Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 528

0 members and 528 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus

Thread: ASF Questions

Account Disabled
    Thanks

ASF Questions

Had a few ASF questions, I ended up with 2 live rats that should have been eaten last night. I don't think they're going to be eaten now for another 2 weeks. Just had some care questions.

1) This one is kinda stupid to ask, but maybe someone has tried it before lol. I have a Hamster in a nice very large cage, everything is set, lots of hides, toys, the full package. Would I be putting the hamster or rats in danger if I put them all in 1 cage? I know it sounds stupid but figured I'd ask. I have read some rodents do fine together if they aren't aggressive.

2) In regards to food, can they eat hamster food, which consists of nuts, berries and veggies, or do they also require more meat/protein on top of that?

3) Cage wise, the bars are about half an inch apart, is that too big, they are full grown ASF. If that doesn't work, I have a glass tank, but just smaller in size.

Didn't want to keep them in a box the whole time, figured I'd care for them a bit, especially since they are very calm and can be held/pet. I have them up for sale, hoping someone buys them as a pet instead. I ended up with them kinda unexpected.

Thanks

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: ASF Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
    Had a few ASF questions, I ended up with 2 live rats that should have been eaten last night. I don't think they're going to be eaten now for another 2 weeks. Just had some care questions.

1) This one is kinda stupid to ask, but maybe someone has tried it before lol. I have a Hamster in a nice very large cage, everything is set, lots of hides, toys, the full package. Would I be putting the hamster or rats in danger if I put them all in 1 cage? I know it sounds stupid but figured I'd ask. I have read some rodents do fine together if they aren't aggressive.

2) In regards to food, can they eat hamster food, which consists of nuts, berries and veggies, or do they also require more meat/protein on top of that?

3) Cage wise, the bars are about half an inch apart, is that too big, they are full grown ASF. If that doesn't work, I have a glass tank, but just smaller in size.

Didn't want to keep them in a box the whole time, figured I'd care for them a bit, especially since they are very calm and can be held/pet. I have them up for sale, hoping someone buys them as a pet instead. I ended up with them kinda unexpected.

Thanks
    They will chew through that box in no time at all. Get them into the glass tank they cannot be with any other rodent. Not only will it kill each other but you have no clue what kind of bacteria or sickness that ASF could have and give to your Pet.
    If you have any dog food that does not have coloring to it just plain brown dog food they can eat that & probably would last two weeks with another kind of food also. don't use anything plastic as far as water bottles they will chew threw and have a mess.

iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

dr del (04-08-2018),Hamsnacks (04-08-2018),Reinz (04-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    When I used to feed live and get stuck housing a rat or two, I just fed them whatever I have on hand.

I’d give them dog food kibbles, crackers, apple, hamster food.

The reason I was not picky about feed, is because I have seen what they would eat in my garage or even the house when they got in. (wild mice/rats)

One time, those rodents found my chocolate stash and ate a whole bag of Dove chocolate and Three Musketeers!
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-08-2018),Hamsnacks (04-08-2018)

Thanks

What a waste of Dove Chocolate

iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Hamsnacks (04-08-2018),Reinz (04-08-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Damn lol this whole time I thought they were sweet little guys. You guys described monsters haha.

But good call on the bacteria/sickness, that didn't even cross my mind.

I'll stick to the food I have and just keep doing water bowl changes, I was going to throw in a bottle but you changed my mind.

Once again, like usual thanks for the help Calm Pythons and Reinz

Thanks

Sweet is far from what they are, after a litter of pups they dont just Bite, they Strike and will go to the Bone!!

iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Wondering if you guys think the rats would be able to stay in this cage, it had a hamster in it, I want them to pick up the scent so I can switch my snake over.
    I know mice/rats are incredibly good at getting through the smallest openings, don't want them escaping. It's about a half an inch gap. Attached a few pictures as reference.

Thanks

Wondering if you guys think the rats would be able to stay in this cage, it had a hamster in it, I want them to pick up the scent so I can switch my snake over.
    I know mice/rats are incredibly good at getting through the smallest openings, don't want them escaping. It's about a half an inch gap. Attached a few pictures as reference.

These are ASF's they're not like mice or rats. Pups will get through that no problem whatsoever. The adults will be OK in there however they drop litters every 21 days. Like I told you all mine captain 40 gallon breeder tank's, snakes pick up the sent no matter what you have Rodents in. If you're breeding you either need a rack system or a glass tank for these.

iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

If you are just housing them for 2 weeks (until feeding them off) that should work, BUT watch the area where the plastic pan meets the metal bars, I've had rats chew through that and I'm pretty sure ASF are even more hard-core than rats when it comes to chewing.

Temperament depends on what your ASF were bred for. I know a few people keeping / breeding them that select for pet-type temperament and they have nice ASF, but most people that just breed for feeders have very bitey ASF.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

13. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Hamsnacks (04-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    These are ASF's they're not like mice or rats. Pups will get through that no problem whatsoever. The adults will be OK in there however they drop litters every 21 days. Like I told you all mine captain 40 gallon breeder tank's, snakes pick up the sent no matter what you have Rodents in. If you're breeding you either need a rack system or a glass tank for these.

iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry wrong reply.. I didnt look at what I was doing and was responding to someone asking me about breeding and asking me the same question in a PM's over and over hahaha.
    To answer your question yes that cage is fine

iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)