Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,965

1 members and 2,964 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Beginner Ball Python Questions

Hello!

I will be adopting a ball python from a reptile rescue near me in the next few months( on the waiting list! ) and I'm setting up his/her terrarium and getting things ready to make sure it is all working.

1)I'm going to order two hides and was wondering if you guys have favorites you would recommend?

2) My tap water has chlorine and I have to dechlorinate the water for my pet fish and was curious if it is safe to use fish dechlorinatior, or if I should buy reptile dechlorinator ?

3)I want the exo terra terrarium and was wondering if anyone here has one, and thoughts on it?

4) I have two kitties and I'm a little worried that the sent of them on me would trigger a feeding response, does anyone have that problem?

Thank you so much!!
    Last edited by AnnieHeart; 04-15-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks

Re: Beginner Ball Python Questions

I can only your number four (4) question. I have three (3) cars and have never had an issue. BUT I always change my shirt and wash and sanatize my hands amd arms before getting our Freddi out. I am always worried of cat "cooties" getting to my snake and vise versa.

Thanks

I like the Reptile Basics hides.

If you can drink the water, your snake will be fine.

I have an exo terra large wide I think they call it? It's their 18x18x36. It's nice but I feel like glass enclosures aren't the best for snakes, have you looked at PVC or HPDE enclosures?

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

A rescue ball python probably is not the best option if it is your first ball python. Rescues may have issues and if you are not familiar with what 'normal' is, you might have a tough time.

1) You can use anything for a hide, just make sure they block light and are small enough that the snake can squeeze comfortable inside and only have one opening in/out. The hide is not about aesthetics for you, it is about safety for the snake.

2) I used fish dechlorinator for 5 years on my snake water in the city (before I bought my farm), no issues.

3) In my opinion terrariums look nice, but, they are not easy to move and/or clean relative to a secure plastic bin/tub. Personally I would worry about the snake pressing on the edge of the glass door(s) and damaging the tip of their nose-Mating season makes my males do crazy things...

4) I have two cats, my snakes can definitely tell the difference between the scent of cats and rodents. They could care less about the scent of cats. My rodents DO care about the scent of snakes though, and I have taken many a rat bite after handling my snakes.
    *.* TNTC

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (04-18-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    1. Any hide that hugs your snake's sides and top. I use a 6 inch plastic pot dish but recently upgraded to a used, round plastic container bought from Chinese take out.

2-3. I use tubs and recently, a Critter Cage tank (Not for the bp). All I can tell you is keeping humidity up in a glass tank can be challenging.

4. I have 2 kitties, so the answer is no. I also have a hamster, who lives near Nibbler, my king. Nibbler is neighbors to my 2 lizards. So, she is surrounded by prey items she would want to eat. However, I received no feeding response from handling any of my pets because I always wash my hands (Especially with the ones my king would want to eat) prior to handling. Even though your bp would not be interested in your cats, my general rule of thumb is wash your hands before and after handling your pets.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/e...tile-cave.html

these are my fave hides. They look nice and are more rounded than the standard square black box hide. I use them as well but I like these better.

Look on xreigslist and see if you can find a PVC or plastic cage before you go the glass route. As others said it’s hard to maintain params. I’d also be very worried about cats on top of the cage and screen top and crashing in. A tub or pvc cage will not allow this.

If its your only snake I’m sure you want it on display. Check animal plastics. Good prices and sounds like you have time so you can have one. I get the point of tubs but I can’t keep a snake in a tub it’s just blah to me. I get racks for breeders and all and tight spaces but otherwise I’m a pvc/plastic guy all the way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Hi! You've gotten some really good feedback already. Just wanted to add that having a humidifier set up to vent directly into a glass tank does wonders to help with retaining humidity, especially if you modify the screen by wrapping most of it or setting something on it to reduce airflow. I can send photos of our setup if you want!

Thanks

1)I'm going to order two hides and was wondering if you guys have favorites you would recommend?

I like the exo-terra fake rock hides (I started with mediums and now have the extra large). Sometimes they have sharp edges, but I use an electric sander to smooth it out and its just fine. I also like terra cotta pots with holes drilled in the bottoms - when turned upside down they make a cute hide that can be soaked to release humidity

2) My tap water has chlorine and I have to dechlorinate the water for my pet fish and was curious if it is safe to use fish dechlorinatior, or if I should buy reptile dechlorinator ?

I know that some people use repti-safe or reptile water conditioner, mine will only drink deer park water. He literally turns his nose up at any other brand of water - comes out of the hide and stares at it for long moments before slowly curling up as far from the dish as possible. With deer park he comes out immediately and takes long drinks at every water change

3)I want the exo terra terrarium and was wondering if anyone here has one, and thoughts on it?

Tanks are difficult - especially for a beginner. They are possible, but take a lot more tweaking and care. To start, the are terrible for holding humidity. You can minimize heat and humidity loss by covering the screen top mostly with foil, and keeping a damp towel under the foil. Use cypress mulch and add damp sphagnum moss in shallow dishes to both sides of the cage. If you do all this, you can keep the humidity where it needs to be. If you have the funds, I would recommend looking into the Animal Plastics Terrestrial cages. I like the T11 personally because it has a lot of extra space, most people recommend the T8 for ball pythons. Also you will need to cover three sides with dark paper to make the snake feel secure.

Others may recommend a tub for ease of care, but I personally can't keep any animal in something so small. Tubs meet their requirements for life/health, but I like to provide as close to a habitat as I can, not just meet the bare necessities

***The bigger you go the more you have to keep in mind stress level, heat / humidity balance, and cleaning requirements. I have 4 hides and lots of logs/rocks in mine for cover and am very lucky to have a chill snake.***

4) I have two kitties and I'm a little worried that the sent of them on me would trigger a feeding response, does anyone have that problem?

I have 2 cats and a ferret and he couldn't care less. The only time I;d worry about feeding response would be if you had pet rodents
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieHeart View Post
    Hello!

I will be adopting a ball python from a reptile rescue near me in the next few months( on the waiting list! ) and I'm setting up his/her terrarium and getting things ready to make sure it is all working.

Thank you so much!!

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of snake keeping!!

I have to agree with a reply above, getting a rescue for a first snake may not be the best idea. If the snake is ill or stressed or anything unusual at all is going on a new keeper likely won't recognize stress or unusual behavior. I honestly don't know why a rescue would consider new keepers in the first place. But, that's up to you....

On to your questions:
    1) I tend to be a little unconventional with hides, so will offer a do as I say, not as I do answer for beginners. Stay away from half logs or anything similar. Snakes, especially BPs prefer as much security as possible. Cave like hides or the RBI hides are best. They should be fairly snug and have only one opening so the snake can feel 100% hidden out of sight.

2) plain and simple, if you can drink the water, so can your snake. Don't waste your money on chemicals. I treat my fish tanks, but have never treated any of my snakes' water.

3) I've got an Exo Terra that I use as my quarantine enclosure. The enclosure itself is fine, the stuff that comes with the setup is crap though. If my memory is correct it comes with aspen (not good for BPs), a thermometer that is useless (any analog dial ones are wildly inaccurate), a bowl that's way too small for a BP, and a hide that is too small for a BP.

4) I have a cat, no issues at all with my snakes in regards to scent setting off a feeding response. I also have 4 ferrets, no issue at all. That being said, if any of the snakes are out the ferrets are in their enclosure and the cat is in another room. Not worth the risk.

Lastly: MANY NEW KEEPERS DON'T UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF A THERMOSTAT. ALL HEAT SOURCES SHOULD BE REGULATED BY A THERMOSTAT.

Hope I helped!

Great job getting your setup ready BEFORE bringing your animal home. You're already a step up on many newbies.

I would give serious consideration to buying a juvenile BP from a reputable breeder though.
    Is there a reason you're planning on a rescue???

Thanks

I have one snake already, his name is Franky. I just want to add to my snake family. lol Since garter snakes are more on the fast side I also want something a little more on the slower side and bigger too. Thank you for letting me know though, I'm thankful someone would let me know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast