Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,540

2 members and 3,538 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Beginner Ball Python Questions

Yes, they have awesome re-homing program that is focusing on getting you the right ball python, whether you are a first-time owner, or have had ball pythons for years.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Pythons View Post
    I like the Reptile Basics hides.

If you can drink the water, your snake will be fine.

I have an exo terra large wide I think they call it? It's their 18x18x36. It's nice but I feel like glass enclosures aren't the best for snakes, have you looked at PVC or HPDE enclosures?
    I haven't, I will definitely look into them!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Sounds like a good program, I wish you the best.

You failed to comment on the thermostat question, though. Do you have a thermostat for your heat sources??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    A rescue ball python probably is not the best option if it is your first ball python. Rescues may have issues and if you are not familiar with what 'normal' is, you might have a tough time.

1) You can use anything for a hide, just make sure they block light and are small enough that the snake can squeeze comfortable inside and only have one opening in/out. The hide is not about aesthetics for you, it is about safety for the snake.

2) I used fish dechlorinator for 5 years on my snake water in the city (before I bought my farm), no issues.

3) In my opinion terrariums look nice, but, they are not easy to move and/or clean relative to a secure plastic bin/tub. Personally I would worry about the snake pressing on the edge of the glass door(s) and damaging the tip of their nose-Mating season makes my males do crazy things...

4) I have two cats, my snakes can definitely tell the difference between the scent of cats and rodents. They could care less about the scent of cats. My rodents DO care about the scent of snakes though, and I have taken many a rat bite after handling my snakes.

I have one snake already, his name is Franky. I just want to add to my snake family. lol Since garter snakes are more on the fast side I also want something a little more on the slower side and bigger too. Thank you for letting me know though, I'm thankful someone would let me know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Sounds like a good program, I wish you the best.

You failed to comment on the thermostat question, though. Do you have a thermostat for your heat sources??
    Yes, I have the zoomed heat mat and I ordered the Zilla thermostat on Amazon(should be here is a few days!)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AnnieHeart For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-16-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieHeart View Post
    Yes, I have the zoomed heat mat and I ordered the Zilla thermostat on Amazon(should be here is a few days!)
    Awesome!!! Sounds like you're in great shape!

Garters are really cool little snakes. I considered adding a pair, but decided to only keep snakes that aren't native to where I live.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your new BP when the guy or gal arrives!

Thanks

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of snake keeping!!

I have to agree with a reply above, getting a rescue for a first snake may not be the best idea. If the snake is ill or stressed or anything unusual at all is going on a new keeper likely won't recognize stress or unusual behavior. I honestly don't know why a rescue would consider new keepers in the first place. But, that's up to you....

On to your questions:
    1) I tend to be a little unconventional with hides, so will offer a do as I say, not as I do answer for beginners. Stay away from half logs or anything similar. Snakes, especially BPs prefer as much security as possible. Cave like hides or the RBI hides are best. They should be fairly snug and have only one opening so the snake can feel 100% hidden out of sight.

2) plain and simple, if you can drink the water, so can your snake. Don't waste your money on chemicals. I treat my fish tanks, but have never treated any of my snakes' water.

3) I've got an Exo Terra that I use as my quarantine enclosure. The enclosure itself is fine, the stuff that comes with the setup is crap though. If my memory is correct it comes with aspen (not good for BPs), a thermometer that is useless (any analog dial ones are wildly inaccurate), a bowl that's way too small for a BP, and a hide that is too small for a BP.

4) I have a cat, no issues at all with my snakes in regards to scent setting off a feeding response. I also have 4 ferrets, no issue at all. That being said, if any of the snakes are out the ferrets are in their enclosure and the cat is in another room. Not worth the risk.

Lastly: MANY NEW KEEPERS DON'T UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF A THERMOSTAT. ALL HEAT SOURCES SHOULD BE REGULATED BY A THERMOSTAT.

Hope I helped!

Great job getting your setup ready BEFORE bringing your animal home. You're already a step up on many newbies.

I would give serious consideration to buying a juvenile BP from a reputable breeder though.
    Is there a reason you're planning on a rescue???
    Thank you so much, very helpful!

Yes, I have the zoomed heat mat, and I ordered the Zilla thermostat on Amazon. :)
    Last edited by AnnieHeart; 04-16-2018 at 07:58 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AnnieHeart For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-16-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    Hi! You've gotten some really good feedback already. Just wanted to add that having a humidifier set up to vent directly into a glass tank does wonders to help with retaining humidity, especially if you modify the screen by wrapping most of it or setting something on it to reduce airflow. I can send photos of our setup if you want!
    Definitely! I will keep that in mind.

Yes, I would love to see your setup!

Thanks

Awesome!!! Sounds like you're in great shape!

Garters are really cool little snakes. I considered adding a pair, but decided to only keep snakes that aren't native to where I live.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your new BP when the guy or gal arrives!
    Thanks. Yes, I will give an update when I finally adopt!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post

2) My tap water has chlorine and I have to dechlorinate the water for my pet fish and was curious if it is safe to use fish dechlorinatior, or if I should buy reptile dechlorinator ?

I know that some people use repti-safe or reptile water conditioner, mine will only drink deer park water. He literally turns his nose up at any other brand of water - comes out of the hide and stares at it for long moments before slowly curling up as far from the dish as possible. With deer park he comes out immediately and takes long drinks at every water change
    The ultimate example of a picky BP. Normally I would say this is a reason BP's aren't for beginners, but that would make me a hypocrite because Paarthurnax was my first and only snake. Think I got lucky with him not being too picky, but its definitely something you should watch out for! I've seen posts where a snake wouldn't eat because the color of the rodent offered was different than it was used to.

The more silent you become, the more you are able to hear...

​1.0 Super Cinny Banana Het Ghost BP - "Churro"
    1.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slicercrush For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (04-16-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast