Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,901

1 members and 2,900 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Re: Reptile Prime, now with free shipping

I will stick with pure coconut substrate at a cheaper price, and no shipping.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (04-10-2018)

Thanks
    8 bucks for coco from the hydro store. All of these rebranded crap is just a waste. Reptile Prime is too expensive and will remain that way until its in all retail chains. Reptichip is cleaned up rebranded stuff. If you just have to have the best looking and cleanest coco chips than you want Hydro Farm Coco Croutons. Its literally the best chips on the market. I get them from the Hydro Store, in bags so no soaking and pricewise its cheaper than reptichip and reptile prime. Shop around people.
    "Passion Breeds Quality, Quality Breeds Desire" - Tim

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ElliotNess For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-10-2018),PokeyTheNinja (04-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avsha531 View Post
    When you follow the link tttaylorrr shared, it's actually $15.99 with free shipping��
    That is not the same stuff. That is the finer stuff. The medium grade stuff is the 20.99 one.

You can tell the difference not only by the look of the substrate but also by the color and pic on the bag. The fine ground stuff like Eco Earth is the yellow bag with Brian holding the BTS. The fluffy airy stuff is the green bag with Brian holding the burm.

He didnt have the fine stuff when i ordered my stuff. It said coming soon but the Cat Spot litter company which is the phone number listed as the contact for the company did and it was $15.99.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 04-10-2018 at 10:43 AM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (04-10-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    That is not the same stuff. That is the finer stuff. The medium grade stuff is the 20.99 one.

You can tell the difference not only by the look of the substrate but also by the color and pic on the bag. The fine ground stuff like Eco Earth is the yellow bag with Brian holding the BTS. The fluffy airy stuff is the green bag with Brian holding the burm.

He didnt have the fine stuff when i ordered my stuff. It said coming soon but the Cat Spot litter company which is the phone number listed as the contact for the company did and it was $15.99.
    Ah I did not realize that. Thanks Sauzo

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Avsha531 For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (04-10-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotNess View Post
    8 bucks for coco from the hydro store. All of these rebranded crap is just a waste. Reptile Prime is too expensive and will remain that way until its in all retail chains. Reptichip is cleaned up rebranded stuff. If you just have to have the best looking and cleanest coco chips than you want Hydro Farm Coco Croutons. Its literally the best chips on the market. I get them from the Hydro Store, in bags so no soaking and pricewise its cheaper than reptichip and reptile prime. Shop around people.
    If you are talking about that GrowIT stuff, there is a difference between that and ReptiChips. i have used both and the Reptichips is much more cleaned up. There isnt all the long coco fiber strands balled up and the pieces are more uniform in size. I personally dont mind spending a little more for a quality substrate. Like for example, i know people say you can buy the No Float cypress blend from Lowes and it works but i prefer the Zoo Med Forest Floor. Is it more, of course. Is it worth it to me. Yes.

The problem i see with the Reptile Prime other than Brian thinking everyone is an idiot and cant figure out for themselves about the price hike to cover a so called 'free shipping', is that the stuff isnt that great for large constrictors and for me, doesnt really hold humidity that well compared to cheaper stuff like Zoo Med cypress or ReptiChips. The stuff isnt bad, just doesnt work for me and my set ups. But again, the biggest gripe is the whole BS free shipping scam lol.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (04-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I say to each their own

As long as its available, I will never use anything else. For many reasons, that have already been discussed ad nauseum.

However, everyone should use what works for them, nothing wrong with that, and good thing we have so many choices
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (04-12-2018),Sonny1318 (04-10-2018),Sunnieskys (04-10-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    I say to each their own

As long as its available, I will never use anything else. For many reasons, that have already been discussed ad nauseum.

However, everyone should use what works for them, nothing wrong with that, and good thing we have so many choices
    You need to send him a message asking why he lists it as 'free shipping' but bumped the price up by $5 per bag which is the exact price shipping used to be. Not really free shipping in that case. Sorry, that part kind of miffs me. If i was planning to use the stuff after I'm done with this bag, i would definitely ask him what's up with that lol.

But you're right, each to their own. I'll stick to destroying our earths natural cypress resources

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (04-10-2018),Reinz (04-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    If you don't like it because you are frugal, that's fine and you are under no obligation to use this but don't knock it just because you are cheap. I can't understand people that will spend thousands on pets then harp over a few bucks for supplies. They have a right to adjust prices to better simplify selling it. I see nothing wrong with it because it is still what you paid before just more upfront now. BTW there is no added tax at checkout so what you see is what you pay which is so much easier. I just ordered some new fine bedding and it was $15.99 out the door which is fine by me. The $20.99 for the original bedding is also fine because that is what you used to pay with shipping. There is no bait and switch here people.

And before you think anything, I have used every commercial reptile bedding there is and this is still the best and easiest to use. Zilla, prococo, and zoomed for example don't compare to this. That coco coir crud you get from a garden supply store or feed store, I hate it for anything other than my plants.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (04-10-2018),zina10 (04-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    i just bought two bags. i'll let you guys know what i think in the other review thread!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (04-10-2018),zina10 (04-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    The pricing schematics don't bother me.

Whenever you have a product/company that is not really mainstream yet, you cannot expect them to completely eat the cost of the shipping. It DOES cost them as well. They may not have the same shipping discounts that the huge companies that ship high volume.

As a product becomes more widely available, more options should come. Buying at stores, expos, volume shipping discounts. This is still relatively new on the market.

For ME and MY animals, nothing else has come even close. And like SDA I probably tried just about everything out there. This has made husbandry so much easier. This has eradicated any nasty smells or animals laying in their pee or waste. This makes cleaning and keeping my animals in a clean environment a snap.
    I paid more upfront but actually, I'm using SO MUCH LESS that the price isn't a factor anymore. And I'm about the most OCD person there is when it comes to keeping the enclosures clean. I simply haven't had to change out an entire enclosure. There is just no need. Spot cleaning is easy and since the mess stays so contained in a small area, the animals don't lay in it, they don't drag it around through the clean areas. The smell is always nice now.

So no, price is not a problem for me, I used far more of all the other stubstrates and still couldn't keep the enclosures as spotless as now. Humidity control is a snap with a 1 gallon sprayer. Storage is easy. Product is ready to use out of the bag. Low dust. It simply works. I'm big on that, I want a product to perform! I'm willing to pay for that. I finally used up ONE bag. Since I bought 4 bags when it was $14 shipped on the amazon deal, I will have substrate forever (still have 3 bags from before then). That stuff simply lasts.

All that said (again and again, lol) I can see that for other people, for their setups, for their animals, for their pocket books, for their personal preference it may simply not work. There is a easy solution for that. Buy something else that does. Lots to choose from !!

I like to point out Reptile Prime to people that are looking for more/new options, because its a great one, but I sure won't push it on no one. I don't get a kickback, it makes no difference to me what others use or like.

But if I can help someone find something that may work for them as awesome as it does for me, well, that is what we are here for. To help, to give suggestions, etc
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-10-2018),BR8080 (04-12-2018)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast