Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ


» Today's Birthdays

Mittens (31)

» Stats

Members: 62,730
Threads: 235,988
Posts: 2,445,500
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, carin
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    Registered User ckuhn003's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-18-2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    736
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 446 Times in 258 Posts
    Images: 2

    Sunset Boa (Hog Island)

    I spent some time today at the local Repticon picking up some supplies and food for my BP. For some reason, Iíve been thinking I want to get a 2nd snake and Iím leaning towards a Hog Island Boa. Thereís so many beautiful BPs out there but I think I want something a little bigger and with a little more personality. Found this guy at Repticon but was hesitant to pull the trigger. Iím the kind of person who needs to do their research and have everything set up beforehand.



    To anyone who owns a Hog Island, I would love to get your opinions.

    Also found this scaless BP for just 13k




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Toffino - (Fred)

    1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

    1.0 Boxer - (Cooper)

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

    AbsoluteApril (04-15-2018),C.Marie (04-18-2018)

  3. #2
    Registered User Phillydubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-04-2018
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,134
    Thanks
    358
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 571 Posts
    Wow that boa is rediccc!!

    you didnít get it ?!?

    are you thinking of having it sent to you ? Is it a true hog island? Any info on it. Breeder etc?

    i just got a dwarf boa myself. Love bps but want more of a mix and collection.

  4. #3
    BPnet Veteran AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-05-2014
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    1,698
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 919 Posts

    Re: Sunset Boa (Hog Island)

    Very pretty baby! Hog isle care is basically the same as a normal common Bi, they can do fine with slightly lower temps, I keep my pair with a hot spot around 86. As an adult should do just fine in a 4x2 enclosure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Is it a true hog island?
    It's a sunset which means it's a locality cross of a hypo Bi and a hog isle Bi. Most hypo lines came from animals from Panama and it was very heavily bred into Colombian localities.
    ****
    For the Horde!

  5. #4
    Registered User Phillydubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-04-2018
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,134
    Thanks
    358
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 571 Posts

    Re: Sunset Boa (Hog Island)

    Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Very pretty baby! Hog isle care is basically the same as a normal common Bi, they can do fine with slightly lower temps, I keep my pair with a hot spot around 86. As an adult should do just fine in a 4x2 enclosure.



    It's a sunset which means it's a locality cross of a hypo Bi and a hog isle Bi. Most hypo lines came from animals from Panama and it was very heavily bred into Colombian localities.
    Ahhh ok thank you! Do you have true hog islands or mixed?

  6. #5
    Registered User ckuhn003's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-18-2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    736
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 446 Times in 258 Posts
    Images: 2

    Re: Sunset Boa (Hog Island)

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    you didnít get it ?!?

    are you thinking of having it sent to you ? Is it a true hog island? Any info on it. Breeder etc?

    i just got a dwarf boa myself. Love bps but want more of a mix and collection.
    no, I didnít pull the trigger because Iím not yet ready. Still waiting on my AP cage that I ordered 2-3 months ago. Plus I feel more research is needed on my part. This looked to be a small time breeder who happens to live close to me so no shipping needed if I pull the plug and go with him. Iím not 100% on a Hog Island but they caught my eye a few months ago and Iíve been exploring YouTube videos constantly. I was asking one of the other big time breefers at the show about a Boas temperament compared to a BP and he immediately said most Boas are like puppy dogs. He proceeded to pull some out and gently grab their head and none of them objected or pulled back like most BPs do.

    So youíre enjoying your dwarf so far??

  7. #6
    Registered User ckuhn003's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-18-2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    736
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 446 Times in 258 Posts
    Images: 2

    Re: Sunset Boa (Hog Island)

    Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Very pretty baby! Hog isle care is basically the same as a normal common Bi, they can do fine with slightly lower temps, I keep my pair with a hot spot around 86. As an adult should do just fine in a 4x2 enclosure.

    It's a sunset which means it's a locality cross of a hypo Bi and a hog isle Bi. Most hypo lines came from animals from Panama and it was very heavily bred into Colombian localities.
    Thanks April. I don't know much about Hog Islands or other Boas for that matter but I should be up to speed before I make a purchase. Do they need ambient temps on the same line as BPs (high 70s)??? I'll have a 3x1x1 pvc enclosure w/ a UTH & Tstat but sometimes the ambients could dip. That's why I have an AP cage w/ an RHP on the way.

  8. #7
    Registered User Jus1More's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-13-2017
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    429
    Thanks
    910
    Thanked 337 Times in 207 Posts

    Re: Sunset Boa (Hog Island)

    I was kindof like you, I wanted a bigger snake but not keen on the size the boa got. I researched the different types of dwarf Boa's and decided on the Hogg Island Boa. I purchased a hypo Hogg earlier this year and it was the best decision I've made so far. My girl has such a sweet personality and is chill when I handle her. I decided a couple months later to purchase get sister, so now I have 2 wonderful Hogg Island Boa's and couldn't be happier!!!!
    Don't get me wrong though, I love my 2 BP's but they don't like being messed with to much as they stress out. My other snake, which is a Hognose is another one I enjoy as he is an absolute clown and makes me laugh all the time.

    I wouldn't look pass the Hogg Island Boa. They for the most part are low key for a boa, don't get big and have a great personality. Although, like everything else, there can always be a few grumpy ones out there as well.
    Do your research, ask the breeder lots of questions. Ask how big the parents are and what their personality is like? Ask to see pictures or arrange to take a visit and see the parents in person. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    Who Says Life Can't Be AWESOME!!!

    BALL PYTHONS 🐍

    1.0 Pastel Champagne Het Pied (Mateo)
    1.0 Super Russo WhiteDiamond (Tulo)
    COLUBRIDS 🐍
    1.0 Blonde TransPecos Rat Snake (Lazar)
    1.0 Normal 66% Het Toxic Hognose (Chuy)
    BOA'S 🐍
    0.1 Hypo Hog Island Boa (Zarah)
    1.0 Dumeril Boa (Teyo)
    GECKO'S 🦎
    1.0 Cream/Lavender Harlequin Crestie (Diego)
    0.1 Orange Bloch Rectic. Gargoyle (Latte)
    0.1 Tremper Albino LeopardGecko (Luna)
    ARACHNID 🕷
    0.1 Mexican Red Knee Tarantula (Athena)


  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

    ckuhn003 (04-15-2018)

  10. #8
    Registered User ckuhn003's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-18-2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    736
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 446 Times in 258 Posts
    Images: 2

    Re: Sunset Boa (Hog Island)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    I was kindof like you, I wanted a bigger snake but not keen on the size the boa got. I researched the different types of dwarf Boa's and decided on the Hogg Island Boa. I purchased a hypo Hogg earlier this year and it was the best decision I've made so far. My girl has such a sweet personality and is chill when I handle her. I decided a couple months later to purchase get sister, so now I have 2 wonderful Hogg Island Boa's and couldn't be happier!!!!
    Don't get me wrong though, I love my 2 BP's but they don't like being messed with to much as they stress out. My other snake, which is a Hognose is another one I enjoy as he is an absolute clown and makes me laugh all the time.

    I wouldn't look pass the Hogg Island Boa. They for the most part are low key for a boa, don't get big and have a great personality. Although, like everything else, there can always be a few grumpy ones out there as well.
    Do your research, ask the breeder lots of questions. Ask how big the parents are and what their personality is like? Ask to see pictures or arrange to take a visit and see the parents in person. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    Appreciate the info! Sounds like I'm in the same boat you were in. Do you have any Hog Island breeder recommendations? Any pictures you can share of yours? I would love to see some.

  11. #9
    Registered User Phillydubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-04-2018
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,134
    Thanks
    358
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 571 Posts
    Smart to take your time and feel comfortable. Not many have that control! Good on you for sure. Canít wait to see what you end up with !

  12. #10
    Registered User Phillydubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-04-2018
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,134
    Thanks
    358
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 571 Posts

    Re: Sunset Boa (Hog Island)

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    no, I didnít pull the trigger because Iím not yet ready. Still waiting on my AP cage that I ordered 2-3 months ago. Plus I feel more research is needed on my part. This looked to be a small time breeder who happens to live close to me so no shipping needed if I pull the plug and go with him. Iím not 100% on a Hog Island but they caught my eye a few months ago and Iíve been exploring YouTube videos constantly. I was asking one of the other big time breefers at the show about a Boas temperament compared to a BP and he immediately said most Boas are like puppy dogs. He proceeded to pull some out and gently grab their head and none of them objected or pulled back like most BPs do.

    So youíre enjoying your dwarf so far??
    ive only had my Caye Caulker for a few days now. She was sent to me Thursday. So sheís in out of sight Out of mind mode ! Lol

    peeking in on her and water and all but thatís it.

    She was a dream to handle handle when I got her. Iím dying to get her out but I want her settled and a few meals in her. She sort of fell in my lap and I had to take her but Iím glad I did.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

    ckuhn003 (04-15-2018)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1