Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,819

2 members and 2,817 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: What do you guys do with your normals?

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Pythons View Post
    I'd rather them be sold as feeders than have them frozen and thrown out, at least they go to something more worthy than a trash can that way. King Cobras need to eat too.
    my sentiments exactly.

i typed out a lot more but i'll leave it at this: if there's any hobby that understands the value of the life of a feeder animal, it's ours.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Alicia (04-04-2018),PitOnTheProwl (04-04-2018),Team Slytherin (04-04-2018),zina10 (04-04-2018)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Sell them as food? Wtf! That is just not right! That makes me so angry on so many levels. We breed snakes because we love them and to sell them off so king cobras can eat them? I can't...I just cant! I am appalled!
    Think about the hypocrisy here for a second......
    What makes it any different than breeding rats for food for YOUR animals? How about breeding roaches to feed my tarantulas? Look at the meat market in your local grocery store, all animals bred for food.
    Its a circle of life and the use of a death.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Alicia (04-04-2018),bcr229 (04-04-2018),Bogertophis (09-11-2018),Godzilla78 (09-15-2018),MAC1 (09-15-2018),Sonny1318 (04-04-2018),zina10 (04-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Sell them as food? Wtf! That is just not right! That makes me so angry on so many levels. We breed snakes because we love them and to sell them off so king cobras can eat them? I can't...I just cant! I am appalled!
    Actually a lot of feeder snakes are sold as f/t. Usually they are given a last good-sized meal and then the snake's brain is quickly pithed to kill it instantly before it is frozen.

Decapitation is not a fast way to kill a snake and should not be used.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (04-04-2018),Bogertophis (09-11-2018),zina10 (04-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

I wonder what BP taste like?.......

I know... I know...

Was to far. LOL.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (04-04-2018),Team Slytherin (04-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    This is a rough read...

circle of life i get and respect it and partake onviously.

Just hard to swallow when we all have them but because they are normal or not a crazy morph they are second class citizens.

As as others have said if they are used to feed and a purpose that to me is just part of all of us. But to be bagged and tossed seems like there are better alternatives.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-11-2018),Nz2500 (09-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    This is a rough read...

circle of life i get and respect it and partake onviously.

Just hard to swallow when we all have them but because they are normal or not a crazy morph they are second class citizens.

As as others have said if they are used to feed and a purpose that to me is just part of all of us. But to be bagged and tossed seems like there are better alternatives.
    it is just because the markrt is flooded. These things can live 30 years and many, many people who buy a ball python decide it’s not for them after a year and try to get rid of it on craigslist. There are just so many normals that they become almost unwanted and very difficult to sell, so as a breeder sometimes it is hard to decide what to do to offload them quickly. it’s just the way it ends up being

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    To the ones that say its better to sell them super cheap or give them away, that is by far not a guarantee of a better live then a quick death and being fed off.

Again, I couldn't let my babies go as feeders or feed them off myself.

But, when the market is over flooded and you DO need feeder snakes, what is the logical thing to do? We also need feeder frogs and lizards, not to even mention the rodents. There are many people that adore their frogs and lizards.

In this hobby you have to be realistic. You decided to bring that animal to your house, you are responsible for it, it only has YOU to look after its needs. If it eats frogs or needs them for scenting until it can be converted, well, you better get over yourself and do whatever is needed. If it needs to eat other snakes, well, that is what you have to do. You can always try F/T first, this way someone else had to do the "deed". But sometimes you have to feed live. If nothing more, until you can begin the process to switch them over.

Some people like Kingsnakes. Some people own venomous snakes that feed on other snakes. What about the rare and gorgeous Eastern Indigo. Sure, some can be switched to rodents, but some cannot. Or not right away.

I much rather an animal went to good use such as that, then in the trash or neglected, dying a slow death of starvation and neglect. Because many will end up just that way. Sure, more expensive morphs and animals also end up neglected. But fact remains, the cheaper animals are often viewed as "throw away" pets. So selling and giving away those cheap normals does in no way guarantee them a good life. There are worse things then a quick death.

So again, I would try my best to find a good home. I would make sure to give setup instructions (or even sell a set, animal and setup, at cost) and be picky. But it is completely unrealistic to expect bigger breeders to do just that. They may as well pack up. It is also unfair to say that those bigger breeders should simply not exist if they cannot be bothered to find good homes and be extremely picky for each and every normal they produce. We simply wouldn't have a lot of breeders left. Without them we would still be having mostly sickly imports to choose from, with all the problems alongside.

Many normals are more beautiful then some morphs, in my opinion. Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Its not that they are viewed as non worthy. There are simply to many of them still, they are sold cheap and in some cases can't even be given away. That is the downside of the market explosion.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (04-04-2018),Bogertophis (09-11-2018),distaff (11-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Morals and ethics of snake as feeders (what do you do with your normal spin-off)

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    To the ones that say its better to sell them super cheap or give them away, that is by far not a guarantee of a better live then a quick death and being fed off.

Again, I couldn't let my babies go as feeders or feed them off myself.

But, when the market is over flooded and you DO need feeder snakes, what is the logical thing to do? We also need feeder frogs and lizards, not to even mention the rodents. There are many people that adore their frogs and lizards.

In this hobby you have to be realistic. You decided to bring that animal to your house, you are responsible for it, it only has YOU to look after its needs. If it eats frogs or needs them for scenting until it can be converted, well, you better get over yourself and do whatever is needed. If it needs to eat other snakes, well, that is what you have to do. You can always try F/T first, this way someone else had to do the "deed". But sometimes you have to feed live. If nothing more, until you can begin the process to switch them over.

Some people like Kingsnakes. Some people own venomous snakes that feed on other snakes. What about the rare and gorgeous Eastern Indigo. Sure, some can be switched to rodents, but some cannot. Or not right away.

I much rather an animal went to good use such as that, then in the trash or neglected, dying a slow death of starvation and neglect. Because many will end up just that way. Sure, more expensive morphs and animals also end up neglected. But fact remains, the cheaper animals are often viewed as "throw away" pets. So selling and giving away those cheap normals does in no way guarantee them a good life. There are worse things then a quick death.

So again, I would try my best to find a good home. I would make sure to give setup instructions (or even sell a set, animal and setup, at cost) and be picky. But it is completely unrealistic to expect bigger breeders to do just that. They may as well pack up. It is also unfair to say that those bigger breeders should simply not exist if they cannot be bothered to find good homes and be extremely picky for each and every normal they produce. We simply wouldn't have a lot of breeders left. Without them we would still be having mostly sickly imports to choose from, with all the problems alongside.

Many normals are more beautiful then some morphs, in my opinion. Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Its not that they are viewed as non worthy. There are simply to many of them still, they are sold cheap and in some cases can't even be given away. That is the downside of the market explosion.
    I had a reticulated python breeder tell me that he wished he could get the shelters dogs and cats that were going to be put down and let him kill them in a way that is humane and safe for his snakes to eat. I say why not? They are going to die anyway. Would be practical and efficient use of a doomed animal. Not sure I could do it myself though but you do have some good points.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Re: Morals and ethics of snake as feeders (what do you do with your normal spin-off)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I had a reticulated python breeder tell me that he wished he could get the shelters dogs and cats that were going to be put down and let him kill them in a way that is humane and safe for his snakes to eat. I say why not? They are going to die anyway. Would be practical and efficient use of a doomed animal. Not sure I could do it myself though but you do have some good points.
    Honestly, I wouldn't want a former pet such as a dog or cat as food for my snakes. Morals aside, you never know just how many medications those animals have been on in their life time. Some of those medications are still in their system and makes them unsafe for consumption, even if they weren't chemically put down.

Its the same with horses. I would NEVER eat horse meat unless it was from a horse that was raised for slaughter. Its not just that I love horses, but I know what goes into a horse on regular basis. Horse people are crazy when it comes to going above and beyond to make their animal comfortable. There are many drugs and pesticides given regularly to any horse. Not to mention the many meds and shots they are on, for various problems and issues.

Some of those do not break down quickly. And trust me, you don't want those in your system..

While I agree it would be better use then thrown in the trash, that probably would be a slippery slope. Many people would not believe those animals were killed humanely. There would be an uproar, because dogs and cats are viewed as highly intelligent and affectionate companion animals, at least in our country. As is, the people collecting free kittens and puppies to feed them to their snake, are throwing a bad light on the rest of us reptile keepers. Esp. when they go around promising to give those animals good loving homes.
    Last edited by zina10; 04-04-2018 at 02:12 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (04-04-2018),Bogertophis (09-11-2018),distaff (11-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Now that would be disastrous for our hobby. It would spread like wildfire through social media.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-11-2018),Kira (04-04-2018),MD_Pythons (04-04-2018),MissterDog (04-04-2018),zina10 (04-04-2018)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast