Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,115

0 members and 3,115 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: BTS Quandry

Thanks

BTS Quandry

How in the world does a 1-quart lizard manage to pee out a gallon of fluid?!? Is it actually urine, or do they hold water and dump that as a defense mechanism? I don’t notice any smell from the towel I mop up with, even a day or two later, nor do the dogs pay much attention to it.

As I’ve mentioned, now that my son is gone 6 days a week driving a semi, I take care of Nyar, his BTS. He had a really bad shed when I first took over, as I wasn’t properly clued in on what a BTS in shed looks like, so the last couple sheds I’ve been pestering Nyar to make sure his snoot, tail-tip, and ridiculous little feetsies shed cleanly. Hence his attempts to drench me.

Last week I had a brief panic that Nyar had some horrible eye condition, then realized I caught him just at the right point in his shed cycle, and I was seeing his eye caps/eyelid shed/whatever. They popped right off and I got the skinky glare.

We also added a not-too-smooth slate floor tile to give him some extra friction for his feet, which I think helped there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Do you have a Northern or Indonesian BTS?

Mine pees a lot too. Normal, odorless, and urite comes out at the same time. Cocofiber does a great job soaking that pee up to help with cleaning. A nervous BTS will defecate/pee if they don't want to be handled.

However, once the skink did his business, you can take him out and he should not go potty again. They usually will go once a day so you don't have to worry about it after he had done it.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 04-11-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: BTS Quandry

If fed and hydrated properly, BTS pee and poo pretty regularly.

Not clear whether he's releasing the fluid on you, or while he's out, or just in his tank.

They can pee a bit, and I imagine as a defense mechanism as well. However, Frank, who I've had over a year and is a little over 2 years, has never done that. He's pretty chill and would rather hiss, evil eye, or even drool a little, when agitated with me .

They can get kinda pissy (no pun intended ) when shedding, but in general show displeasure as a bluff. Frank will tell me not to pick him up, and then totally chill as soon as I do. He loves Katie and will sit on her lap for a while.

If you can clarify when this is happening, that might help. Also age and type of BTS could help too. Frank is a Northern BTS.

He might just need to get used to being handled a little more.

Not much around about BTS, but I have done a ton of research on care and husbandry. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

A defensive/annoyed behavior when he thinks I’ve been messing with him too long. IIRC he’s a northern, a couple-three years old. He’s better for my son, who raised him, than me. He does do his business regularly in his enclosure.

He’s actually pretty good, he’ll hiss and gape at me, but only pees after a while. He did bite me once, but I pretty much had my hand in his mouth when it happened. Not much damage, but he’s got some jaw strength!

I think Nyar and I have shed-care figured out; it went pretty well this time, and I correctly noted he was looking dark/dull beforehand. When the boy was home last weekend he concurred that Nyar was looking good.

He’s on kraft paper at the moment, as when we realized the shed issues we were afraid he had scale rot, and wanted to keep his feet clean and dry, and not get substrate stuck to neopsporin. Its probably time to switch him back to aspen, coco, or something like that. He was on aspen in the past, debating what to go with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks

I recall when mine was young, he would pee on me if I held him too long. It's a defense mechanism. I just made sure to keep holding him so he wouldn't associate peeing on me with getting to go back to his cage. He still doesn't like being held, but he doesn't pee on me anymore at least.

As for shedding, they do just look dull prior to a shed. Important to make sure the humidity is high enough so they don't get shed stuck on their toes. It's not uncommon for them to lose toes due to stuck shed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

BTS are pretty smart and know the difference between people (those they know well anyway). Frank seems to give me more attitude than Katie . However, he hasn't peed on either of us.

I would limit the time of the handling sessions but increase them. Let him get used to you. He will learn to recognize you and associate you with food and not being a threat.

They are pretty cool animals.

Good luck!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    For Northern and arid species, their requirement for humidity is not as high as an Indo. I would stay with aspen if it works well for you. Add a humid hide next time for shedding and move a large water bowl closer to its basking spot. You can make a humid hide using a large plastic container filled with wet (not dripping) moss or papertowels.