Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ


» Today's Birthdays

DMills (45)

» Stats

Members: 60,458
Threads: 231,916
Posts: 2,395,572
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, Qwattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-21-2018
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    Live vs frozen/thawed

    I've only had my girl a little over a month and the breeder I got her from told me they always fed live, so I've been feeding live. Is there a reason or advantage in one over the other, besides convenience or cost?

  2. #2
    Account Disabled
    Join Date
    01-12-2018
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
    The list of advantages for F/T is plentiful, so to keep it short, there are absolutely no advantages, except disadvantages of Live feeders, not a single advantage that could convince someone to switch over.
    One common thing you hear with owners who do Live which is totally wrong is, "I want the snake to feel like it's still in the wild, its better for it", they still attack the F/T feeder the same way, so it's no different.

    A bad breeder might feed live because it may be easier on them, too cheap to invest in a humane way to kill the mice/rats so they just feed them as is.

    Also, you'll find from many veterans on here, they don't believe in a snake that only eats Live or won't eat F/T, every snake can be switched over with time, skill and patience.

    Best of luck with your girl.

  3. #3
    Registered User craigafrechette's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-27-2017
    Location
    Ayer, MA USA
    Posts
    4,094
    Thanks
    4,734
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,696 Posts
    The short and simple answer to why I feed F/T to my snakes is this: it's safer for the snakes.

    There are several reasons, but that's number one.
    FACT: Dead mice and rats don't fight back.

    Aside from breeding my own mice and rats buying F/T in bulk is far and away the most inexpensive way to go as well.

    It's also convenient. Buy prey items, put prey items in freezer, take out what you need. Order more when getting low. Simple and delivered to my door.

    I personally love pretty much all animals, mice and rats included. So watching and hearing them die isn't something I want to do. I eat meat, I know where it came from. But at least I didn't have to watch it die. When I buy groceries, I just see food. When I buy F/T prey I just see food. In either scenario, it's food to me at that point and not a living animal.

    Anyway, those are the main reasons I feed F/T to my snakes, with safety to the snakes being the most important factor.
    ...life is beautiful...

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craigafrechette For This Useful Post:

    Ronniex2 (04-18-2018),Sgt7212 (04-15-2018)

  5. #4
    BPnet Lifer Neal's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-23-2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    7,192
    Thanks
    558
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 1,412 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7
    Images: 1

    Re: Live vs frozen/thawed

    Quote Originally Posted by bhsurf4 View Post
    I've only had my girl a little over a month and the breeder I got her from told me they always fed live, so I've been feeding live. Is there a reason or advantage in one over the other, besides convenience or cost?
    Some will never eat f/t, some may eat f/t right away and some may switch eventually.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
    The list of advantages for F/T is plentiful, so to keep it short, there are absolutely no advantages, except disadvantages of Live feeders, not a single advantage that could convince someone to switch over.
    One common thing you hear with owners who do Live which is totally wrong is, "I want the snake to feel like it's still in the wild, its better for it", they still attack the F/T feeder the same way, so it's no different.

    A bad breeder might feed live because it may be easier on them, too cheap to invest in a humane way to kill the mice/rats so they just feed them as is.

    Also, you'll find from many veterans on here, they don't believe in a snake that only eats Live or won't eat F/T, every snake can be switched over with time, skill and patience.

    Best of luck with your girl.
    Now since you're new here I'm going to tell you about tossing around statements like: "A bad breeder might feed live because it may be easier on them, too cheap to invest in a humane way to kill."

    You don't need to assume. I will tell you the realistic reason since you don't seem to know or understand. When you have 1000+ snakes, you breed your own rats, as it's cheaper than buying. Thawing out different sizes in random numbers with ball pythons who can be entirely picky would easily take more time than you realize. If you had experience with this in any aspect then you would understand that.

    Now look at it this way, they don't have the time to make sure that everything eats, especially when you deal with babies. Sometimes you have to let babies be for a while to let them eat, which means you will check on them later or the next day, depending on what all you have going on. If you did this with frozen thawed then you would have an extremely stinky room. By putting rat pinkies or rat fuzzies you can let them be in there and check later. Also with mouse hoppers the movement triggers a snakes feeding response, so it's not that they're a bad breeder or cheap. It's that they know from experience how to do things. So before you chime in, please try to know what you're talking about.
    -Colubrids-
    2.0.0 - Rhamphiophis rostratus (Rufous Beaked)
    1.0.0 - Elaphe climacophora (Kunashir Island Rat Snake)

    -Venomous-
    1.1.0 - Atheris squamigera (Variable Bush Viper)
    1.0.0 - Cerastes cerastes (Desert Horned Viper)
    1.0.0 - Naja siamensis (Black & White Spitting Cobra)


  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

    CALM Pythons (04-15-2018),craigafrechette (04-15-2018),MissterDog (04-15-2018),PitOnTheProwl (04-15-2018),Sgt7212 (04-15-2018)

  7. #5
    Registered User craigafrechette's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-27-2017
    Location
    Ayer, MA USA
    Posts
    4,094
    Thanks
    4,734
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,696 Posts

    Re: Live vs frozen/thawed

    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Some will never eat f/t, some may eat f/t right away and some may switch eventually.


    Now since you're new here I'm going to tell you about tossing around statements like: "A bad breeder might feed live because it may be easier on them, too cheap to invest in a humane way to kill."

    You don't need to assume. I will tell you the realistic reason since you don't seem to know or understand. When you have 1000+ snakes, you breed your own rats, as it's cheaper than buying. Thawing out different sizes in random numbers with ball pythons who can be entirely picky would easily take more time than you realize. If you had experience with this in any aspect then you would understand that.

    Now look at it this way, they don't have the time to make sure that everything eats, especially when you deal with babies. Sometimes you have to let babies be for a while to let them eat, which means you will check on them later or the next day, depending on what all you have going on. If you did this with frozen thawed then you would have an extremely stinky room. By putting rat pinkies or rat fuzzies you can let them be in there and check later. Also with mouse hoppers the movement triggers a snakes feeding response, so it's not that they're a bad breeder or cheap. It's that they know from experience how to do things. So before you chime in, please try to know what you're talking about.

    Well said, Neal.
    ...life is beautiful...

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craigafrechette For This Useful Post:

    CALM Pythons (04-15-2018),Neal (04-15-2018)

  9. #6
    Registered User craigafrechette's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-27-2017
    Location
    Ayer, MA USA
    Posts
    4,094
    Thanks
    4,734
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,696 Posts

    Re: Live vs frozen/thawed

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
    The list of advantages for F/T is plentiful, so to keep it short, there are absolutely no advantages, except disadvantages of Live feeders, not a single advantage that could convince someone to switch over.
    One common thing you hear with owners who do Live which is totally wrong is, "I want the snake to feel like it's still in the wild, its better for it", they still attack the F/T feeder the same way, so it's no different.

    A bad breeder might feed live because it may be easier on them, too cheap to invest in a humane way to kill the mice/rats so they just feed them as is.

    Also, you'll find from many veterans on here, they don't believe in a snake that only eats Live or won't eat F/T, every snake can be switched over with time, skill and patience.

    Best of luck with your girl.
    Unfortunately, this reply is primarily not true.
    ...life is beautiful...

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craigafrechette For This Useful Post:

    CALM Pythons (04-15-2018),MissterDog (04-15-2018)

  11. #7
    Registered User C.Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-14-2017
    Posts
    503
    Thanks
    1,725
    Thanked 232 Times in 207 Posts
    For me in my neck of the woods I have at least three places to get f/t' s but even if I wanted to no where to get live feeders so I guess it's the best situation for my location. Also I don't eat meat but understand fully not all life forms can survive and thrive on said diet so I cringe at the idea of hearing something screaming out for its life I would have a Silince of the Lambs moment best wishes in which ever you choose 😊
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

  12. #8
    BPnet Lifer Neal's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-23-2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    7,192
    Thanks
    558
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 1,412 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7
    Images: 1

    Re: Live vs frozen/thawed

    Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Unfortunately, this reply is primarily not true.
    Yea, that pushed the wrong button when I read that.
    -Colubrids-
    2.0.0 - Rhamphiophis rostratus (Rufous Beaked)
    1.0.0 - Elaphe climacophora (Kunashir Island Rat Snake)

    -Venomous-
    1.1.0 - Atheris squamigera (Variable Bush Viper)
    1.0.0 - Cerastes cerastes (Desert Horned Viper)
    1.0.0 - Naja siamensis (Black & White Spitting Cobra)


  13. #9
    Registered User craigafrechette's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-27-2017
    Location
    Ayer, MA USA
    Posts
    4,094
    Thanks
    4,734
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,696 Posts

    Re: Live vs frozen/thawed

    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Yea, that pushed the wrong button when I read that.
    I hear ya. Unfortunately, that's one drawback to public forums. There's no prerequisites in order to post anything you want. Misinformation can be spread so quickly.

    That's why I say, probably all too often, always learn from reliable sources and cross reference any info you receive before taking it as true and before putting anything into action.

    Abraham Lincoln was once quoted saying "Be careful what you read on the internet, 80% of it simply isn't true."
    --------> if Honest Abe said it, it MUST be true.
    Last edited by craigafrechette; 04-15-2018 at 08:26 AM.
    ...life is beautiful...

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to craigafrechette For This Useful Post:

    CALM Pythons (04-15-2018),Deborah (04-15-2018),MissterDog (04-15-2018)

  15. #10
    Account Disabled
    Join Date
    01-12-2018
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts

    Re: Live vs frozen/thawed

    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Some will never eat f/t, some may eat f/t right away and some may switch eventually.


    Now since you're new here I'm going to tell you about tossing around statements like: "A bad breeder might feed live because it may be easier on them, too cheap to invest in a humane way to kill."

    You don't need to assume. I will tell you the realistic reason since you don't seem to know or understand. When you have 1000+ snakes, you breed your own rats, as it's cheaper than buying. Thawing out different sizes in random numbers with ball pythons who can be entirely picky would easily take more time than you realize. If you had experience with this in any aspect then you would understand that.

    Now look at it this way, they don't have the time to make sure that everything eats, especially when you deal with babies. Sometimes you have to let babies be for a while to let them eat, which means you will check on them later or the next day, depending on what all you have going on. If you did this with frozen thawed then you would have an extremely stinky room. By putting rat pinkies or rat fuzzies you can let them be in there and check later. Also with mouse hoppers the movement triggers a snakes feeding response, so it's not that they're a bad breeder or cheap. It's that they know from experience how to do things. So before you chime in, please try to know what you're talking about.
    I find it funny you and Craig are claiming my post is not true, and go on about like I told the person to feed his snake veggies instead. I answered his question, you didn't lol.

    BUT my statement clearly stated a BAD breeder MAY do something for a particular reason, you claim I shouldn't assume, yet you went ahead and assumed I said or meant all breeders. You're also ASSUMING that he bought it from a breeder who has a 1000 snakes. Last time I checked in Canada, and I'm going to ASSUME in the US, there are a lot more smaller/personal breeders than the larger breeders/dealers. And not all Breeders are the same.

    And then you continue to discuss it as if I now screwed the person over, funny thing about forums is people think they are experts based on how long they've been here for or how many posts.

    Yeah I'm going to defend my words and yeah I find the extra comments weren't necessary, the extra information was helpful and gives people another view to look at, but was more of, let me come in here, ignore the main question and just go off about how bad this person's assuming comment was.

    So I'm going to stick with my original comment as being useful

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1