have perfect sheds and none show any signs of stress inside the enclosure or out.

That being said, I would love to switch some of my snakes to PVC at some point. My hognose will be in glass forever and my King will be last to switch, if ever. They simply don't require the temps and humidity the others do and their husbandry is already easy. However, my money tree doesn't produce as much "fruit" as some people's does. Therefor, I'll switch when I can. And the main reason would be to make more room for more snakes and have a stackable wall unit of enclosures rather than a bunch of glass all over the place.
    My animals are a priority in my life and I have money stashed away for vet bills I hope I never need to use, but I won't touch it for anything that isn't a vet bill.
    After this winter's power outage, moving the snakes and losing 3 fish I'm saving for a generator. PVC will be next.

I've never used tubs and doubt I ever will. I would consider a rack system, but only for more BPs or STPs.

Anyway, it really comes down to the species, the keeper and the keepers willingness to do a little extra work if needed. Glass can and DOES work perfectly fine if you just put in the effort. And not all species require any extra effort...

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (04-09-2019),Godzilla78 (04-20-2018),Reinz (04-20-2018),Sonny1318 (04-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Does anyone else prefer tanks to tubs?

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I agree with pretty much all of this^^^^...

When I started out in 1999-2000 all I knew about was tanks or homemade wood enclosures. I thought racks were just temporary and for breeders only.

Fast forward to a few years ago when I got back into the hobby and I went with what I knew...GLASS TANKS.
    ...and guess what?!?!?....THEY WORK!!

For all the glass bashers out there, my animals are well taken care of, their husbandry is where it needs to be. My snakes eat, have perfect sheds and none show any signs of stress inside the enclosure or out.............................
    ...........................Glass can and DOES work perfectly fine if you just put in the effort. And not all species require any extra effort...
    I Agree totally. I had no problems tweaking my tanks as well. A few years ago here tanks seemed to be looked down upon and there were lots of negativity thrown around. I was defensive, since I didn’t experience the problems folks complained about.

But then again I understand why. People did not seem to understand basic Physical Science; if low humidity, add water and or contain it with different substrate; if low temps, add heat; if too hot, cool the air or ventilate; etc.

Almost identical problems posted over and over, just like “my BP won’t eat”. Some non tank people thus figured that tanks did not work and would put them down, usually politely.

For me, the major difference in husbandry with PVC is I only have to add water to the subtrate monthly if that, versus weekly or bimonthly with tanks. And, heat is rarely changed with my PVC. Where as I had to keep a steady eye on my heat lamps and adjust them quite often.
    Last edited by Reinz; 04-20-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-20-2018),Dianne (04-09-2019),Sonny1318 (04-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Does anyone else prefer tanks to tubs?

It's a tough call ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 04-20-2018 at 03:57 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Dianne (04-09-2019),Reinz (04-20-2018),Sonny1318 (04-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Oh Zinc, I just about busted my gut on that one!
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks

Hi! "Ghetto" tub user here and yes I use appropriate space. I understand that heating the ambient can be a bit tricky with plastic totes. I, however, am fortunate enough to have a room to dedicated to my snakes and is thus heated to their needs with an oil heater. I find tanks to be unnecessary work for higher humidity species.

I do not care what type of enclosure you use AS LONG as it meets the requirements for whatever species you are keeping. You do you, sugar cube. If something is off with your snake take a good look at your husbandry and equipment (or lack of). Enclosure debates are the worst, it ends in people bashing one another.

With that, PVC enclosures are definitely the master race of enclosures unfortunately they are more on the spendy side and can take a while to reach your home but IMO it is totally worth it. Can't compete with tanks nor tubs.

There's bad seeds in all sorts of settings. Do what works best for your snake's species.
    ~My Zoo~
    Boas:
    1.0 Pastel Dream MonsterTail Het Kahl (Snakerdoodle)
    0.1 Ghost Het Kahl (Dahlia)
    0.1 DRMB High Red (Matilda)

Colubrids:

0.1 Pyromelana (Vesta)

Mammals:

0.1 Quarter Pony (Peaches)
    1.0 Lippitt Morgan (Kenai)
    1.0 Chi/Pom (Bolt)
    1.0 Chesapeake Bay Retriever (Günther)

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PokeyTheNinja For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-21-2018),Dianne (04-09-2019),Sonny1318 (04-21-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast