Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,730

1 members and 2,729 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

BP Addiction - How did you know/how long did it take?

Being relatively new to snakes (not other herps), I'm curious as to when/how folks realized the BP addiction had set in. There is something fantastically fun about BPs, and compared to some other animals, they seem relatively easy to care for as long as you're providing proper husbandry. Browsing MorphMarket is currently my favorite way to relax, ha. Annnnd we may have picked up a beautiful Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe... no photos yet because he arrived in shed and he just took his first meal last night.

So I think it's safe to say that snakes are now my favorite hobby.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    When you can’t stay away from selling sites that’s a good sign that addiction is setting in.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (04-16-2018),Sonny1318 (04-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    Currently in major addict phase. I’ll let you know once I complete rehab ...!

however mine is stretching beyond bps. I have a few now and want and am after other snakes.

Morph market is like the worst thing ever lol.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (04-16-2018)

Thanks

Re: BP Addiction - How did you know/how long did it take?

When you get up to 15 and say ok I’m done.....but man that female would do real well in my collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://www.morphmarket.com/us/searc...t=&layout=grid

Instagram - CH_Reptiles_com
    My BPs -

https://youtu.be/TZB9IFIq6-g - Albino and Coral Glow Pastel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM612TpsTkk&t=7s - Pastel Lesser Het Clown
    https://youtu.be/XubMkeMBkPU - Killer Blast
    https://youtu.be/OF-x6Lt-OgQ - Super Pastel Het Clown
    https://youtu.be/XhbnRoMn1Sk - Pastel Clown

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ceh23 For This Useful Post:

the_rotten1 (04-16-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    It's like any other addiction. When it starts taking over your life, you're in over your head and your first and last thoughts each day revolve around it.

As long as you're providing proper care for the animals, still going to work and living a normal life and living within your means it's a hobby, a passion.

I see so many people dive in head first. They go from their first snake to 6, 8, 10, 20 in a matter of months. Unfortunately, I see many disappear after a year or two or three. Or sell of their collections. It's a fad or a phase for a lot of people, which is unfortunate for the animals. They're not baseball cards or Pokemon or beanie babies. They're living things... Remember when people were "addicted" to Pokemon Go? Yeah, me too. When's the last time you saw somebody playing? Been a while since I have. Unfortunately some people are the same with snakes. It's a fad or phase that they get bored with.

But then again, some dive in head first because they've truly found their passion. And as long as the animals are well cared for I'm all for it. If I had the financial means I would have more snakes. But for now, I'm living within my means. I'm passionate about this hobby and about my animals, and because I'm living within my means they are all well taken care of.

It's a passion, not an addiction. Addiction is a whole other world, trust me, I know.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (04-14-2018),Godzilla78 (04-14-2018),Jus1More (04-16-2018),Kira (04-14-2018),MissterDog (04-14-2018),Reinz (04-14-2018),Sonny1318 (04-16-2018),the_rotten1 (04-16-2018),tttaylorrr (04-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    It's like any other addiction. When it starts taking over your life, you're in over your head and your first and last thoughts each day revolve around it.

As long as you're providing proper care for the animals, still going to work and living a normal life and living within your means it's a hobby, a passion.

I see so many people dive in head first. They go from their first snake to 6, 8, 10, 20 in a matter of months. Unfortunately, I see many disappear after a year or two or three. Or sell of their collections. It's a fad or a phase for a lot of people, which is unfortunate for the animals. They're not baseball cards or Pokemon or beanie babies. They're living things... Remember when people were "addicted" to Pokemon Go? Yeah, me too. When's the last time you saw somebody playing? Been a while since I have. Unfortunately some people are the same with snakes. It's a fad or phase that they get bored with.

But then again, some dive in head first because they've truly found their passion. And as long as the animals are well cared for I'm all for it. If I had the financial means I would have more snakes. But for now, I'm living within my means. I'm passionate about this hobby and about my animals, and because I'm living within my means they are all well taken care of.

It's a passion, not an addiction. Addiction is a whole other world, trust me, I know.
    I like how you phrased all of this. I joked a bit about the "addiction" aspect of ball pythons, as many do, but you're incredibly right to bring up concerns surrounding that terminology. Animal hoarding and other addictive behaviors are no laughing matter. Having the means to provide adequate care/high quality of life for any animal someone keeps is essential. It's important for everyone to know their limits and do their research.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-15-2018),Godzilla78 (04-14-2018),Starscream (04-15-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Bought 7 this month, what's addiction ?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Het Desert Ghost

0.1 Super Pastel VPI Axanthic Enchi (Jasmin)

0.1 Black Pastel Mojave
    0.1 Calico Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Het Red Axanthic Het Desert Ghost
    1.0 Orange Dream Enchi Fire
    0.1 leatherback hypo Bearded Dragon
    1.0 Purple Motley Suntiger Citron Reticulated
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.2 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    0.0.1 White Tree Frog
    1.0 Green Anaconda
    0.1 Indonesian Frilled Dragon

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    I like how you phrased all of this. I joked a bit about the "addiction" aspect of ball pythons, as many do, but you're incredibly right to bring up concerns surrounding that terminology. Animal hoarding and other addictive behaviors are no laughing matter. Having the means to provide adequate care/high quality of life for any animal someone keeps is essential. It's important for everyone to know their limits and do their research.
    Thanks for that, I do appreciate. I probably could have started with a disclaimer or something though. I personally have no issue whatsoever regarding the phrasing or the "slang" terminology of the word "addict" or "addiction". People seem to get offended a little too easily in today's society, in my opinionion. As long as the words aren't used in a hateful, derogatory way I have zero issue with it.
    I understood the original question and know there was no harm intended by the phrasing of it. I just answered it in my own words.
    Thanks again for your reply, it means a lot that you took the time to clear that up. I was 100% fine with the original thread, so sorry if I caused any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwood View Post
    Bought 7 this month, what's addiction ?

Hahaha, Yup! You're a perfect example of diving in head first.
    I hope to see you still around in a few years with a thriving group of animals.
    As long as you're providing proper care for the animals and living within your means I offer my support and encouragement 100%.

Thanks

Took me 2-3 weeks after my first snake before I was like, "This is the coolest thing ever. It's like science and art and animals all together." I like using my really outgoing/curious/mellow snakes to help people overcome their fears, I use them when teaching kids so they don't grow up irrationally afraid of snakes, I like watching them snatch f/t right off the tongs and I mentally "grade" them on how well they do...I even like the husbandry aspects of daily inspections/cleaning, weighing the wee ones. When I have a rough day at work and it's like "wtf do I do this again? Oh yeah, I do it for my snakes. If I volunteer for overtime I can update a thermostat, rack, etc. etc." It's a motivational thing.

Morph Mart is like crack. For real.

And I still play Pokemon Go. (Yuuuuup. I'm that geek)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Devonna For This Useful Post:

the_rotten1 (04-16-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Thanks for that, I do appreciate. I probably could have started with a disclaimer or something though. I personally have no issue whatsoever regarding the phrasing or the "slang" terminology of the word "addict" or "addiction". People seem to get offended a little too easily in today's society, in my opinionion. As long as the words aren't used in a hateful, derogatory way I have zero issue with it.
    I understood the original question and know there was no harm intended by the phrasing of it. I just answered it in my own words.
    Thanks again for your reply, it means a lot that you took the time to clear that up. I was 100% fine with the original thread, so sorry if I caused any confusion.

Hahaha, Yup! You're a perfect example of diving in head first.
    I hope to see you still around in a few years with a thriving group of animals.
    As long as you're providing proper care for the animals and living within your means I offer my support and encouragement 100%.
    I never spend more then I can afford, and all my snakes are treated like pets not projects, even though that's what most of them are

0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Het Desert Ghost

0.1 Super Pastel VPI Axanthic Enchi (Jasmin)

0.1 Black Pastel Mojave
    0.1 Calico Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Het Red Axanthic Het Desert Ghost
    1.0 Orange Dream Enchi Fire
    0.1 leatherback hypo Bearded Dragon
    1.0 Purple Motley Suntiger Citron Reticulated
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.2 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    0.0.1 White Tree Frog
    1.0 Green Anaconda
    0.1 Indonesian Frilled Dragon

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmwood For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-15-2018),the_rotten1 (04-16-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast