Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,835

1 members and 2,834 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Morals and ethics of snake as feeders (what do you do with your normal spin-off)

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    Can someone tell me what breeders cull any perfectly healthy snake. I see it brought up all the time but never have actually heard of anyone admit doing this, yet it seems to be common knowledge "breeders" do this all the time. If your small time like me, normals go fast at shows, few meals in em and an easy 20 bucks. Any large breeder I've talked to, wholesales them out to stores or anyone looking for big quantities. Again easy money. It seems illogical to cull a healthy animal even purely thinking of the money.
    I suspect that this is actually more of a small breeder thing, as they probably don't even make enough for wholesale.

Thanks

Re: Morals and ethics of snake as feeders (what do you do with your normal spin-off)

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    Can someone tell me what breeders cull any perfectly healthy snake. I see it brought up all the time but never have actually heard of anyone admit doing this, yet it seems to be common knowledge "breeders" do this all the time. If your small time like me, normals go fast at shows, few meals in em and an easy 20 bucks. Any large breeder I've talked to, wholesales them out to stores or anyone looking for big quantities. Again easy money. It seems illogical to cull a healthy animal even purely thinking of the money.
    The people that told me they fed them off (to tegu, other snakes, etc.) were small time breeders on FB groups. I can't verify that info, but I'm suspecting that you are right about the bigger breeders. I think some people just don't want to put the effort into selling them (maybe they don't go to shows and only do local sales?) and if they have too few to wholesale, just don't know what to do with them, so feed them off.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    I personally don't have any snakes that will eat other snakes, YET, but I don't see a problem with it. it's the way life goes. My wife gets mad because I see people on Craiglist or facebook giving away bunnies they no longer want, and I tell them, if No one else wants to give them a home, I'll make use of them. I don't do cats\dogs etc, but bunnies, chickens, quail, etc I have no problem with. Again, I don't have snake eaters, but my rats get too big or too many for their growout tubs, I simply put them on carpet and whack the back of the skull with a hammer. I tried holding the neck down and pulling the tail up to break the necks, But I don't have anything good to hold the necks down with. For rabbits and bunnies I simply put a piece of wood across their neck and stand on it with both feet. Grab the legs, pull straight up and the neck cracks. No pain, instant death.
    1.1 Ivory Burmese Pythons 0.1 Albino Granite Burmese Python
    1.0 Orange Glow Retic 0.1 White Albino Retic 0.1 Purple Tiger Retic
    1.0 Anaconda Hognose 1.0 Hognose DBL Het Snow
    0.0.1 Red Tail Boa
    1.0 Albino Blitz BP
    0.1 Pastel Het Pied BP
    1.0 Pastel Leopard BP
    0.1 Pastel Vanilla BP
    0.1 Super Phantom BP
    0.1 Spinner Enchi BP
    0.1 Albino Kingsnake

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jnksnakes View Post
    I personally don't have any snakes that will eat other snakes, YET, but I don't see a problem with it. it's the way life goes. My wife gets mad because I see people on Craiglist or facebook giving away bunnies they no longer want, and I tell them, if No one else wants to give them a home, I'll make use of them. I don't do cats\dogs etc, but bunnies, chickens, quail, etc I have no problem with. Again, I don't have snake eaters, but my rats get too big or too many for their growout tubs, I simply put them on carpet and whack the back of the skull with a hammer. I tried holding the neck down and pulling the tail up to break the necks, But I don't have anything good to hold the necks down with. For rabbits and bunnies I simply put a piece of wood across their neck and stand on it with both feet. Grab the legs, pull straight up and the neck cracks. No pain, instant death.
    how long do they twitch or do they die immediately? do they bleed? i hope it's quick b/c i can't imagine what your carpet looks like. there are youtube vids and forumers here that can teach u how to correctly perform cervical dislocation. even a dummy like me had to do a few when i bought too many and my live feeders were in shed.

get a wood dish rack and fold it flat (or something with alot of crossbars):

put a screwdiver across the back of the neck, press down firmly, get a good grip near the base of the tail and pull very, very hard and u have humanely euthanized a feeder. there are other clean methods as well like C02. just ask around and we can help u improve your feeding/feeder methods.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (09-15-2018)

Thanks

Wait... is this seriously a thread talking about killing infant normal snakes because they do not have "desired" genetics?
    I honestly cant believe that to be the case, but it seems to be...

I know some "king" snakes can have snake feeders ,but often times the owners i know feed them only the weak and malformed. NOT perfectly healthy babies. I also understand the Money and Profit side of snake breeding, but as having a BEAUTIFUL Normal as a my first introduction to the hobby. I now kinda feel sick to my stomach discovering this apparent practice for the first time....

Because for me, Snakes are Just as important of Pets to me as Dogs and Cats. And i do love all animals, but to me they seem alittle LESS "disposable"(?) as a Goldfish or a mass bred Rat feeder is.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nz2500 For This Useful Post:

55fingers (09-15-2018)

Thanks

And also... Are some of you openly Admiting to commiting the act of Killing Healthy Normal Babies as your regular breeding practice? And thus actively treating those Normals as lesser, 2nd class animal feeders?

If so, i have lost all respect for you... I will never look at those from that side of the hobby the same way again.
    And dont kid yourself by calling it a Mercy Kill, Because its not. Its just a convenient way to dispose of a Animal that you do not want!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nz2500 For This Useful Post:

55fingers (09-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz2500 View Post
    Because for me, Snakes are Just as important of Pets to me as Dogs and Cats. And i do love all animals, but to me they seem alittle LESS "disposable"(?) as a Goldfish or a mass bred Rat feeder is.
    Plenty of people who breed rodents as pets get just as upset when people talk about their snakes eating them.

I get rabbits from two sources. The first breeds and is approved to butcher/process rabbit for human consumption, and it's excellent meat. The other breeds show rabbits and prefers that the culls from her breeding program become snake food instead of pets, as a lot of people get pet rabbits without realizing that they need special care, a specialized vet, and the animal may not be used to being handled regularly so it will nip - much like a baby snake. OTOH if the snake is sold as a f/t feeder you know it had a good life, it was kept correctly, and you euthanized it humanely before the carcass was frozen and sold, no different than the producers of f/t rats or rabbits.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (09-16-2018),PitOnTheProwl (09-16-2018),Ronniex2 (09-25-2018)

Thanks
    Personally, I think that if you aren't sure you could sell or rehome the normals in your clutch, you shouldn't breed. It's not fair on the snakes. They don't decide what genetics they have.

White tiger breeders kill the cubs that aren't born with a white coat. Some dog breeders do the same type of thing. If you don't find that moral, I don't understand why it's okay to kill a snake for the same reasons.

But hey, I'm not a breeder, so you do you I suppose.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 55fingers For This Useful Post:

Nz2500 (09-15-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 55fingers View Post
    Personally, I think that if you aren't sure you could sell or rehome the normals in your clutch, you shouldn't breed. It's not fair on the snakes. They don't decide what genetics they have.
    55fingers, My sentiments Exactly!
    Its Just like that with breeding Puppies or Kittens (which i have experience with). Often times there may be one or more extra Young Animals that you must work extra hard to find homes for.
    But you do it because you care for the animals.
    And if you dont have the ability to care for the animals then DONT BREED!! Otherwise you are just as bad as or worse then the Giant Wholesale Breeders you all Claim to hate!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nz2500 For This Useful Post:

55fingers (09-16-2018)

Thanks

I have perfected this method with Rabbits, but haven't had much luck with rats. The hammer to the skull doesn't require much force and instantly kills them too, there's no pain. Yeah the carpet is nasty because of the blood. I didn't know a screwdriver would work to hold them down, I will try that if I ever have to do it again. Either way I make sure they aren't in pain, but this way would definitely be much cleaner.
    1.1 Ivory Burmese Pythons 0.1 Albino Granite Burmese Python
    1.0 Orange Glow Retic 0.1 White Albino Retic 0.1 Purple Tiger Retic
    1.0 Anaconda Hognose 1.0 Hognose DBL Het Snow
    0.0.1 Red Tail Boa
    1.0 Albino Blitz BP
    0.1 Pastel Het Pied BP
    1.0 Pastel Leopard BP
    0.1 Pastel Vanilla BP
    0.1 Super Phantom BP
    0.1 Spinner Enchi BP
    0.1 Albino Kingsnake

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast