Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,148

3 members and 3,145 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Air-Tight Incubation Tubs?

My apologies for all the questions, but I do have one more concern. Monitoring with and without press and seal I get 99% humidity in the tub with the press and seal and I'm sitting at 84.5% humidity in the tub without. This is just for testing, there are no actual eggs in the incubator. It has been about 14 hours since the tubs were sealed. Obviously the one without press and seal is too low. I'm using substrateless with perlite so should I just try adding more water to the non press and seal tub? The mixture right now is about 2 to 1 water to perlite (by weight) and there's no issue with the light diffusers sinking yet.

Thanks!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonarnold85 View Post
    My apologies for all the questions, but I do have one more concern. Monitoring with and without press and seal I get 99% humidity in the tub with the press and seal and I'm sitting at 84.5% humidity in the tub without. This is just for testing, there are no actual eggs in the incubator. It has been about 14 hours since the tubs were sealed. Obviously the one without press and seal is too low. I'm using substrateless with perlite so should I just try adding more water to the non press and seal tub? The mixture right now is about 2 to 1 water to perlite (by weight) and there's no issue with the light diffusers sinking yet.

Thanks!
    I use substrateless method as well in a 7 quarts tub I do 4 cups of perlite 2 cups of water and never had to use press and seal, I have been running the same setup for 10 years now and I do not even measure humidity anymore, eggs stay nice and plump until the last week of incubation and no build up condensation, which allows me to put the eggs in the incubator and never have to think about them till they are ready to hatch.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

jonarnold85 (04-16-2018)

Thanks

I am going to use press and seal but while shopping in Lowes today, I saw what Lowes calls "Driveway Markers". They are 1/4" diameter orange fiberglass rods that are 4 feet long. I am cutting them so that when stood up vertical in the tubs they are a tiny bit taller than the edge of the tub. My plan is that this will form a roof type shape on the press and seal and cause any condensation to travel to the edges of the tub. I kind of like the idea of a penny to create a low spot but am concerned that a droplet traveling the full length of the tub may hit another droplet and gain sufficient weight to fall before reaching the penny.
    I recently retired and obviously have too much time to over-think all of this LOL

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bistem For This Useful Post:

jonarnold85 (04-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

I tried the press and seal one year and although it did bump the humidity way up, I was constantly wiping water off of the eggs from the dripping. I never used it again and have not had any issues with humidity etc. I use vermiculite with the eggs sitting on egg crate. I do open the lid every 4-7 days to get some fresh air into the egg tub.
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

Thanks

I appreciate all the responses. I know constant questions can be a little annoying but this is my first year breeding so I want to make sure I get it right.

My non press and seal tub that I'm testing has a ton of water but the humidity seems to have settled at 87.5%. This is too low right?

My press and seal tub has had a constant 99% humidity. Is this good or is this too high?

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12