Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,546

3 members and 1,543 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Easy To Do Cage Improvements.

I've done this from day one, but really liked seeing somebody explain some of the benefits in a video. If you are on the fence, or thinking about changing things up, take a look at the video below and decide if you are interested.

Even our royal python uses the extra space the perches provide.

Have a look at the video if you've not seen it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM8-BtQT2jE

This guy has a really good channel.

I admittedly have made SEVERAL posts that are similar to this one and after watching the video, I wanted to add another.

I enjoy seeing other keeper's setups, and I also enjoy passing on ideas that may motivate some folks to try something they maybe didn't think would work in their setups.

I don't have shelves, which are a very nice option too, but found perches very easy to install and remove from the cages here. Top cage is the royal, middle cage is the coastal carpet, and bottom is the boa constrictor.

I use either 3 or 4 perches and space them close enough to allow for body support, but far enough apart to let the animals go in between the perches.

The largest cage here is for the SD X Dwarf retic, (below in green) does have a center support. I know many here use AP caging. I do not, but still had to overcome what I thought might be a problem. As it turned out, sneaking the perches in at an angle was not difficult. I am able to easily place and remove the perches. AP cages with sliders will easily accept perches. Shelving is handy and is actually a permanent part of the cage, so there really is no issue going the shelf route. Both options give your animals something more to do.

If you are attempting something more natural looking, you can use real branches, or combine real and homemade items or use a shelf plus some perching posts in front of it.

I have added, changed and spruced things up over the years. Check out the coastal carpet python perched and blending in (middle cage).

The display qualities improve with perches and shelves, IF you have an animal that will use the space.

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the royal perching, but she does use the perches.

We all love our reptiles here! If you happen to be bored, motivated, or in need of a change, consider adding something to your cages. It is easy, fun and ever changing. I think I'm set as far as placement and decor, but I've redone things over the years and find habitat building is a very enjoyable part of the hobby.

Easy to use heavy duty items for securing perches.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...5442/202034088

I've seen "Sky Hides" that mount to the ceilings of cages that offer some "untapped" space usage and I'm sure there are other ideas.

If you have some interesting ideas or photos, please add them here.
    Last edited by Gio; 04-08-2018 at 01:29 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-09-2018),Hamsnacks (04-08-2018),jmcrook (04-08-2018),Prognathodon (04-08-2018),Starscream (04-08-2018)