Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 847

3 members and 844 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Question Pac Man- Still no name but have a couple questions...

So as you all know I got my first frog at Repticon this past Saturday, but here I'm looking for some insight on their behavior. I noticed that he currently is just doing his thing burrowed in and not moving (yes i know very typical of them lol) but do they really change color, when I got him he was more strawberry then pineapple, but now looking at him hes got the green stripe down his back and dulled out with a very pale pinkish. Stress I imagine, but I tossed a cricket in the other day and he took it...there's now two in there and nothing from him. After reading Debs post about every day then to every other day feeding I'm curious as to truly how often I should offer crickets....or any general info I could get from some people that have had them before. Thanks again

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Feeding will depend on size, growing frogs you can feed 5 times a week, adults you can feed once or twice a week and even skip a week depending on the quantity offered in one meal.

For example if I feed an adult dubias I will offer one twice a week if I offer a mouse (on occasion just as a treat) I will feed one and skip the next week when it comes to feeding.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Aerries (04-09-2018)

Thanks

Re: Pac Man- Still no name but have a couple questions...

This little guy is barely the size of a silver dollar. lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I've heard that you can't let them dry out because they breathe through their skin to some degree. The substrate must be pretty wet but not standing water, are you sure you have it wet enough?

I've been really looking into getting a few Pacman frogs, I'm wondering if you could put them in a hatchling rack with no belly heat? Seems like if you had clear tubs it would be about perfect for them. My next rack will be an ARS-1075, you could hold up to 75 hatchlings or frogs in that rack! And changing out the substrate would be simple. I keep my reptile room at 81F, apparently that's a good temp for Pacman frogs.

http://arscaging.com/ars1075.html
    Last edited by cchardwick; 04-10-2018 at 12:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    All amphibians breath through their skin to an extent. He might be dull and not hungry because he is getting ready to shed. Amphibians shed too and will eat their shed just like a lot of lizards.

Also i wouldnt keep the whole cage in water. They piss in the water and if they sit in it and absorbs it through their skin, they are basically drinking piss unless you have some sort of filtration. I would just offer a nice size water bowl that is deep enough up to their shoulders and just the dirt nice and moist. I used organic planting soil. Not stuff like Miracle Grow or anything with a fertilizer in it. You can make it nice and deep and then sink some real plants in pots into the soil. That way when you need to change the cage soil, you can just lift the plants out in the pots.

And Jabba frogs are awesome. One of mine used to croak when you would pet his back haha. it was a hilarious croak. Sounds like 'unk unk unk" when he croaked haha. And be careful with your fingers. One of my bigs ones latched onto my finger and they are like little pitbulls. Once they latch on they dont let go. They just go 'unk unk unk' and swell themselves up haha. I had to use a chopstick to pry his mouth open enough to get my finger out and then i had to pick teeth out. Little monster was all pissed off lol.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 04-10-2018 at 02:54 AM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-10-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For water and as far as substrate you need to use very damp (water dripping out of it) coco coir.

Do not let your frog dry and do not provide a water dish, they will pop in it and then just sit in it and since they absorb everything through their skin it will end up poisoning himself (I know a few people that have made that mistake)
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Pac Man- Still no name but have a couple questions...

Thought this posted but didn’t here’s another pic of the little guy. I’m thinking Jabba for a name lol yes I just stole that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

zina10 (04-15-2018)