Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,642

1 members and 1,641 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Account Disabled
    Thanks

Wedges for Tanks

Hi,

For anyone with a tank with glass sliding doors, usually 2 issues that may occur are the glass shakes/rattles and makes a noise. Or if you use an aftermarket lock, usually with the lock in place you can still slide the tank doors a quarter of an inch or so.
    They have these wedges, usually called Vivarium Wedges, you can look them up on Google and they work great at preventing the 2 issues. But it seems like they are only common in the UK, on eBay they charge a fortune to ship.

Wondering if anyone has seen them in North America anywhere. Or maybe you've used something else instead that worked the same.

Thanks

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Wedges for Tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
    Hi,

For anyone with a tank with glass sliding doors, usually 2 issues that may occur are the glass shakes/rattles and makes a noise. Or if you use an aftermarket lock, usually with the lock in place you can still slide the tank doors a quarter of an inch or so.
    They have these wedges, usually called Vivarium Wedges, you can look them up on Google and they work great at preventing the 2 issues. But it seems like they are only common in the UK, on eBay they charge a fortune to ship.

Wondering if anyone has seen them in North America anywhere. Or maybe you've used something else instead that worked the same.

Thanks
    I havent seen them but what your talking about not only drives me crazy when i walk by and they rattle but my young snake gets herself wedged in between the glass slider on the Right side (outer track) and the bottom & side lip. She actually got blood blisters and ripped a couple scales off.
    As far as the noise I used a furniture leg pad. The cloth ones that have a sticky back. They work great, not a sound and keeps the glass tight. As far as the space a small snake can get their head and neck down into i cut out a piece of 1/2" insolation board in the shape of a Backwards letter C. It runs along the bottom and up the side and over the top. Problem solved. Have used both of these for a year without problems. Here is a pic and you can see both. I cut the furniture pads in half and use a them on each enclose door.

iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Wedges for Tanks

You can wedge a transparent plastic ruler in the gap as well - they can even be cut to length ... they have three uses as they wedge the glass door in place , stop any rattling AND best of all it keeps any tiny snakes from squeezing out between the glass panels ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Sounds like the best option would be window felt to snug up the glass in the tract while still allowing it to slide smoothly. These are often sold in automotive stores as well with rubber backing and adhesive strips. You cut them to fit with the felt or mohair lining facing the glass.

Googling window channel or mohair liner should give good options. AP really needs to offer this as default to fix this.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-09-2018),Craiga 01453 (04-09-2018)