Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,113

2 members and 3,111 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Account Disabled
    Thanks

Bad Habit to Start?

I have my JCP in my office, which leads to the den she's the only snake from any of the snakes I have now and have had in the past that just seems to always enjoy moving and exploring. She's very active during the day and night and will occasionally take breaks some days. So lately, whenever I know I'll be at home for a few hours and she out of her hide, I've been opening up her cage and just keeping it open, and every time I go back to check up on her, she'll be completely out exploring, or she'll end up in the den. I'll let her explore for 30-45mins and then put her back in.

Some benefits I've found; she's completely dropped her hiss she used to do when you approached her, no longer head shy at all and just find her easier to hold and move around, feel like she trusts me more now. I believe she definitely enjoys the stretch and moving, plus I know it sounds crazy but she seems happier.
    I'm not worried about her getting hurt while she's out, as my office is literally a desk with my laptop on it, and the den is couches, tables, and everything else is inside the wall. Plus I am close by supervising.

I have noticed now she'll hang out beside the door and lift her head in the air, almost as to get my attention, and as soon as I slide that door open, she'll come right out!

So my question is, I have never had a snake that was a "pusher", could what I'm doing result in her starting to push on days I can't let her out?

Anything else that may come out of this that would be bad?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Bad Habit to Start?

I would just caution on making sure the areas in question are baby proof. I believe this to be even more important with adult snakes like yours.

My house has lots heavy tooling on display as well as breakable nick knacks. My adult snakes can easily knock over or pull a 20 pound press off of the table and hurt themselves, resulting in broken bones, squashed organs, and possibly death.

Little Olivia is too small to get hurt by these presses, but my big Boa got ahold of the press on the left as I was pulling him away. The press, very hard to find in this condition and not cheap, fell and broke the top half off and can’t be repaired. I was thankful that Punch didn’t get hurt.

I have lots of pictures on the wall. My guys seem to be drawn to them and it is as if they are trying to make it their mission to pull them off of the wall.

Lizzy at work

One time Elvira, my BP ripped a lamp out of the wall.

The problem with larger snakes is, everything is in reach. When I let them free range I am almost hovering over them and for sure I don’t take my eyes off of them.

Also, everyone of my snakes except for the baby Olive can easily knock a laptop off of the desk.

As long you are confident that your snake can’t get hurt or won’t destroy something that you want to keep, I think letting them explore is good for their inquisitive nature.
    Last edited by Reinz; 04-15-2018 at 10:18 AM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-15-2018),Gio (04-15-2018),jmcrook (04-15-2018),richardhind1972 (04-15-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I think as long as the room is pretty much baby proofed and you are closely supervising there's no issue with letting them roam. Just keep in mind, if there's trouble to be found, they will find it eventually

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

DennisM (04-15-2018),richardhind1972 (04-15-2018)