Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,824

2 members and 2,822 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts

Cleaning rituals...

I’d love to hear everyone’s cleaning rituals and routines?

What do you keep your animals in as you clean? How often? What do you do? What have you learned along the way?

I need to get myself something to secure the animal in as I clean. I’ve been spot cleaning but I feel like I need to really deep clean more and keep the snake contained as I dive in there. I was thinking just a nice long tub w some holes to house the snake as I dive in the enclosure.

I’d love some insight from all the pros. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    i wish i had more pictures!

i have spare 15qt tubs (with air holes and locking lid) that i keep the snakes in while i clean. this photo was taken during a cleaning:

they fit everyone i have (900g+).

after i clean, i make sure to handle them and give everyone a good once-over. then back into their clean enclosure they go. Corny will always poop immediately as soon as he's in.

for the rack, i just prepare a spare tub and plop the snake in while i clean the dirty one.

i spot clean daily or every other day, and deep cleans with total substrate changes are usually once a month.

to summarize: tubs. multiple tubs. with air holes.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 04-13-2018 at 05:30 PM. Reason: cleaning frequency
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Phillydubs (04-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    For deep cleans, I have a smaller tub (can't remember the qt-age, probably around 30 or so) that I put a layer of substrate in, a hide, and a water bowl. I put Maze in that while I clean her entire enclosure and everything in it.

For spot cleans I either give her to my roommate to handle for a minute or let her roam my bed while I check under all her hides lol.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

Phillydubs (04-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i spot clean on a daily/weekly. that means i remove poop, urates, soiled substrate as needed. i do a full dump of substrate every 3-4 weeks and wash out tubs and wipe down my 1 PVC enclosure. hides, waterbowl and fake rubber foliage goes in the dishwasher b/c it's easy. and i do a deep clean around 3 months. it’s everything mentioned already plus f10 disinfectant and the rack walls/floor/ceiling get cleaned as well (not just their tubs).

i second the holding tub. also have an open trash bin to dump all the crap. and of course, blast some jams and sing/dance along to pop radio!
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks
    I thought this thread was going to be about booze and music choice. Cleaning tubs and cages ain't rocket surgery.

I strive to be someone with perfectly clean cages as often as possible. Should be able to do surgery in a snake room. Lizard rooms... good luck with that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts

Re: Cleaning rituals...

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    I thought this thread was going to be about booze and music choice. Cleaning tubs and cages ain't rocket surgery.

I strive to be someone with perfectly clean cages as often as possible. Should be able to do surgery in a snake room. Lizard rooms... good luck with that.
    It can be about whatever you want Mr rocket scientist.

Im sure someone as smart as you is splitting atoms as they clean their tubs with their feet...?

no one said it was difficult I was simply ask what people do and how they go about it

Thanks
    I used to try and get my cleaning done as fast as possible because I was worried about where to put my BP. Now I just put him down on the floor and throw his hide on top of him.

As for cleaning, I was using brown paper substrate which I would change every week and spray the enclosure w/ cleaning spray (can't remember the name but purchased on reptile basics). Now, since I switched to ReptiChip, I can get away w/ simple spot cleaning.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    It can be about whatever you want Mr rocket scientist.

Im sure someone as smart as you is splitting atoms as they clean their tubs with their feet...?

no one said it was difficult I was simply ask what people do and how they go about it

I am the best cage cleaner. The BEST.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    and i do a deep clean around 3 months. it’s everything mentioned already plus f10 disinfectant...
    okay i've been too embarrassed to ask this: why is f10 the preferred? because vets use it? from my research, aldehyde is the scary chemical of disinfectants. i've been using regular Lysol disinfectant wipes for over 3 years and have had no issues, but obvi my one experience doesn't trump others. from my (limited) research, Lysol does not use that chemical.

could i get your opinion on this, please? ty.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 04-13-2018 at 09:29 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Reinz (04-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Well since I have a rack system with several extra tubs I get the extra tubs prepared with new Prococo (coconut husk chips) and fresh water. Then I pull the tub with the snake, move the snake over to the new tub and slide it back in the rack. Works like a charm. I save all my old Prococo and either sell it or give it away, some use it for their garden soil, others use it for landscaping. I spray down my tubs with bleach diluted with water and let it soak for about 10 minutes then rinse with water and dry, then repeat. For my retics I actually bought an extra ARS boa tub. I get the new tub all ready with fresh substrate and simply move the snake from one tub to the other. So simple. And my retics are so big they are partly in both tubs at the same time, I don't even have to really lift them up completely. And after I'm all done cleaning I use the extra boa tub to keep extra substrate. If I have to change out a tub or so a big spot cleaning between full substrate clean outs I use the extra Prococo in the boa tub.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 04-13-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast