Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,462

1 members and 2,461 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Growth rate of a BCC?

Quote Originally Posted by alice40604345 View Post
    Wow! 15 years! That must be your best friend so you would gift her to ! And 11ft!!! Wow that's a very big girl! Does she have a steady growth rate and always grow in a slow rate in her all 15 years? So nice to know she's looking good after 17 years! Yeah I also saw some articles say they'll live 20-30years on average.
    Yeah, I was put in a position where I had to move and didn't have the money to care for her for a while, so I handed her over to him and he cared for her so well and liked her so much I let him keep her. She is certainly huge, but I'd say she grew most of that length in the first 5 years, and after that grew much much slower. I'll have to see if I can find a pic of her sometime or take one when I have the chance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

alice40604345 (04-05-2018)

Thanks

Oh that's sad. I also saw some blog say overfed snakes will die young. Is that because their digest system is overwork or some disease caused by fat?
    Both, for an animal designed to get the maximum amount of calories it can from anything it eats, constant big meals really takes a toll on their stomach, liver, kidneys, and everything else. They also end up storing so much unused fat that it starts getting stored In the liver and causes it to fail. They tend to grow very large when Fed this way, but overgrowth and muscle tend to be far less dense and poorly developed. I like it to building a house... you can build it faster, but the craftsmanship will be far better if you take your time and build it right.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (04-05-2018),alice40604345 (04-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Thank you soooooo much!!! So rabbits are much more nutrious than rat? Oh thank you for the way to read boas lol! Looks so useful! Recently I see he normally stays with his half body outside the hide and tails inside the hide. But just stay still. My ball pythons will often cruise after I sleep. I can tell by their substrate shape lol! I'll observe them more often!
    Wow 5-6 years! They really grow so slow...lol! I'm curious how big will a 20-year old male BCC grow lol!
    OMG!!!!!!!!!Your Gina is sooooooo gorgeous!!! So bright red!!! I just search Gus Rentfro but looks like he does not have these kind of babies available now... may I know how do you find the breeders and how do you know when some breeders have new babies? I wanted to get BCC for months but haven't find something on facebook group or just search BCC breeders. I went to a couple of reptile expo and finally get him. But he got mites and thanks for suggestions I get here with you guys I haven't seen mites for weeks. I'll keep treating him for another two months. But I just find some animals in reptile expo are not in good condition and hard to know what their parents look like... some of the sellers are not breeders I think. Wow I also want to buy snakes direcctly from breeders but not sure what's the best way to find them. Gina is really really stunning!!! I wish I could also have a snake like her!!!!
    Rabbits arent necessarily more nutritious. They are just a leaner meat with less fat plus they are more dense.

And yeah, most of my young boas sit with their front half outside the hide and the tail end in the hide lol.

Thanks and you wont find Gus Rentfro selling boas anymore. He retired a while ago. He was the godfather of boas and was one of the first to actually bring BCC to the states and start breeding them. He kept very precise records of what was collected where so if you get a boa from his stock that is said to be from Pokigron, you can bet your bottom dollar it was collected from there.

You can find is stock around though. Chris Wolf and Vin Russo both picked up a lot of Gus' stock. I got Gina from Chris Wolf who got the parents straight from Gus back in 2006 as babies.

If you are buying something like a BCC, my advice is buy from a breeder who keeps good records. Heck i got pics of Gina being born lol. I mean i dont see her exactly but i have pics of her and her siblings all in a big blob of goo on the cage floor lol.

I mean dont get me wrong, there are LOTS of really nice BCC that arent specific locals. Some breeders i would buy from would be Star Shaffer, Skip Frye, Russel Le Fleur, Chris Wolf, Vin Russo, Mike Luchessi, Brian Viullemenboa. There are lots of other good breeders out there. Just remember, if you are buying something that is marked as a local or something specific, make sure you buy from a reputable breeder as paperwork can be faked and means nothing imo. The only papers that would matter is CITES papers if you are buying an import like a specific Peruvian BCC or something.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

alice40604345 (04-05-2018)

Thanks

Wow! That's really bad! I'll keep an eye on my snakes' weight and never fed my snakes too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    Both, for an animal designed to get the maximum amount of calories it can from anything it eats, constant big meals really takes a toll on their stomach, liver, kidneys, and everything else. They also end up storing so much unused fat that it starts getting stored In the liver and causes it to fail. They tend to grow very large when Fed this way, but overgrowth and muscle tend to be far less dense and poorly developed. I like it to building a house... you can build it faster, but the craftsmanship will be far better if you take your time and build it right.

Thanks

Oh thank you so much!!!!! Let me take a note of all these names lol! You're so knowledgeable about them! Yeah I saw "Pokigron" and XX bloodline then with some terms which I don't quite understand. Thank you so much for your advice! May I know how do you find the famous breeders? I currently also want a Dumerils' boa. May I know what is a best way to find the reputable breeder and when they have babies?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Rabbits arent necessarily more nutritious. They are just a leaner meat with less fat plus they are more dense.
    And yeah, most of my young boas sit with their front half outside the hide and the tail end in the hide lol.

Thanks and you wont find Gus Rentfro selling boas anymore. He retired a while ago. He was the godfather of boas and was one of the first to actually bring BCC to the states and start breeding them. He kept very precise records of what was collected where so if you get a boa from his stock that is said to be from Pokigron, you can bet your bottom dollar it was collected from there.

You can find is stock around though. Chris Wolf and Vin Russo both picked up a lot of Gus' stock. I got Gina from Chris Wolf who got the parents straight from Gus back in 2006 as babies.

If you are buying something like a BCC, my advice is buy from a breeder who keeps good records. Heck i got pics of Gina being born lol. I mean i dont see her exactly but i have pics of her and her siblings all in a big blob of goo on the cage floor lol.

I mean dont get me wrong, there are LOTS of really nice BCC that arent specific locals. Some breeders i would buy from would be Star Shaffer, Skip Frye, Russel Le Fleur, Chris Wolf, Vin Russo, Mike Luchessi, Brian Viullemenboa. There are lots of other good breeders out there. Just remember, if you are buying something that is marked as a local or something specific, make sure you buy from a reputable breeder as paperwork can be faked and means nothing imo. The only papers that would matter is CITES papers if you are buying an import like a specific Peruvian BCC or something.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Oh thank you so much!!!!! Let me take a note of all these names lol! You're so knowledgeable about them! Yeah I saw "Pokigron" and XX bloodline then with some terms which I don't quite understand. Thank you so much for your advice! May I know how do you find the famous breeders? I currently also want a Dumerils' boa. May I know what is a best way to find the reputable breeder and when they have babies?
    Well, Gus Rentfro and Vin Russo have been around for ages. They have been importing boas back before people even kept reptiles lol. They are there with Tom Crutchfield but his methods were questionable at best lol. As for others like Star Shaffer, Chris Wolf and them, it just is mostly spread by word of mouth. The BCC community isnt really huge like BPs or geckos so you get to know the big hitters in the field and what they prefer to produces. Like Chris Wolf works with almost purely local stuff like Venezuelan BCC, Pokigron Surinames, Peruvians BCC(cant remember if it was Iquitos or Pucallpa, i would have to ask him again lol), BCLs, BCO and i think also BCA and North Brazilian stuff.

As for a dumerils, they dont come in locale or morph so you are safer there. Just make sure if you get a baby, you get one that is eating regularly as baby dumerils sometimes are problem feeders.

And i also got one of those. This is Luna, my 2016 dumerils who is TERRIFIED of rats lol. She is such a chicken around even FT ones but she goes gung ho for her mice. She's being antisocial as i havent fed her a couple mice yet since when it was feeding day, she was in shed and now that she is out, I'm making her wait until the next feeding day for all the little ones lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

alice40604345 (04-06-2018)

Thanks

Thank you so much!! When my baby gets older I want to get the next BCC, I'll definitely check with these guys! Wow maybe the time they breed BCC is even longer than my age! Wow Luna is so beautiful! She looks so gold/pink. I also want a Dumeril like her! I saw some Dumerils are more brown and darker. May I know why there's this difference? Maybe I should also ask for parents' picture when I what to get one?
    Oh I also saw some posts here say their Dumeril have won't eat problem....Oh this is like ball python Thank you so much I'll ask the seller about this when I want to get one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Well, Gus Rentfro and Vin Russo have been around for ages. They have been importing boas back before people even kept reptiles lol. They are there with Tom Crutchfield but his methods were questionable at best lol. As for others like Star Shaffer, Chris Wolf and them, it just is mostly spread by word of mouth. The BCC community isnt really huge like BPs or geckos so you get to know the big hitters in the field and what they prefer to produces. Like Chris Wolf works with almost purely local stuff like Venezuelan BCC, Pokigron Surinames, Peruvians BCC(cant remember if it was Iquitos or Pucallpa, i would have to ask him again lol), BCLs, BCO and i think also BCA and North Brazilian stuff.

As for a dumerils, they dont come in locale or morph so you are safer there. Just make sure if you get a baby, you get one that is eating regularly as baby dumerils sometimes are problem feeders.

And i also got one of those. This is Luna, my 2016 dumerils who is TERRIFIED of rats lol. She is such a chicken around even FT ones but she goes gung ho for her mice. She's being antisocial as i havent fed her a couple mice yet since when it was feeding day, she was in shed and now that she is out, I'm making her wait until the next feeding day for all the little ones lol.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to alice40604345 For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (04-06-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12