Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,119

1 members and 3,118 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: New Guy

Thanks

New Guy

Hello Everyone, I decided to join this site after lurking for for time. I don't currently have a snake but i always wanted one but was never able to get one because my mother is scared of them and it's almost impossible for me to find a independent living situation that doesn't involve me having to pour in lots of money for the long run in the meantime. Whenever i'm able to get a snake, I'm thinking of getting either a Ball, a Woma, a Bredli or a Boa. I'm looking forward to meeting and hanging out with everyone!
    Last edited by CelticVikingNerd; 04-16-2018 at 04:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: New Guy

Quote Originally Posted by CelticVikingNerd View Post
    Hello Everyone, I decided to join this site after lurking for for time. I don't currently have a snake but i always wanted one but was never able to get one because my mother is scared of them and it's almost impossible for me to find a independent living situation that doesn't involve me having to pour in lots of money for the long run in the meantime. Whenever i'm able to get a snake, I'm thinking of getting either a Ball, a Woma, a Bredli or a Boa. I'm looking forward to meeting and hanging out with everyone!
    Well for starters welcome to the forums.

That sucks about the situation, but hopefully you're able to get a snake you want. I would probably recommend a ball out of those choices.

They have a lot of good information on the forums, and then a lot of people with experience.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

CelticVikingNerd (04-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Welcome !!
    Make sure you do your research beforehand as those options all offer , very , very different experiences..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

CelticVikingNerd (04-16-2018),DLena (04-18-2018),Reinz (04-16-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CelticVikingNerd View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

I wasn't allowed to have snakes while still living with my folks either, so I feel ya!

The best advice I can give you at this point is read, read, read, study, study, study. The more prepared you are when the time comes the better the experience will be for you and your new snake.
    Have your equipment and enclosure set up and dialed in BEFORE bringing the snake home.

As for the species you're considering, BPs are very popular due to their manageable size and docile temperament. They are awesome first snakes despite their finicky eating habits.

As for the others you're considering, I've never kept any of those species, so I won't say much on them. I have heard womas are a pretty easy species to keep and are typically docile. Carpets can be nippy but will usually outgrow that with some size and with regular handling . Boas, I would say consider what locality very carefully. Some can get pretty massive, especially for a newbie. But their temperaments are supposed to be fantastic.

I'm currently looking at boas and learning more, hoping to make a boa my next addition.

Aside from reading, studying, watching YouTube videos, etc... try to go to a reptile expo if you can. It's a great way to see lots of species up close and gain some first hand experience. There are typically plenty of species of varying ages and sizes and you can often handle many of them.

Good luck, keep asking questions and keep us posted

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

CelticVikingNerd (04-16-2018),DLena (04-18-2018),Reinz (04-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    The only thing I can add is that these snakes are a 20-30 year commitment.

You want to make sure that college, military and lengthy travel plans are completed or not in the picture. College dorms and many apartments do not allow snakes. If traveling somewhere abroad, it’s a lot to ask friends or family to care for a snake for a month or three; that is if you can find someone not afraid to do so.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

CelticVikingNerd (04-16-2018),Craiga 01453 (04-16-2018),DLena (04-18-2018),Sonny1318 (04-16-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    The only thing I can add is that these snakes are a 20-30 year commitment.

You want to make sure that college, military and lengthy travel plans are completed or not in the picture. College dorms and many apartments do not allow snakes. If traveling somewhere abroad, it’s a lot to ask friends or family to care for a snake for a month or three; that is if you can find someone not afraid to do so.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay.
    VERY good advice and something to take into consideration.

It's definitely harder to find somebody to snakesit than say catsit. It's also harder to find roommates that are willing to live with a snake in the apartment. And you'd be surprised how many landlords don't allow pets, and sometimes snakes specifically.

It stinks having to rehome them for whatever reason as well. I had to rehome mine years ago and it was so hard to do. I still wonder if they are living good lives wherever they are...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

CelticVikingNerd (04-17-2018),DLena (04-18-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forum. There are so many excellent and helpful people here.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DLena For This Useful Post:

CelticVikingNerd (04-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Welcome !!
    Make sure you do your research beforehand as those options all offer , very , very different experiences..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yep, Research is always important before getting a pet. Couldn't agree more.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CelticVikingNerd For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (04-20-2018)

Thanks

I really appreciate all welcoming and advice everyone is giving me so far. Thank You.