Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,969

1 members and 2,968 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: The $30k ball python morph is back!

Buy this baby....just think of the possibilities....

Scaleless killer blade clowns?....

What's up Taylor!? Long time no see!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (04-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Buy this baby....just think of the possibilities....

Scaleless killer blade clowns?....

What's up Taylor!? Long time no see!
    THREAD DIGRESSION:

where were you?? i missed you at Tinley.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 04-14-2018 at 01:14 AM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    why not?
    Primarily because there is virtually no new money coming for "high end" BP morphs. It's a dead market. Look at this site. 99.9% people have a few pet ball pythons. No one is spending thousands anymore.

you're trying to say that breeders were manipulating prices of a market before any type of market was even established? you don't think breeders negotiated with the importers on the best price? i have to disagree. importers set the OG price, not breeders; new morphs aren't just pulled out of thin air.
    I'm saying that all the major breeders know and depend on each other. Pricing brand new morphs at anything below ludicrous price is a good way to get ostracized from the group since the perception is that having $30k+ price tags on new stuff somehow elevates the rest of the market strictly from a marketing standpoint. It's not because anyone is actually paying those prices.

also, non-big breeders have been buying up het Scaleless like crazy these days; supply and demand!
    This is believable. A few years back, a name brand BP breeder told me his actual cash revenue was "only" about $55k that year, almost all from hets because that's all people could afford. All the high end stuff sat unsold or was traded between other breeders, often multiple times.

the albino was the first beep morph - recessive - and a pair sold for ~30K in today's US dollar worth. why is that not a relevant note, especially with Scaleless being the new big deal? someone had to decide those Albinos were worth the $krilla, and put their money where their mouth is. same is true today with new genes: yes breeders usually trade within, but that does not diminish the risk on the investment, nor the cost of raising animals, OR the other breeders who spend their fortune on them. people buy these animals. at that price or p darn close. that's a fact.
    Yes people USED to do that, but almost all of them lost money and aren't around anymore. People are smarter now and realize it's very difficult to make money in the middle of the market because it's so small. Big breeders aren't buying from little guys (they mostly trade with each other) and the pet crowd doesn't want to spend more than $200.

would you drop 7k on a new gene imported from Africa from some nobody breeder?? would you trust the price of $100 from them? that's why new morphs stay within reputable and big breeder circles.

breeders rarely choose a realistic price point on these new/rare morphs, and often overprice them specifically to stop tire-kickers and work towards something realistic, but you can't tell me the actual sale price isn't close to what the breeder offers.

people pay those prices, or at least something close. that's just how it is.
    Agree to disagree. I hear whispers of it happening on very rare occasions. I have heard of a few monster $50k orders coming in from Europe since the market there is still less mature, but that's rare and almost no big US deals seem to be happening. If those deals were still going down, I feel like we'd be hearing about them and the mid-tier breeders wouldn't have crashed so hard.

Thanks

In a nutshell, a random Tinder date (lol) right before Tinley to grab some tacos de asada and a bottle of Corona led to my goofy self dating a very nice lady for the last month or so.... what she sees in a guy with a love affair for large snakes I will never understand

SO that's what's been going on for me. I have to post pictures of my Burm ! He has gotten HUGE!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (04-14-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    Agree to disagree.
    i appreciate the discussion, and your points are valid, however i just don't think there's some undercover mafia controlling the highly valuable morphs of the beep market. agree to disagree.

not to be a butt, but most of your posts are super sarcastic and unproductive; this was a nice change of pace and i appreciate your informed approach.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 04-14-2018 at 01:33 AM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Should have realized I just stepped into the middle of a battlefield here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Should have realized I just stepped into the middle of a battlefield here.
    honestly i thought this went well!
    PM me if you want to talk more!!!
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Primarily because there is virtually no new money coming for "high end" BP morphs. It's a dead market. Look at this site. 99.9% people have a few pet ball pythons. No one is spending thousands anymore.

I'm saying that all the major breeders know and depend on each other. Pricing brand new morphs at anything below ludicrous price is a good way to get ostracized from the group since the perception is that having $30k+ price tags on new stuff somehow elevates the rest of the market strictly from a marketing standpoint. It's not because anyone is actually paying those prices.

This is believable. A few years back, a name brand BP breeder told me his actual cash revenue was "only" about $55k that year, almost all from hets because that's all people could afford. All the high end stuff sat unsold or was traded between other breeders, often multiple times.

Yes people USED to do that, but almost all of them lost money and aren't around anymore. People are smarter now and realize it's very difficult to make money in the middle of the market because it's so small. Big breeders aren't buying from little guys (they mostly trade with each other) and the pet crowd doesn't want to spend more than $200.

Agree to disagree. I hear whispers of it happening on very rare occasions. I have heard of a few monster $50k orders coming in from Europe since the market there is still less mature, but that's rare and almost no big US deals seem to be happening. If those deals were still going down, I feel like we'd be hearing about them and the mid-tier breeders wouldn't have crashed so hard.
    When your talking about $30-$50k sales I can agree, not many are investing that kind of money. But when you talk about nobody spending thousands and only want $200 snakes, that just isn't true. I've personally witnessed dozens of $1000 plus sales happen in the past year or two. Have you not been to the big shows? Every time I go I see a few sales like that and that's just what I've witnessed personally so I'm sure there must be a lot of them happening.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Amos1974 (04-16-2018)

Thanks

Not anymore. The ball python boom is officially over - same as leopard geckos, corn snakes, crested geckos, and bearded dragons. The big guys are shifting their focus to snakes that retail for about $200 because that's what sells. The big money has moved on to hognose snakes and blue tongue skinks!

Though, the high end reptile market is mostly a mirage. Very few $3k+ animals are actually sold for cash. Most are traded.
    most of you really have no Idea about the market... I always spend 3k+ on my snakes and snakes $1500+ sell better for me than $200 snakes... the reason the price is high is because the demand is HIGH! if the breeders of sunsets set the price to where they sell out right away then that price was too low... you want the price to be at a point that they sell but not too fast...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Amos1974 For This Useful Post:

rufretic (04-16-2018)

Thanks
    when I paid 45k for my first Banana every one was telling me the same thing that "high end snakes don't sell they only get traded" that was totally wrong!!! I have done great with that banana made my money back x4 at least... same with the $10,000 GHI, $20,000 Bamboo, $50,000 Scaleless Head... all were great investments!
    Last edited by Amos1974; 04-16-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast