Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,202

2 members and 3,200 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

At what size does a Burm normally stop using hides?

Hi guys. The guy I bought my Burm from doesnt have hides for any of his adults. He said once they're adults they don't need them cos they're pretty much the king of the jungle and really confident.

My Burm is only 8 months old and 4 feet long. She stopped using her hides about 2 weeks ago (she only ever used the warm hide anyway). I thought it was because they were too small so I bought her the largest exo terra tortoise cave as she's growing so fast. But she's not interested in it at all.

Is this normal at 8 months old/ 4 feet long? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Valyrian; 04-15-2018 at 03:46 PM.
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Not sure about burms but my 8 foot retic and 7 and 6 foot boas all have hides still and do use them. I believe all snakes should have somewhere they can retreat to for their own 'personal' time.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 04-15-2018 at 03:54 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (04-15-2018),John1982 (04-16-2018),Team Slytherin (04-16-2018),Valyrian (04-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    My adult retics get under the paper and hide when they are in shed.

My two year old still uber-defensive burm is hiding under paper now (not in shed, she just really likes hiding).

I would continue to make the hides available and let your snake decide whether to use them or not.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (04-15-2018),John1982 (04-16-2018),Valyrian (04-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't say they'll stop using them at a certain point. It's more or less they'll use it when they want to feel more secure. My cobra still fits in his hides, but he rarely uses them unless he's in shed. Otherwise he just lays slap dead in the middle of the cage with his head propped on the ledge watching me. Just provide a hide as long as you're able to that way if she wants one she can use one.

When they're adults, it's not easy to provide a big enough hide for them because of their size.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (04-15-2018),Valyrian (04-15-2018)

Thanks

Re: At what size does a Burm normally stop using hides?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Not sure about burms but my 8 foot retic and 7 and 6 foot boas all have hides still and do use them. I believe all snakes should have somewhere they can retreat to for their own 'personal' time.
    I'll still offer it in case she wants to use it. I also have fake plants on both sides that she can hide under. And the opening for that hide is pretty big so I draped some plants over the front for more security. No doubt it will be too small in a few months anyway ha ha.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    My adult retics get under the paper and hide when they are in shed.

My two year old still uber-defensive burm is hiding under paper now (not in shed, she just really likes hiding).

I would continue to make the hides available and let your snake decide whether to use them or not.
    I was wondering if she would get stressed out in the open but I guess it's her choice lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    I wouldn't say they'll stop using them at a certain point. It's more or less they'll use it when they want to feel more secure. My cobra still fits in his hides, but he rarely uses them unless he's in shed. Otherwise he just lays slap dead in the middle of the cage with his head propped on the ledge watching me. Just provide a hide as long as you're able to that way if she wants one she can use one.

When they're adults, it's not easy to provide a big enough hide for them because of their size.
    Do you absolutely have to have them n both ends or will one end suffice? I see both methods being used.

Thanks

I attempted to provide a hide for my baby Burm I acquired in Dec of 2017. It was more to keep his hot spot more cozy for him than to hide. He would go in but always come back out with half his body outside of the hide including his head. My Burm is definitely on the curious side. He gets out every day and maybe he is just waiting for me to get him out. Now he is right at 4 foot long and he has no hides. It has been my experience with this Burm and the one I had nearly 30 years ago that they leave insecurity to other snakes. Burms for the most part like to see what is going on in society. Mine definitely fits that mold.
    Ball Pythons are for reptile lovers. Giant Pythons are for snake lovers.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momokahn For This Useful Post:

Thanks

At what size does a Burm normally stop using hides?

I just checked your posts and realised I've already seen him lol. An up to date pic would be cool though
    Last edited by Valyrian; 04-15-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I always recommend one on each end, but if you don't really see yours using it, I would say one end is okay. I would likely put it on the warm end if it were me. I keep hides on both ends for everything except my horned viper and bush vipers. I have a basking spot for them, otherwise I have logs and fake leaves that they'll hide in and under. The one exception is my horned viper who hides in the sand to where you can only see the top of his head most of the time.

Now I'll add, if you start seeing him use the hides frequently then I would add the other one back.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Way back in the olden days, my uncle had a burm and it never hid, even though it had areas in in which to do so. He also had a retic, and that thing always hid during the day, even when it got so big that it nearly outgrew its modified garbage can hiding spot. Lol

I have found that all of my adult kingsnakes are almost always out in the open while nearly all of my bps are almost always hidden. I think it just varies with species and age.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    I always recommend one on each end, but if you don't really see yours using it, I would say one end is okay. I would likely put it on the warm end if it were me. I keep hides on both ends for everything except my horned viper and bush vipers. I have a basking spot for them, otherwise I have logs and fake leaves that they'll hide in and under. The one exception is my horned viper who hides in the sand to where you can only see the top of his head most of the time.

Now I'll add, if you start seeing him use the hides frequently then I would add the other one back.
    Sounds good I'll monitor her behaviour. She always stayed in the warm end mostly. Then when the humidity went up around 90% for a few days with fresh eco earth she would move around more. So now I keep the humidity 75 - 80 which she seems to find more comfortable.

Last edited by Valyrian; 04-15-2018 at 05:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast