Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,891

0 members and 2,891 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Hard time switching to frozen, strange day time behavior

Quote Originally Posted by Danya View Post
    Going to make a quick edit on how things are going right now. Monty did decide to come back into his cave, so that's good. I had a lot of plans yesterday so I couldn't get a hopper, will be getting one in an hour or so. I bought a special hanging vine for him(which he absolutely loves), he sits on it like an Emerald Tree Boa or a Green Tree Python would, haha. He explores and climbs during the night and sleeps during the day(Behavior seems to be normal again). I've had bare minimum contact with him, just giving his enclosure a quick spray once a day and changing his water every other day. I did put a thin "blanket" over his cage which keeps it somewhat dark, and surprisingly keeps his humidity very well. Anyways that's it for now, will update after I offer him the hopper. Bye.
    If you haven't already bought it, I wouldn't buy a hopper. Hoppers are too small. Buy a small.adult mouse if you can.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Danya (04-14-2018)

Thanks

Welp, already bought it... He was fed hoppers at XYZ, so I figured. He's approx. 100-120 grams, the hopper is 11 grams(I asked the lady to weigh it), so he'll be eating about 10% of his own weight. I heard that a ball python should eat 10-15% of it's own weight in a week. Now that I think about it, he hasn't eaten in over 2 weeks, so maybe I should have gotten a larger mouse. I'll get a larger one next time. Thanks for your reply.
    I like noodles.

Thanks
    Great news everyone! My BP did eat the hopper mouse! As soon as I dropped the mouse into the tank, he lunged right at it. Ate it in about 4 minutes and went right back into his hide. This takes a ton of stress of my back! Thanks to everyone who wrote to me!
    I like noodles.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danya For This Useful Post:

dr del (04-15-2018),Sgt7212 (04-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Excellent !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Danya (04-14-2018)

Thanks
    Guys, I have a question. Since I successfully got my snake to eat a live hopper, should I try and switch to frozen the next time I feed him, or should I try to get another live mouse? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!
    I like noodles.

Thanks

Get him to eat live with you a couple times before trying to switch.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

Danya (04-15-2018),dr del (04-15-2018)

Thanks

So, maybe once more? My parents told me that they'd only take me once more to get a live mouse. I hate not having a car, haha. Do you think I should try and feed him a frozen mouse before I try and feed live, or should I just stick to live for now? Thanks fro your reply.
    I like noodles.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Congrats he ate!!! No worries on the small size of they hopper, its gonna do the trick. Just go bigger next time.

I would offer live again in 5-7 days. At least get him eating consistently before trying to switch him. I would say at least 3 more live feedings.

Are you able to get to the store to buy the prey without your parents? By that I mean is it within a distance you could walk or ride a bike?

If not, maybe show this thread to your parents? Often times people simply don't understand the importance of certain things because it's something they never needed to learn. For example, I've never planted a flower garden, so I have no clue if certain products are important to a flower garden. However, if my niece or nephew got into flower gardens and taught me the importance of a certain fertilizer I'd happily drive them to the moon to pick it up if it was important to them.

Anyway, I'm glad your feeding was successful. Keep up the good work!!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Danya (04-15-2018),dr del (04-15-2018)

Thanks

Thanks, yeah next time i'll get a small adult mouse. Three more live feedings seems almost impossible. The store's not for from me, approx. 10 miles. The problem is I have to drive down a long highway without any bicycle walks which seems very unsafe. I'll definitely get at least 1 more live feeding, but I'll try and work on another 2.
    I like noodles.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Danya For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-15-2018)

Thanks
    At this point this thread is just me updating on stuff and asking questions. I need to figure out how to rename it, Haha. Anyways, I have a few questions about tub setups. I have a large tub for my snake's future because I'll hopefully start keeping more snakes in a few years(once I figure out how a BP works) and I'll probably keep all of them in tubs. When my snake grows up, I want to have all the knowledge on how tubs work so I'm going to ask some questions now. I was wondering if it is safe to use a ZooMed UTH on a tub because there's always a chance that the thermostat will break and the plastic will melt. Is there any way to totally prevent that or at least really lower the chances of that happening? I was also wondering if a tub can be too high for a BP because my tub is quite large in that aspect. Those are my only questions for now, all answers are greatly appreciated! :-)
    I like noodles.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast