Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,105

1 members and 1,104 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Newbie question/concern

Hello all,

I am super new to the world of owning a ball python. My boyfriend and I of course got a bumble bee. She ate great the first week we had her and now she won't eat. It has been 3 weeks and she acts interested but won't eat. We have not changed anything since day one. She struck once at the f/t rat yesterday but missed and didn't try again.

Should I be worried?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Thanks

Re: Newbie question/concern

First of all: Congrats to your new family member

Now to your concern. Can you tell us what the temperature (hot and cold side) and the humidity is? Do you handle her often? Does she have two identical hides? Is every heat source regulated by a thermostat? Is she in a room with a lot of traffic? How big is the enclosure? How much does the snake weigh?

It can happen that snakes just won't eat, especially ball pythons. With young snakes it's a bit more uncommen. If we know more about your husbandry, we can maybe try to deduct a source of your problems.
    Male Ball Python (Bumblebee het 100% Clown) - Friedrich
    Female Cat (unknown heritage, was an orphaned kitten) - Shirley

Thanks

The hot side is at 91 but I'm not sure what the cold side is running, we haven't gotten a laser temp gun yet. The humidity stays anywhere from 50% to 60% in the 40 gallon aquarium we have her in...after research I know this is a bad thing and want to switch her to a terraruim but want her eating before we do this as to not stress her. Her enclosure is in the living room but currently only my boyfriend lives at the house. She has two hides, the one on the hot side is just slightly bigger. The temperature is regulated by a thermostat. We have not handled her in 3 weeks and won't until she eats regularly for us. When we got her she was 790 grams and was apparently eating f/t small rats readily and consistently. The one time she ate for me she did not constrict the rat like most ball pythons do.

If she didn't eat that first week I wouldn't be as concerned as I am. I was even tempted to take her to the vets but I don't want to stress her out anymore then I need to.

Thanks

I can't help much on the not eating front as I am pretty new myself and my girl came to us mostly grown.

However, I can say that not constricting the rat is probably not a worry. BPs can have different eating styles, and even the same snake can act differently from meal to meal. My girl ranges from body slamming the rat and coiling it to making me drop the rat in her tank and leave the room.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    How do you know the hot side temp without a gun?

you really need that gun and you need to take the temps at the glass and all around to make sure there aren’t big swings.

What orher hearing source are you using ? Heat lamp? Ceramic heat?

you should really have two identical hides.

Mare you feeding frozen? How are you preparing ?

have you tried leaving the food out for a bit and leaving the room?

you should also black out 3 sides of the tank so that only the front is exposed to make the snake feel more secure. Do you have anything else in the aquarium ? Fake plants ? Things to climb ? Etc.

it sounds like you guys Are off to a good start but need some more gear and adjustments. Hope this helps.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Since the snake is new to it's new enclosure, surroundings, etc...its not uncommon for the animal to refuse to eat.

Now, onto why the snake isn't eating. There are two major reasons they don't eat 1) husbandry and 2) stress.

So, since you don't even have the proper equipment to measure temps, start there. Get proper thermometers/hygrometers, a temp gun, etc... until you know temps we can't even start to help. Thermo/hygro accurites are $10 at Wal-Mart. Temp guns about $10 at Wal-Mart. You've had the snake a month and don't know temps....thats a start. Get the proper equipment, take some temps and start there...
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 04-14-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Thanks

The thermostat we have the UTH hooked up to is set at 91 and constantly is adjusting to keep the hot side at 91. The probe is right above the UTH burried mid way in the substrate. Is this inaccurate?

We are feeding small frozen thawed rats. We seal them in plastic bags and submerge them in hot water untill they are all squishy and warm to the touch.

I have tried leaving food in her cage once overnight and it was untouched in the am.

I'll try blacking out 3 sides, the tank is pushed up into a corner but it can't hurt to try. As for foliage we don't have any yet.i was concerned adding to much into her cage might upset her more.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    How do you know the hot side temp without a gun?

you really need that gun and you need to take the temps at the glass and all around to make sure there aren’t big swings.

What orher hearing source are you using ? Heat lamp? Ceramic heat?

you should really have two identical hides.

Mare you feeding frozen? How are you preparing ?

have you tried leaving the food out for a bit and leaving the room?

you should also black out 3 sides of the tank so that only the front is exposed to make the snake feel more secure. Do you have anything else in the aquarium ? Fake plants ? Things to climb ? Etc.

it sounds like you guys Are off to a good start but need some more gear and adjustments. Hope this helps.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker61610 View Post
    The thermostat we have the UTH hooked up to is set at 91 and constantly is adjusting to keep the hot side at 91. The probe is right above the UTH burried mid way in the substrate. Is this inaccurate?
    The probe should be OUTSIDE the enclosure sandwich between the UTH and the surface of the enclosure. With it where it is it can/will be moved, peed on, etc... all of which will cause inaccurate reading which could result in dangerous heat spikes which can cause serious burns or worse to your snake.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (04-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker61610 View Post

We are feeding small frozen thawed rats. We seal them in plastic bags and submerge them in hot water untill they are all squishy and warm to the touch.

I have tried leaving food in her cage once overnight and it was untouched in the am.

I'll try blacking out 3 sides, the tank is pushed up into a corner but it can't hurt to try. As for foliage we don't have any yet.i was concerned adding to much into her cage might upset her more.

Hi..

So what are you actually using to test the temps ( especially under the warm hide ) ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-14-2018)