Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 879

1 members and 878 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New Iguana (3 Pics)

I'm at it again. Wife has been wanting a lizard so we got her an Iguana today. She named it "Speedy". Thing is quicker than greased lightning! We are assuming it's a male cause the pet store said so, but I'm not taking thier word for it. Here are a few pics of it and it's set up. We can't seem to get an animal that isn't in a shed, but it looks like he is almost done. I am working onb getting the humidity up right now. We added the heat rock, but I have it connected to a thermastat. I added a hide, but it will probably be more of a rest than a hide.

Thanks

Re: New Iguana (3 Pics)

I really hope you are prepared for a 6 foot lizard. There are thousands of these animals in rescues all over the world because people don't realize what they are getting into when they buy that cute little baby in the pet shop. I wish you hadn't supported the import trade by purchasing one of these, but instead had gone to a rescue where there are hundreds that need homes.

Get the heat rock OUT... Regardless of if it is on a thermostat or not, lizards cannot sense heat on their bellies and will burn themselves. They should be heated from above by heat lamps as well as good UVB lights. The ReptiSun 10.0 is a fairly good fluorescent bulb, even the 5.0 is OK(do not get ESU bulbs or the compact fluorescents), but a Mercury Vapor Bulb would be your best bet(cost is around $40-$50). Iguanas need high humidity, a varied, well-supplemented, vegetarian diet, and massive amounts of UVB. They are not cheap to care for in the least.

As for the housing, I would keep him on paper towels until you can get a fecal sample into the vet. It will be easier to keep track of the consistency, rather than having to dig through the nasty repti-bark for it. If you want to use bark, try Cypress mulch. The pieces are larger and therefore can't be swallowed, which in turn can cause an impaction. The Cypress can be found at Home Depot/Lowe's in the garden center for about $3 a huge bag. Bake it beforehand because of the risk of external parasites, and also because it can be quite wet when you buy it. I put it on cookie sheets, spread it out, and then bake at about 250 until it is dry. Usually takes a good couple of hours.

Go to WalMart as well and get another digital thermometer w/hygrometer. Iguana husbandry can be very specific, and if their temperatures/humidity aren't just so, then they won't do well.

Get a large, flat rock, and use that for the basking area. Direct the heat lamp onto it and measure the temps on the rock surface with the thermometer probe. Should be around 105-110 degrees. The cool side should be around 80. Humidity needs to be in the 70-80% range. Mist him a few times a day so he will drink and be hydrated, mist his greens and veggies so as to get extra water into him. The UVB light should span the entire enclosure, not just in the basking area. So a 4' cage needs a 4' light, or a MVB bulb.

Their care is fairly similar to Bearded Dragons, except for the humidity part and the diet.

IMHO, I think a Bearded Dragon would have been a MUCH more suitable pet as they stay smaller, are more interactive and personable, and won't try to eat your lunch when you try to pick them up(or break one of your fingers when they tail whip you). I hope you get his husbandry all straightened out, and good luck with him.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Yeah, I'm learning that they require a lot of care. Thank you very much for all the information. I think I might make another trip to town tonight. I still can't find a Accurite any where in town. I am going to try a few hardware stores. It being a 6 ft lizard doesn't bother me much, I just need to take the time to learn to care for it properly. I'm headed to town I guess.

Thanks

One big thing with a Iggy is you have to make the promise now that if he is a "he" you will keep him if he falls into the roughly 1/3 of all male iguanas that become just plain nasty when the mature. The you will still keep him as a animal that you cant handle and only look at.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i think he would like it if he could climg ina branch or something, cuz they are arboreal you know. and congrats... i want an ig, but right now i know its not fecible.
    -marshall

Thanks

I took the rock out and added a piece of black slate intead. I couldn't find any cypress in town tonight, so I am going to look again tomorrow. I also have to find a way to sort the UVB issue and keep humidity high. I am thinking of an overhead lamp and doing frequent mistings. Me and wife work opposite shifts so it's real easy to pay constant attention to it's enviroment.

It doesn't seem to like being handled right now, any tips on breaking it in? We have learned that they jump high and can run like hell.

I think you were right on the Bearded Dragon suggestion, however I will take this oppotunity to learn more.

Thanks

Updated pic of Easa. She is allowing Shannon to handle her for a couple minutes at a time. I just moved her into the HUGE viv this morning. that can be found on the website. I am able to keep temps and humidity up in the new cage. She loves all the new running space she has.

Thanks

I applaud you for taking the time to properly care for and find out about (albeit after your purchase) your ig. Most people don't care, they just think they can get rid of it when it's not cute anymore.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

I know you can see the red light there, but that's just a fix. I put my head through the glass last night and it knocked the UVB bulb out. I am going to get a new UVB bulb this week to keep her healthier. I was leaning in to check if the silicon was dried yet and knocked it over. I guess I should be very lucky I didn't break that $140 peice of glass.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lars5277
    It doesn't seem to like being handled right now, any tips on breaking it in? We have learned that they jump high and can run like hell.
    OK, I'm laughing so hard I'm crying now. We had an iggy baby about a year ago (he has unfortunately passed since then - long story, but turned out he was sickly when we got him). In a rare moment of feeling good, I had him out and on the bed and all of the sudden he took off and flew across the room and up the screen door in my bedroom. I was stunned for a moment or two before I could react! LOL

Good luck with your new baby! As much as I hate that he didn't make it, I in the end was sort of relieved that we didn't have a six foot animal to care for. He was, unfortunately, an impulse buy by the boyfriend and I got left with the research on the care of the animal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast