Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,900

1 members and 2,899 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food for Rats

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I pay $25 per bag at a feed store down in Denver, about an hour drive away from my house. I tried to order it from a local Big R store and they gave me the run around. I ordered it several times from Big R by talking to the staff and it never came in, I had to hound them for it and they finally got a few bags. Then they ran out and I did the same thing, I went to pick it up and sure enough they still had not ordered it. And after the last few bags came in I asked them to order it on a regular basis and they refused. I thought that was bad business. Now I just drive down to Denver for it and the guy down there goes through a whole pallet of the stuff every few days!

Tractor Supply is even further, about an hour and a half each way. I may give them a call and see if I can save $5 per bag, right now I go through about 200 pounds per month.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 04-18-2018 at 11:09 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-18-2018)

Thanks
    Ya I am no where near that much per month currently. But I do believe I will be going through 100lbs a month, right now 100 lasts me 6 weeks give or take... but the place I did fined it is a mom and pop store and they order things consitanly for people
    Ball
    1.0 Enchi Lesser Killer Bee
    0.1 Killer King Clown
    0.1 Mystic Potion

Retic
    1.0 Purple Phase Albino

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'm late to the conversation but just want to say that feeding dog kibble to rodents is not good for them & causes health problems, so I'm glad you've got them on rodent chow now.

I've raised countless rats, mice & hamsters for years (but only mice now). I always added things to their diet of lab blocks...it improved their health, they enjoy variety & it keeps them friendly. They like to gnaw & I used to give them thoroughly cooked bones (culled from my dinner); they are very efficient at licking an "empty" peanut butter jar clean...it saves water (trying to wash it before recycling) & they love it! I love salads & always share bits of kale or carrots, things like that. Rats like most everything, but don't give anything with toxic seeds (no avocado pits, apple or cherry seeds or peach pits, etc) & not spicy foods or sugary junk food.

There used to be an ad that said "feed your rodents the BEST...just don't tell them why." That's the right philosophy...if you want good breeders and the best food for your ultimate "consumers", don't feed the rats junk.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-01-2018 at 02:21 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

distaff (10-16-2018)

Thanks
    If you have a feed store like D&B or something you can try poultry feed. I like Flock Raiser or All Flock. It comes in pellets and is around $17 for 50 pounds. Make sure you avoid layer feed as it will probably be too high in calcium.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I've got chickens, and indoor birds, so the rats get a mix of that, plus our table scraps. They love treats, esp. a bit of hard cheese, and tiny slivers of sweet fruit. I think pecans and almond slices are their favorites.

I treat mine like pets, but still have two skittish nippy ones, and another that is very shy. (The nippy ones may have sight problems - hairless, dumbo, pink-eyed, but they are dedicated mommas.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12