Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,821

0 members and 2,821 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ASF feeding

Registered User Cornfed_Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks

ASF feeding

Hey all, I have a question for you more experienced ASF breeders. I started my first two colonies last week and built my rack using 1/4" hardware cloth. I would like to feed them Mazuri pellets on top of the hardware cloth like you see most domestic rat racks set up. However, I was concerned that they might not be able to eat through the 1/4" cloth so I built some feed hoppers out of 1/2" cloth. They eat out of those fine, but of course they crawl on them and I don't think it is very sanitary.

My main question is, have any of you had issues with feeding through the 1/4" mesh top screen? I am just afraid if the food is too hard to get to they might decide to try and chew out the tubs. Thanks in advance.

Here is a couple photos of my set up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cornfed_Constrictors For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (04-05-2018),Hamsnacks (04-05-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They can eat just fine through 1/4 inch hardware cloth that what I used .
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Cornfed_Constrictors (04-05-2018)

Thanks
    i have rats but same deal with the 1/4" mesh, non of my rats could get to it, so what i did was trimmed out bigger holes using very small wire cutters so that where i cut it the mesh would not have any hanging shards. (i had a rat destroy its upper pallet due to my initial go at doing this with thicker wire cutters) what i did was make 1/2" wide by 1 1/2" strips where i put the food and i never made two rows right next to each other so that that they would hold up and no one can starch the wire to get out. so that would be a 1/4" squares to separate each strip where they can get at the food. i hope this helps, if you need a better description ill try to post pics but it seems to be a chore to do on here
    Ball
    1.0 Enchi Lesser Killer Bee
    0.1 Killer King Clown
    0.1 Mystic Potion

Retic
    1.0 Purple Phase Albino

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scherf For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: ASF feeding

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    They can eat just fine through 1/4 inch hardware cloth that what I used .
    Deborah did you use 1/4" on you feed outs as well?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scherf View Post
    i have rats but same deal with the 1/4" mesh, non of my rats could get to it, so what i did was trimmed out bigger holes using very small wire cutters so that where i cut it the mesh would not have any hanging shards. (i had a rat destroy its upper pallet due to my initial go at doing this with thicker wire cutters) what i did was make 1/2" wide by 1 1/2" strips where i put the food and i never made two rows right next to each other so that that they would hold up and no one can starch the wire to get out. so that would be a 1/4" squares to separate each strip where they can get at the food. i hope this helps, if you need a better description ill try to post pics but it seems to be a chore to do on here
    That is good for full size rats but I have read hopper ASF rats can squeeze through 1/2" hardware cloth so I don't think this suggestion would work well in an ASF enclosure. Thanks for the input though.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed_Constrictors View Post
    Deborah did you use 1/4" on you feed outs as well?

I did for ASF and Mice and 1/2 inch for rats and never had an issue. The problem with feeding from the top and using 1/2 inch hardware cloth with ASF is that the babies will escape.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I did for ASF and Mice and 1/2 inch for rats and never had an issue. The problem with feeding from the top and using 1/2 inch hardware cloth with ASF is that the babies will escape.
    I am gonna rock it then, thanks Deborah.

Thanks
    i had no idea that ASF's could get through holes that small. thats wild lol
    Ball
    1.0 Enchi Lesser Killer Bee
    0.1 Killer King Clown
    0.1 Mystic Potion

Retic
    1.0 Purple Phase Albino

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

I use 40 gal Breeders for all my ASF's with Screened tops. They chew through anything else ive tried. They won't necessarily get through a tub but I've had them literally naw a hole right in the flat plastic floor of one. My feeder bins are inside the enclosure and are 1/2" hardcloth. They have a lid on them made out of the hard cloth that I flip open to add more food..just use a little wire to make a hinge. I also made holders for my water bottles with the hardcloth however after a few months they found out how to get to a little piece of the plastic water bottle even through the hard cloth so I now i use all glass bottles.
    As far as breeding I don't care what anybody tells you on the Internet you'll only get 3 to 4 good litters (12-24) out of them & after that they drop to 5-6 or they just kill/eat them. I don't know why but I've tried it different ways over and over and the best way is to use a female to get 3-4 litters then keep a couple of her pups from the second litter to replace her after.
    I feed lab block too. I use Pine Pellets for bedding with a handful of shredded newspaper for them to build a nest. They wont breed until 2.5 months and pups are weaned at 3 weeks. If you dont get the pups out at 3 weeks they will crush the pinkies for that week as the cycle is about every 24 days. Ive never been able to have for than 3 females to a enclosure as pups are born at different times so the younger ones always get smooshed and suffocated from the bigger ones. The best breeding that I've ever had is one male to 2 females in each enclosure and it works perfect without losing a bunch of pinkies each month and feeding another female for no reason.
    If you need any info you can PM me. Ive got hundreds.

iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Cornfed_Constrictors (04-06-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

ASF feeding

You can see the 1/2" hardcloth feeders i make. Ive realized whether you use feeders or you just put it on the floor they go through the same amount of food. When the foods in in a feeder they spend all night trying to chew and get the food out not even eating it. if I just put piles on the floor they don't tend to chew at it and grind it up as much. The feeder almost becomes a game for them. As far as the towels, I use them on the Breeder enclosures not Grow out. They are nervous creatures and without a dark private side to nurse the Litters they sometimes kill/eat them. Once you understand their habits you can breed successfully, but not understanding them you can loose them all. They are not like Norway Rats at all.

iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 04-06-2018 at 08:29 AM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Cornfed_Constrictors (04-06-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast