Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,386

1 members and 2,385 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Maybe I made a mistake then on size. She's a little over 6 and a half feet. When I measured the thickest part of her body it was about 4 inches wide so I assumed she would require a very large rat and then probably eat every 3 weeks. But it seems like I over calculated. I assumed way too large.

In regards to the medium rats, do you feed her only 1 or 2 then? Maybe I'll start with that and then go up to a large rat in the future.

Thanks again everyone for the help, very much appreciated!

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Was able to weigh her tonight, she's ~5kgs, and ~6.7' in length. If that helps at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Definitely go to the pet store and ask for hamster bedding, and scent the thawed and heated rat with it before offering. I used to just roll the rat around in the bedding when I was switching.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Hamsnacks (04-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Re: Advice on Feeding

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
    In regards to the medium rats, do you feed her only 1 or 2 then? Maybe I'll start with that and then go up to a large rat in the future.
    Medium rats are 2-3 times larger than hamsters. I'd start smaller - somewhere between a pup and weaned. Don't worry, by the looks of her, she's got plenty of reserves. Usually when people switch up prey items on an imprinted animal, they try with similar sized or smaller options. Going the opposite way could just intimidate your snake out of any feeding interest.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Hamsnacks (04-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    I like the suggestions you are getting here.

I think during the switch, like sized prey that is scented is a good idea.

Once you get things moving, there is nothing wrong with variety. Quail, rabbits, rats, are all good.

As far as size goes, I tend to mix that up as well.

Carpet pythons, especially coastal and Bredli and even some larger jungles can and do eat huge prey items.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/sc...49bd825de46bc8

One thing I love about the species is they are rather active in the boa/python group and you can see them doing something day or night on most days.

They are one of the most adaptive snakes out there. Coastals live in heavily populated areas, and many homes in the range of coastals, have them in the attics.

Watch your dogs, watch your cats.

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...a2fa0f4c984dfa

Apologies for the on and off topic garble here.

My coastal is a pain and always has been. She prefers live, eats monthly, will eat F/T but she has to be extremely hungry and I end up playing around trying to coax a feeding for usually 20 minutes.

Good luck.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Hamsnacks (04-06-2018),Reinz (04-06-2018)

Thanks

My Bredli and JCP get a single small or medium rat per feeding (every 2 weeks). If the kits are small on rabbit weeks they get two, or a rabbit kit and a mouse. They’re also my garbage disposals if one of the other snakes obviously isn’t going to eat (usually a medium mouse when it happens).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Definitely go to the pet store and ask for hamster bedding, and scent the thawed and heated rat with it before offering. I used to just roll the rat around in the bedding when I was switching.
    Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Medium rats are 2-3 times larger than hamsters. I'd start smaller - somewhere between a pup and weaned. Don't worry, by the looks of her, she's got plenty of reserves. Usually when people switch up prey items on an imprinted animal, they try with similar sized or smaller options. Going the opposite way could just intimidate your snake out of any feeding interest.
    Once again, thanks for the help, I will be going today to pick up either some pups or weaned rats, I'll check out the size in person and slowly start moving up. I still have some old hamster bedding that should do the trick. Hoping for the day when she's fully switched and can start feeding her different variety of foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I like the suggestions you are getting here.

I think during the switch, like sized prey that is scented is a good idea.

Once you get things moving, there is nothing wrong with variety. Quail, rabbits, rats, are all good.

As far as size goes, I tend to mix that up as well.

Carpet pythons, especially coastal and Bredli and even some larger jungles can and do eat huge prey items.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/sc...49bd825de46bc8

One thing I love about the species is they are rather active in the boa/python group and you can see them doing something day or night on most days.

They are one of the most adaptive snakes out there. Coastals live in heavily populated areas, and many homes in the range of coastals, have them in the attics.

Watch your dogs, watch your cats.

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...a2fa0f4c984dfa

Apologies for the on and off topic garble here.

My coastal is a pain and always has been. She prefers live, eats monthly, will eat F/T but she has to be extremely hungry and I end up playing around trying to coax a feeding for usually 20 minutes.

Good luck.
    They are absolutely amazing, I love the fact that you can see them during the day, she's not in her hide all day. Plus she doesn't get started easily so the kids can approach the tank and view her or she'll come out and see what's going on. Every snake enthusiasts should have a carpet lol I bought mine because of the people on this forum and the look of the snake itself I think is gorgeous.

Those links you sent we're crazy, cause they have big bodies but their heads are a lot smaller, I can't imagine how it ate that possum or hare.

Thanks again!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Why so much for the rats ??

$10?? That seems like a grip!

have you tried to look for cheaper bulk sources. ?
    Part of the problem is that Alberta is supposedly "rat free" ( there's even a volunteer "rat patrol" along the Saskatchewan border). As such, private ownership of rats is illegal here, and (to my understanding) only allowed for zoos, universities and other such research establishments.
    2.2 Ball Pythons - Super Pastel (Manasa) / Banana (Foster) / Butter Bee (Pancake) / Normal (Chipit)

0.1 Abbotts Okeetee Corn (Koko)

1.0 Jungle Carpet (Akurra)

1.0 Coastal Rosy Boa (Volos)

0.1 Het. Albino Kenyan Sand Boa (Hulu)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12