Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 962

1 members and 961 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Difference between black head and woma?

From what I was told the Western localities are more likely to be black and white and the Eastern localities are the reddish phases.

Quote Originally Posted by enginee837 View Post
    Axanthic lines in the us are different than the axanthic lines in Europe and they do not mesh. There are many different morphs both line bred (yellowjacket), recessive (axanthic), co-dominant (tiger) available in the Us. There are a lot more than listed above.
    I didn't know there were two lines of axanthic! The person I was talking to at a show (I have his card somewhere), he imported the UK axanthic line here, so I guess that just muddies the waters even more.
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    From what I was told the Western localities are more likely to be black and white and the Eastern localities are the reddish phases.

I didn't know there were two lines of axanthic! The person I was talking to at a show (I have his card somewhere), he imported the UK axanthic line here, so I guess that just muddies the waters even more.
    Yes the western bhp's tend to be smaller, their blacks are more black and their banding is more cream/white with great contrast. One downside to this locality is they are almost exclusively reptile eaters in the wild sons neos they are very difficult to get feeding. As far as "normals" go the westerns are the most sought after and hardest to come by you are looking in the 2k+ range for one with proven breeding. There is only one person in the US to my knowledge that breeds pure westerns and that is Derek Roddy. I have one of his pure Lazic western females and am anxiously waiting for him to produce more so I can get her a boyfriend. The other line I am working with (also from Derek) are his yellowjacket lines which are 75% Lazik 25% Goergen (may have misspelled that name).
    As for the axanthics, the European line in my opinion are not as clean and tend to muddy up as adults however even with the cost of shipping and importing they are much cheaper than US line axanthics. This coupled with the fact that there may be unscrupulous people trying to buy one and sell it as another can create problems if you are wanting to create a breeding program. Fortunately the BHP community is a rather small one so simply sticking to the people that have a good name will prevent these issues.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (04-06-2018)

Thanks

Axanthic lines in the us are different than the axanthic lines in Europe and they do not mesh. There are many different morphs both line bred (yellowjacket), recessive (axanthic), co-dominant (tiger) available in the Us. There are a lot more than listed above.
    As far as womas go there is not much in the way of morphs like the black-heads but the different localities they originally came from carried greatly and although it is impossible to get locality specific womas here the melting pot of genes has made for some wild line bred stuff.
    Keep in mind both black-heads and womas can change a great deal in looks from the time they hatch into adulthood. The most common change muddies their color and contrast making beautiful hatches into ugly adults. More selective breeders have for the most part line bred this trait out of their stock but unless you can see the parents you have no idea what the hatchling is going to look like when it grows up. Basically you get what you pay for. I have seen womas for as little as 250.00 and as high as 500.00. Black-heads as low as 750.00 and as high as 10k (morphs). These are current prices, 20 years ago they were 10k for womas and 20k for black-heads.
    As far as physical differences between the two the black-heads do get larger to a point but the really big ones are big due to feeding bias and typically die young because of it. Healthy bhp's can be as small as 6". Womas typically top out at about 4.5 to 5 feet. Both are slender however the womas have a triangle shape to them whereas the blackheads are more cylindrical.
    Care requirements are similar, bhp's like a little more humidity and a little warmer hot spot. As neonates bhp's are notoriously hard to get feeding. Womas not so much. Once eating however bhp's will literally eat anything you put in front of them. Both are known for being rather hardy.
    If you want to see some stellar examples of bhp's check out Derek Roddy's stock. He has some beautiful womas too. Another greeter of exceptional womas is Art Aviles. There are also Facebook pages for bothers species. Black-headed pythons use, woman pythons use and aspedities keepers.
    Hope this helps.
    This is immensely helpful, thank you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    This is immensely helpful, thank you.
    You are welcome.
    Disclaimer, although I should be breeding my womas this year and possibly even some of my black-heads I have zero experience with actual breeding and only about 3 years experience keeping them. Most of my knowledge came from Derek and some from research and books I have found. One in particular I believe is called Australian Pythons which covers husbandry as well as breeding for all of the aussie pythons.
    If you are serious about getting either womas or blackheads I strongly suggest reaching out to Derek, he is a wealth of knowledge and is super friendly.
    I will try to make a post in here with close up pics showing the differences between the womas and blackheads as well as some locality stuff.

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

Thanks

You are welcome.
    Disclaimer, although I should be breeding my womas this year and possibly even some of my black-heads I have zero experience with actual breeding and only about 3 years experience keeping them. Most of my knowledge came from Derek and some from research and books I have found. One in particular I believe is called Australian Pythons which covers husbandry as well as breeding for all of the aussie pythons.
    If you are serious about getting either womas or blackheads I strongly suggest reaching out to Derek, he is a wealth of knowledge and is super friendly.
    I will try to make a post in here with close up pics showing the differences between the womas and blackheads as well as some locality stuff.
    First pic on is my western female the other two are my yellowjacket lines bhp's

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (04-08-2018),Prognathodon (04-06-2018),Reinz (04-08-2018)

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]Here are close up shots of the heads, as you can see the bhp head shape is a little more pointed and the womas heads can vary quite a bit even so far as having a different scale count.

Last edited by enginee837; 04-06-2018 at 01:44 PM.

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (04-08-2018)

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]Here you can see how cylindrical the body of the bhp is as opposed to the triangular shape of the woma.

Last edited by enginee837; 04-06-2018 at 01:44 PM.

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (04-08-2018)

Thanks
    My god, your snakes are beautiful!

I actually have that book, Australian pythons, and have found it to be very helpful as I got it after getting my liasis fuscus and discovering that husbandry info on them is extremely hard to come by.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

enginee837 (04-06-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I didn't want to throw names around but yes, Derrick Roddy is one of the masters I spoke of, and sorry Engine837 I didn't want to drop your name and put you on the spot. You do have some incredible snakes in your collection..by the way..where are you located?
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

Thanks

Thank you! Yeah, normally I would be hesitant to name drop as well but Derek has been very open to helping people new to the aspedities club. Hopefully I will be able to help add to the pool of responsible quality breeders out there.
    I live in Peoria (a suburb near Phoenix) Az.

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post: