Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,325

1 members and 3,324 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reptile Rapture

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Reptile Rapture

Hey gang, I've been busy training a new fire dispatcher so I haven't had a chance to post until now....yeah yeah I could from home but it's busy there as well....ANYWAY.....

I watch a lot of YouTube vlogs and enjoy the various breeders and interviews available. I visit family in Chicago a couple times a year and considered taking the 2 1/2 hour drive up to Madison, WI to visit Reptile Rapture. After visiting the "Chicago Reptile House" (more focus on fish then reptiles IMHO) and being completely disappointed, I was leery about driving so far to visit another shop. I called and asked if they were worth the trip and was given an honest answer...."People come from all over to visit us, it's entirely up to you." My girlfriend that completely supports my love for snake keeping encouraged me to reach out to Richard, the owner, through facebook and explain how excited we were to come up to see his shop and meet him. He was very receptive and plans were made...we also planned on visiting the capitol city and touring the capitol building as it's a 15 minute drive, might as well make the best of the drive if things didn't go as planned.

We arrived at the shop and decided to look around before descending on any of the employees. The animals are kept in clean enclosures with plenty of amenities to ensure their safety. I was very pleased to see this, as most of us have experienced at one time or another a shop will have animals on display with no regard for their privacy, it's all about the sale. His animals are obviously comfortable in their enclosures and used to human interaction, another positive.

I heard Richards voice and that is when my excitement level increased and my girlfriend coined my nickname for that day, Fanboy. I'm glad she got a kick out of it but yes, I was nervously excited to finally meet Richard, whom I've watched on YouTube for over a year. He was very welcoming and spent a tremendous amount of time with us. Showing us various snakes, lizards, and quite frankly made us feel at home. When we talked about black headed pythons, he asked if I wanted to hold one of his. I was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY at this point and my inner Christmas morning kid (you know the one, anxiously waiting to open the Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred Shot Range Model Air Rifle came out). WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SNAKE!!! I was in awe....I was FINALLY holding the snake I've been wanting but can't afford.

I didn't think this experience could get any better but it did when he asked if I wanted to see his collection in the breeding room. Back there we got to see his lizards, and handle a SD retic (another big deal for me and future addition). He also asked if I wanted to spend a day working with him and believe me I plan on doing so during my next visit to Chicago in the fall when I return for Tinley.

So if you're in the area and wonder if you should visit Reptile Rapture....DO IT!!! I can't say you'll have the same experience we did, but the shop itself was worth the drive.

Last edited by BR8080; 04-06-2018 at 03:12 AM.
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (05-05-2018),Alter-Echo (04-06-2018),DLena (04-09-2018),Godzilla78 (04-06-2018),Sauzo (04-06-2018),Sonny1318 (04-08-2018),the_rotten1 (04-08-2018),tttaylorrr (04-06-2018)

Thanks
    It's great that you had such a good experience. It's so hard for smaller stores and good owners to stay in this business and compete with the chain stores, so it is refreshing to see someone that is still hanging in there and making a difference.

I haven't seen any of his stuff on youtube, so I'll have to check him out. Very nice BHP btw.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

4. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (04-08-2018)

Thanks

Re: Reptile Rapture

Yep, Reptile Rapture is great! It’s a longer drive for me than Chicago Reptile House, but I prefer the store and the people!

(I have nothing negative to say about Chicago Reptile House, just very meh about it)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (04-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    that's awesome to hear you had such a great experience!!! thanks for sharing it with us. which one is you in the photo??

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    Yep, Reptile Rapture is great! It’s a longer drive for me than Chicago Reptile House, but I prefer the store and the people!

and thank you both for saving me a trip but Reptile Rapture sounds amazing!
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 04-06-2018 at 03:15 PM. Reason: formatting
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    I recently shot him an email with a random question about racks and gilas, not really expecting to hear back. Sure enough the next morning I received a nice reply from Richard. He seems like a super cool dude. I really root for the good people to do well, so I hope he earned your business.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Great writeup, thanks for taking the time to review them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (04-08-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    Y

(I have nothing negative to say about Chicago Reptile House, just very meh about it)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Agree completely - meh review moreso than negative comments

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    It's great that you had such a good experience. It's so hard for smaller stores and good owners to stay in this business and compete with the chain stores, so it is refreshing to see someone that is still hanging in there and making a difference.

I haven't seen any of his stuff on youtube, so I'll have to check him out. Very nice BHP btw.
    He really has a great shop and reputation from what I've heard, and now experienced. Not bad for a "small shop" in Madison, WI and having to compete with big box stores.

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    that's awesome to hear you had such a great experience!!! thanks for sharing it with us. which one is you in the photo??

and thank you both for saving me a trip but Reptile Rapture sounds amazing!
    LOL - I'm on the left, Richard looks tiny next to me, except his "guns," but most everyone does when I'm around... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    I recently shot him an email with a random question about racks and gilas, not really expecting to hear back. Sure enough the next morning I received a nice reply from Richard. He seems like a super cool dude. I really root for the good people to do well, so I hope he earned your business.
    That's how I first experienced how cool he was. After watching his vlogs I knew he was/and knew a carpet python guy. I rescued a carpet and had no idea what it was and knowing it's tough to say without proving them out through breeding asked him about it anyway. He was very receptive and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Great writeup, thanks for taking the time to review them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ​Certainly do what I can to help someone that represents themselves well and takes care of his customers.
    Ball Python
    Boas
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    Cats

Snake Wishlist
    SD/D Retic
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Thanks for sharing, I’m in Chicago and would love to go check it out. As far as Chicago Reptile House goes, back in the late 90’s they were the great, really great. I visited them a couple years back and it was not the same. But I do believe one of the owners is involved with NARBC and is still a big part of the reptile community. Again thanks for sharing, I gotta go check it out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    Buy anything ???

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    Thanks for sharing, I’m in Chicago and would love to go check it out. As far as Chicago Reptile House goes, back in the late 90’s they were the great, really great. I visited them a couple years back and it was not the same. But I do believe one of the owners is involved with NARBC and is still a big part of the reptile community. Again thanks for sharing, I gotta go check it out.

Yes, I've heard very active with NARBC and the reptile community as a whole. Not badmouthing, just meh about the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Buy anything ???
    No reptiles....Did pick up a hook and long feeding tongs as well as a shirt - we talked about the BHP's and red eyed crock skinks though....always a possibility, especially since I'll be back there in the fall.
    Ball Python
    Boas
    Pythons
    Cats

Snake Wishlist
    SD/D Retic
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast