Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,113

1 members and 3,112 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Yearling Retic feeding question/problem

Your hot side is 90 what about your cool side?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks

She's in a tub as of now so I haven't measured her cool side honestly. Either way I figured her out she is pounding f/t small rats every 5 days now like clock work. She was in shed when I was having problems and didn't realize it. Also, seems she eats better about an hour after the lights go out. She's a lavender albino so its hard to tell when she starts to dull.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smvmarine View Post
    She's in a tub as of now so I haven't measured her cool side honestly. Either way I figured her out she is pounding f/t small rats every 5 days now like clock work. She was in shed when I was having problems and didn't realize it. Also, seems she eats better about an hour after the lights go out. She's a lavender albino so its hard to tell when she starts to dull.
    Ok... I keep mine 87-90 hot side an 74-78 cool at 70% humidity tubs or cage..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks

I have one about the same age that I was having trouble with too. I was trying 4-5 days on the feeding schedule and he would strike sometimes and wrap then just leave it. I went the live route and had some success, but not what I want in the long run. Recently I've tried going longer between feedings, 6-9 days. So far it seems that somewhere between 7-8 days is the sweet spot for him. At 7 days he goes after a F/T pretty good but at 8 days he is after it as soon as the door opens. I've tried moving back to 5 days and I get the same uninterested reaction. So I'm pretty much going to go with the 7-8 days for now. I don't want to starve him but I also don't want to waste food either. Everything else seems good, he's active at night, just had a complete shed and he is still a joy to handle out of the cage. Although I will be offering up a variety come lately.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

The only way i can tell when Caesar is going into shed is when he turns kind of a dull orange instead of a bright yellow as he is a white albino tiger. Heck the only way i can tell when Pat is in shed is when his blacks get dull.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

I found this thread interesting. I can't see Rainbow being a picky eater or missing a meal ever. I honestly think she would eat herself to death. Don't worry I regulate her but 6 days of not eating is a long time to her. By then she is destroying her enclosure looking for food.

Seeing picky retic is interesting but not to hard to believe. they are all different with different personalities and desires.

Thanks

Ok, I know this has been covered extensively here but here it goes. Got a young female retic (born Jan. 18’)
    that has been eating weekly but it’s been a struggle. The problem........I have been feeding her F/T rat pups and she takes them with a really great feeding response. When she takes them she coils them as normal, but won’t eat them. I have left them overnight several times and they are still laying there in the morning. After about 2-3 days of trying she usually eats one. I’m wondering if I should try her back on live or be persistent with the f/t. My other retic and burm are both on f/t and have absolutely zero issues with them. This is my first this young, so wondering if she just hasn’t got goin yet or what. Also, u try to feed her every 5-6 days.

She she is kept in a 40qt tub (waiting on AP cages) with a hide.
    90 degree hot spot verified with IR temp gun
    60-70% humidity.

My Ball python did that. She came to me as a hatchling, breeder said he'd fed live, but first time I fed her I offered f/t and she nailed it right away. She ate f/t for about 4 months and then abruptly started refusing them. She'd grab them right away, coil, and leave. I tried everything, including letting her get good and hungry... no go. She would take fresh killed, but not f/t. In the end, after she'd gone hungry for over a month (she was pacing the bin etc., and seemed very interested but just wouldn't eat them) I caved and started feeding live. After about 5 live feedings, I offered her a f/t one day (just for kicks) and she took it. She's now had several f/t feedings and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck on your retic.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I found this thread interesting. I can't see Rainbow being a picky eater or missing a meal ever. I honestly think she would eat herself to death. Don't worry I regulate her but 6 days of not eating is a long time to her. By then she is destroying her enclosure looking for food.

Seeing picky retic is interesting but not to hard to believe. they are all different with different personalities and desires.
    Lol none of my snakes are picky or turn down meals. The only one who has is my BP and Rosey once when she was on Fortaz. Caesar the retic, ate within 2 hours of me unpacking him out of the box. Heck even Pat the GTP is a garbage can. Last night he was so happy to see dinner, he started caudal luring it while i wiggled it in front of his face. Reminded me of a dog wagging it tail for a treat lol. Louie was so worked up, he struck the cage door 2 times after eating his rat. Took him about an hour to calm down and go out of feed mode. He is a psycho when dinner time comes.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12