Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,044

4 members and 3,040 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Baby Beardie Hasn't Eaten In A Week?

My bearded dragon, Simber, hasn't wanted to eat his crickets for a week now. This strikes me as very odd because bearded dragons aren't often known to go off feed. He was eating perfectly fine for the last several months. I haven't changed anything about his cage, it is an Exo Terra 36x18x12 (Short Large), and his UV and basking lights are still functioning normally. He just seemed to completely stop eating. Is this normal? Or is a vet appointment in order?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    How old is he? Are you giving him any greens? Any other protein source or just crickets? Have you tried dubia roaches or horn worms?
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Re: Baby Beardie Hasn't Eaten In A Week?

He is 9 months old (born July 4th). I've been offering romaine lettuce and kale, but that seems to go untouched as well. Crickets have been the only protein source I've ever tried... I could pick up some hornworms tomorrow and give those a go? I realize my first post was very vague, is there any more information you need that would be helpful in figuring out what is going on?

Thanks
    Show us your set up. We also need accurate temps in the enclosure. Also how fine are you giving the greens? Put them into a food chopper. The smaller they are chopped the better. Have you tried carrots?
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Keep in mind also beardies as babies eat about 20% green to 80% protein. As they mature it will switch. At about 9 mo it usually equals out somewhat. Does he eat mealworms at all? Mealworms are just fat and can contribute to health issues as adults. Have you had him checked for parasites yet?
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Romaine lettuce is worthless. Give him collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens(if you can find them), butternut squash or any squash. Also beardies generally love fruit. Harley LOVES blueberries and blackberries.

Also just like people, beardies get bored with the same food. And honestly crickets suck lol. Look into dubia roaches. Much better and they dont bite, stink, make noise, or die nearly as fast as crickets. I have my own dubia colony for Harley as when she was a baby, she would go through about 40 little dubia a day.

And yes, they usually dont like greens as babies but you want to start them on it. I made the mistake and since Harley didnt like greens as a 6 week old, i quit offering it. But luckily, now that Harley is 5 years old, she kind of like greens but only a few of them.

Try to avoid mealworms. They offer no nutrition, just a chitin. Superworms are ok for a treat but not until they are about 15 inches or longer as there is a kink in their intestine which doesnt widen out until then. You can give stuff like butter worms as a treat too. They are like bite size snickers for beardies lol. Also hornworms, silkworms and phoenix worms. I used to feed Harley all that stuff as a baby and as an adult, she gets superworms and butterworms as treats. She mostly eats dubias, hornworms, collard greens, butternut squash, apple, mango, cantaloupe, blueberries, blackberries.

Also you are going to want to get a good calcium supplement as well as a good multivitamin supplement. I personally use Repcal Calcium and Repcal Herptivite. I just shake and bake the bugs in the stuff. I did the calcium 4-5 times a week and the Herptivite multivitamin 2-3 times a week as a baby.

Also here is a link to a list of veggies, fruits and bugs showing their nutrition values and stuff. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Now as for your original question, how do you know the UVB is good? Baby beardies will go off food sometimes if their UVB is done. What UVB are you using? I personally use Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 HO T5 for my beardie. I used to use T8s a long time ago but they cost more, have to be closer and have to be changed every 6 months. The T5 HOs last a year, are cheaper and can be mounted further away.

Also you said you are using an Exo Terra. I'm guessing a screen lid. Depending on the screen mesh size, it can cut out 50% of the UVB so you will want to mount it closer. With a T8, you want 6-8 inches away from the basking spot. With T5, you want about 12-18 inches.

Also what are your temps? Baby beardies generally like it pretty hot. I offered Harley a hot spot of 105-110F as a baby with a cool side around 80F. At night, you want to let it cool down as beardies need that cool down period. Something in the mid 70s is fine.

But anyways, what are your temps? What UVB are you using? How old is the UVB? How close is it? Using screen?

A lot of people say beardies are great first time pets. They are WRONG. Beardies require a lot. Harley requires double or triple the amount of care my snakes do. This is especially true of babies as i got Harley at 6 weeks old. A better starter pet would be leopard gecko imo.

Anyways, here are some pics of Harley the chubster. Yes, she is overweight. The vet has told me many times lol. But the vet also said, Harley looks to be a very happy beardie and 'loves dad'. She is giant sweetie lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-01-2018),MD_Pythons (04-01-2018),zina10 (04-01-2018)

Thanks
    Omg such a little chubster! That face is precious!
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (04-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Baby Beardie Hasn't Eaten In A Week?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Omg such a little chubster! That face is precious!
    Lol thanks. She laid 2 clutches of eggs last summer too. Was her first time and me and her were both stressing. I think i ran over to Lowes like 5 times to buy different size tubs to make her a sandbox to lay in. But we both finally got it done. She laid i believe 22 eggs in the first clutch, then 2 weeks later, laid another 12 eggs.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie