Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,497

4 members and 3,493 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Yeah, like i said, i would just let the snake settle in. If for some reason, the snake has an RI, one week is not going to kill it. You just got it. So the snake went from the breeder to the show to you. That is a lot of stress. And then you throw in a vet visit with a culture and exam and stuff.

Ask Jacob aka JMcrook. He was like me and stressed all the time thinking Phyllis had an RI. We both asked the retic FBs pages and everything and what we both learned was retics are noisy breathers. Also what you will learn is they are determined, smart, some love to push and turn their face to hamburger, piss a lot, poop a lot, and eat a lot lol.

Now dont get me confused. If the snake is wheezing, blowing bubbles and open mouth when sitting on the cage floor, you have problems. But retics will be noisy if you are holding them and they are busy. Caesar gets pretty loud sometimes when he is going hard and we are basically wrestling with me trying to stop him and him being determined and wanting to go somewhere.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 04-09-2018 at 09:21 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (04-09-2018)

Thanks
    Oh and forgot to add, if you are really worried, you can open her mouth using the stick part of a Q-Tip and peek in there. If you see lots of bubbles and sticky mucous buildup, then you probably got problems.

Thanks
    Sauzo also mentioned weaseing.... when that happens look for stuck shed in a nostrils, I have had this issue twice, first time was wheezing (trying to get it free)... second was a nose whistle.....
    Ball
    1.0 Enchi Lesser Killer Bee
    0.1 Killer King Clown
    0.1 Mystic Potion

Retic
    1.0 Purple Phase Albino

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: New retic new r.i possibly HELP

Sauzo here is a picture so you can draw on it to give an explanation OP might understand. Make arrows at places that can be problematic with RI.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Maybe i am missing something but that retic looks fine to me. Retics can make clicking noises for various reasons like stuck shed in the nostril. Retics also are pretty vocal snakes when it comes to breathing. I was used to boas which even big boas can make noise when they breath, exhale or are picked up. But when i got Caesar, i was worried many times that he might have gotten an RI but he didnt.

I personally would just keep the hot spot at 90F and ambients at around 80-82F as well as keep correct humidity and watch the snake. See if you notice heavy breathing, mouth opening, clicking and stuff when she is just sitting there, then you can worry. But all my snakes when they yawn, have a moist mouth. Not dripping wet but also not bone dry like a desert. And they have been like that for years. I have never had to deal with an RI in a snake but my big BCI girl did get a sinus infection and trust me, you WILL know when they get a problem like that. There will clearly be audible breathing and noises when they are just sitting there. I ended up having to have a sample of the liquid taken and ended up giving her a Fortaz shot every 3 days for a month. Not fun and she is a 7 foot snake. I would hate to give shots to a little skinny snake.

But anyways, you can go to vet, I'm not saying not to but if i were you, i would wait and let the snake settle in a little bit and watch it for a week or two.
    I remember discussing the little clicking sound young retics sometimes make with Sauzo. My fella would do it after a swim and occasionally during handling.

The mouth on your snake here looks beautiful, with good color, clear and minimal saliva so I'm not visually detecting anything by those pictures.

I would like to see a few more photos of the neck bulge.

Keep an eye on things and good luck.

Beautiful snake BTW.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-02-2018),Sauzo (04-10-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Sauzo here is a picture so you can draw on it to give an explanation OP might understand. Make arrows at places that can be problematic with RI.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk
    No idea how to draw stuff on pics but you will see sticky mucous and bubbles under the glottis(i think thats what its called, the windpipe), and you will see bubbles on the top in the area where the tongue goes into the Jacobsons organ. It would pretty clear to see. Like i said, havent had to deal with it on any of my snakes but my beardie seems kind of prone to RIs. I've had her in 2 times to the vet and let me tell you, it gets expensive when you have cultures and blood work done. Blood work was for the first visit as i wanted to get her counts for everything as she has never seen a vet. Second time was just the culture but it still isnt cheap. She has cost about double her cost in vet bills but she is my little chubby girl and such a sweetie.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-02-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well snake went to the vet today... they don’t think it’s an ri said the excess saliva may be from being stressed out but gave me antibiotics injections and just said to watch her close.... BUT the piece of mind knowing my animal is ok and healthy is worth any price

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chads300 View Post
    Well snake went to the vet today... they don’t think it’s an ri said the excess saliva may be from being stressed out but gave me antibiotics injections and just said to watch her close.... BUT the piece of mind knowing my animal is ok and healthy is worth any price
    Well just so you know, antibiotics can put a snake off for food. When i had to give Rosey her Fortaz shots, she actually quit eating for the month(well she refused 1 meal as she is fed every month) and for the next 2 poops, they were runny and smelled like death. Took her a couple months to perk back up. Antibiotics are generally really harsh for reptiles. When i took Harley to the vet for the 3rd time, the vet checked her and said her mouth actually looked normal but maybe was a bit moist but she didnt want to prescribe any antibiotics unless it is was absolutely necessary for the reason i stated above. Turned out Harley was fine.

And Rosey NEVER refused a meal in over 5 years that i've owned her. So the antibiotics must have really made her feel like poop.

Good to know though that she doesnt have an RI. Told you i doubted it was an RI
    Last edited by Sauzo; 04-10-2018 at 06:23 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-02-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Nerves just went back up lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chads300 View Post
    Nerves just went back up lol
    Lol should be fine. I'm assuming the vet showed you how to give snake shots? Also what antibiotics did the vet give you? Please tell me he/she didnt prescribe Baytril shots lol. That seems to be a pretty common one as it is a broad spectrum antibiotic and it doesnt sound like the vet did a culture.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-02-2018)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast