Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,453

0 members and 3,453 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Coconut oil to kill mites?

Just wondering if anyone has else has tried lathering up their snake in coconut oil to another mites that may be on them?

I knew that before the end of Friday the thirteenth something bad would happen, at at 11pm as I was checking on my newest bp, Amora, I noticed a nice big blood filled mite crawling on the top of her head.... needless to say I was not amused.

Well, the funny thing is that I had her in quarantine for a month, saw no mites, and moved her in with my other reptiles a week ago.... well, surprise! In retrospect, should have gone at least two months, but was lulled into a false sense of security by the apparent lack of mites on a rather light colored snake. So i tossed her substrate, scrubbed and disinfected her tank and hide and water bowl, and have her set up in another room with paper towel. So far it seems my other reptiles are mite free.

Now, here is where things get interesting...
    I normally douse the snake in reptile relief every week for 3 weeks when I treat for mites, in addition to recleaning everything. I am currently out of it, so I'm doing what I did last time I got a snake with mites... coconut oil. I pour some in my hands and rub the entire snake down, making sure I also get the head as best I can before putting them back in the clean cage. last time I did this once a week for a month and it seemed to work perfectly, never saw another mite after the first treatment.

My question is if anyone else has ever tried it, and if so, did it work for you too?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Any type of oil will suffocate mites, adult mites is not your only worry, the egg stage is too and that can only be taken care of with PAM and alike chemicals (Rid etc), other method oil, dish detergent, chemicals like mite of, reptile relief and so forth will lead to re-integration in 30 days as they do not take care of the eggs.

The other downside to any type of oil applied on a snake, it loosen scales and lead to scale loss.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (04-14-2018)

Thanks
    It can loosen scales, huh? Maybe I'll go ahead and grab more reptile spray and use that instead then before next week.

I honestly don't trust pam, as I've heard of too many people having snake health issues and random deaths after using it, so I usually just soak and scrub the hell out of everything with scalding water and bleach.