Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,901

1 members and 2,900 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: The $30k ball python morph is back!

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    Why is Sunset considered so valuable? I haven't done any research on this morph, so apologies if it's an obvious answer, but all the Sunset examples I've seen are just so... drab. Scaleless snakes are at least intriguing in the way a hairless cat is intriguing, but not for $30,000
    it's a recessive gene (rare/harder to get visual babies), and it's the color. the fading of orange into a deep red up the sides?? incredible! i think it's amazing. seeing one in person is nuts; i saw some at NARBC and photos do not do their color any justice.

of course, this is just my opinion.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 04-13-2018 at 10:59 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    it's a recessive gene (rare/harder to get visual babies), and it's the color. the fading of orange into a deep red up the sides?? incredible! i think it's amazing. seeing one in person is nuts; i saw some at NARBC and photos do not do their color any justice.

of course, this is just my opinion.
    Yeah, should've figured it was recessive. I saw a few at Tinley, too, just not my cup of tea.

Sent from my Vivo X using Tapatalk
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks

Yeah, should've figured it was recessive. I saw a few at Tinley, too, just not my cup of tea.

you were at Tinley?? we could have taken selfies together with Justin and made the whole forum jealous!!!
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 04-13-2018 at 11:13 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

you were at Tinley?? we could have taken selfies together with Justin and made the whole forum jealous!!!
    Lol, I'm new to snakes so it was my first time going and it was amazing. Definitely going every time from now on! Do you do the VIP pass? That's what we did because we have kids, and that was a good choice. I couldn't believe how crowded it got.

BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks

Lol, I'm new to snakes so it was my first time going and it was amazing. Definitely going every time from now on! Do you do the VIP pass? That's what we did because we have kids, and that was a good choice. I couldn't believe how crowded it got.

i apologize for the digression of the thread:

no i don't do the VIP, but if i had kids there's no way i wouldn't; it gets INSANE in there. when i went back in March i actually had a small anxiety attack due to the masses of people. that one back corner opposite of the entrance is legit scary.

are you going to go in October? that's when you see the high-dollar babies. we can take selfies with Justin then, hahahaha.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 04-13-2018 at 11:22 PM.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Why is Sunset considered so valuable?

Snake prices are weird. They are essentially pulled out of thin air since the market is so fragmented. I guess they figure better to start too high than too low, but maybe got carried away.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    Snake prices are weird. They are essentially pulled out of thin air since the market is so fragmented. I guess they figure better to start too high than too low, but maybe got carried away.
    that's just not true; it's supply and demand, as well as the cost of business. someone paid 7.5k each for the first pair of captive bred albinos in the 90s before any industry "boom"; with inflation that's at least 15k EACH for a new recessive today, let alone accounting for the big breeders who ARE willing and able to drop that kind of $krilla PLUS on a possible new morph, without even considering the demand for that animal/gene.

there's also the cost of that gamble on the breeder's part to prove out genes.

the price comes from what people are willing to pay. don't be so naive.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 04-14-2018 at 12:23 AM. Reason: grammar
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

that's just not true; it's supply and demand, as well as the cost of business. someone paid 7.5k each for the first pair of captive bred albinos in the 90s before any industry "boom;" with inflation that's at least 15k for a new in-demand recessive today, let alone accounting for the big breeders who ARE willing and able to drop that kind of $krilla PLUS on a possible new morph.

there's also the cost of that gamble on the breeder's part for others to own these animals.

the price comes from what people are willing to pay. don't be so naive.

Sorry, but a handful of breeders colluding to artificially manipulate the price of a morph is not really supply and demand like you are thinking. They just made it up hoping the win the snake lottery, but no one is going to drop that kind of "$krilla," especially the big breeders. They trade with each other, very rarely deal with large amounts of cash.

Extrapolating prices for a new morph today based on what 2 snakes originally sold for decades ago also doesn't work.

Thanks
    It's simple, they are expensive because they are rare... and rare because they are expensive. Lol

Only a handful of people breed them and can afford them, and they don't want to be the first guy to sell the babies for less than the parents cost them. Therefore, they will never become common or affordable untill someone simply gets sick of taking care of all those babies and lowers the price.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (04-14-2018),tttaylorrr (04-14-2018)

Thanks

Extrapolating prices for a new morph today based on what 2 snakes originally sold for decades ago also doesn't work.
    why not?

Sorry, but a handful of breeders colluding to artificially manipulate the price of a morph is not really supply and demand like you are thinking. They just made it up hoping the win the snake lottery, but no one is going to drop that kind of "$krilla," especially the big breeders. They trade with each other, very rarely deal with large amounts of cash.
    you're trying to say that breeders were manipulating prices of a market before any type of market was even established? you don't think breeders negotiated with the importers on the best price? i have to disagree. importers (well, exporters) set the OG price, not breeders; new morphs aren't just pulled out of thin air.

also, non-big breeders have been buying up het Scaleless like crazy these days; supply and demand!

the albino was the first beep morph - recessive - and a pair sold for ~30K in today's US dollar worth. why is that not a relevant note, especially with Scaleless being the new big deal? someone had to decide those Albinos were worth the $krilla, and put their money where their mouth is. same is true today with new genes: yes breeders usually trade within, but that does not diminish the risk on the investment, nor the cost of raising animals, OR the other breeders who spend their fortune on them. people buy these animals. at that price or p darn close. that's a fact.

would you drop 7k on a new gene imported from Africa from some nobody breeder?? would you trust the price of $100 from them? that's why new morphs stay within reputable and big breeder circles.

breeders rarely choose a realistic price point on these new/rare morphs, and often overprice them specifically to stop tire-kickers and work towards something realistic, but you can't tell me the actual sale price isn't close to what the breeder offers.

people pay those prices, or at least something close. that's just how it is.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 04-14-2018 at 01:03 AM.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast