Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,065

1 members and 2,064 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Never discuss politics, religion, or live feeding.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (04-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Or petsmart/petco, reptile substrate, lighting, or how often you should take your snake out for a walk on a leash!
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-16-2018),vivi (04-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Live vs frozen/thawed

Quote Originally Posted by bhsurf4 View Post
    I'll start again by thanking all of you for your info. I'm sorry it turned into what it has turned into, but, although I'm new to this forum, I've been on several forums so I would be more shocked if it didn't evolve into something like it did. To quote the great Mr. King, "CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?" (OK, it's Rodney not Martin Luther but technically it's still Mr. King!"). I am fortunate to have a fantastic locally owned pet store that specializes in reptiles less than a mile from my front door so live and f/t are just as convenient As for cost, right now I have one snake and a couple dollars a week is not an issue. Safety wise, I've got a long pair of forceps (think that's what they're called) that I use to hold the tail of the mouse when I feed. I don't just drop it in there. She's on adult mice now, I feed every 4th or 5th day. She's never refused a meal and is growing FAST! I am gonna try a small rat really soon. I just wanted to know all the advantages and disadvantages in my husbandry because I love animals and would hate to think that I've taken the responsibility of snake ownership but aren't willing to do what's best for her health and safety.
    You're fine, we all enjoy helping. Just do what you have to in order to get your snake to eat. You may be able to switch him to frozen your first try, or he may not switch right away or even at all. You can try though, and things you can do make it more enticing for your snake. An example is instead of holding it by the tail with the forceps, get it behind the shoulder blades and have it's nose close to the BP, I've noticed this entices them a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Or petsmart/petco, reptile substrate, lighting, or how often you should take your snake out for a walk on a leash!
    Let's get back on subject now.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Subject ended with Deborah speaking the truth. Nothing really left to say.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

I have done both, pros and cons to both depending on individual circumstances.
    Less than 20 snakes: frozen, i can buy in bulk and store them for months.
    Breeder level/More than 20 snakes: I’m breeding my own and feeding live.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post

A bad breeder might feed live because it may be easier on them, too cheap to invest in a humane way to kill the mice/rats so they just feed them as is.
    You evidently dont know the amount of work it takes to keep and care for several hundred rats. The truth is frozen is easier amd more convenient to the keeper.

Before I got rid of my rats, my snakes ate weekly and almost never missed a meal. About a year ago I decided I wanted my personal time back on the weekends. ***YES I spent most of the weekends cleaning tubs and racks. Not to mention the twice a day checking on them for food, water and dirty tubs.*** Since the trying to switch, I have taken time off of breeding them because they are hit and miss on feeding on f/t. The big girls are not putting on weight as fast.
    Due to all of this I have been contemplating downsizing my collection.
    I removed the stress of the rodents from my life and now the snakes are almost as much of a stress getting them to eat on some type of regular schedule.
    I have always told people to feed them what they will eat and almost feel like a hypocrite now......
    In my case switching to frozen has taken the fun out of the breeding hobby for me.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (04-15-2018),CALM Pythons (04-16-2018),Craiga 01453 (04-16-2018),Godzilla78 (04-15-2018),MissterDog (04-15-2018),Neal (04-16-2018)

Thanks
    I was just able to get my big pastel, Pandora, to take her first meal in 5 months, a small live rat. She was pounding f/t medium rats for 6 months before she decided to go on a diet, and refused to eat them no matter what I tried. I plan on breeding her, so I really wanted to get her to stop losing weight and start gaining. I know that she has been hungry for the last few weeks because she has been coming out of her hide earlier and earlier in the evening. In the end, alive rat broke her fast, and while I'm hoping that she will go back to frozen after getting a meal in her, it required a live rat to do it, and if need be I'll feed her more.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-16-2018)

Thanks
    I perfer frozen mainly because its easier to have a consistent size on hand and i get a better deal buying 100 frozen rats vs 9 live rats for the week as i dont plan on breeding my own rats. Also they dont harm the snake. 7 out of the 9 snakes i currently own started on live all transitioned great expect for my Fire pastel she didnt eat for a month and a half then i finally figured her out she doesnt like to be watched i have to set the hot rat in there and leave it thats the only way she will take FT.
    Last edited by bu998; 04-18-2018 at 09:10 AM.
    Like and follow my page for updates on my projects

https://m.facebook.com/blureptiles/?ref=bookmarks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123