Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,275

1 members and 3,274 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Problem Shedding

I got my first snake earlier this year a ball python and he's just now been going thru his first shed. His eyes cleared up and he's been actually shedding for about a week now he's only shed his head so far. I don't why he hasn't shed completely yet. Is there anything I should do to assist him? And if this happens again when should I know it's time to assist him? He's temp has been about 85 on the hot side and humidity about 50-55. Also is there anything I can do differently for his next shed to make it go smoother?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    Yeah, you're going to need to bump his humidity up for sheds. Between 65%-70% is a good target range. 55% - 60% is a good average range normally, but they need that 15% or so bump to help them during their sheds.

I don't know what type of enclosure he's in, or how easy it is for you to maintain the humidity, but go ahead and get your humidity up to 70% and see if that doesn't help him complete his shed in the next day or two.

Pay special attention to his eyes to ensure the eye caps come off and are not stuck. This is a critical area.

ETA: Just re-read and noticed your warm side temps. You are going to want to recheck all of your husbandry because everything seems low. Hot side surface temps should be 88º-90º, regulated by a thermostat to ensure no temp spikes, cool side surface temps between 77º-80º with ambient air temps in the high 70s to 80º. Avg. humidity from the low 50s - 60%, with an increase to 70% during shed.

If you really want a thorough review of your setup, post a picture here and let us take a look. We can point out anything amiss and get you on the right track.
    Last edited by hilabeans; 03-31-2018 at 05:10 PM.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (03-31-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Re: Problem Shedding

Whatis your enclosure like? You need to bump up your heat and humidity. If you have it in a fish tank its going to be a constant battle to keep humidity in check but there are various posts with tips on modifications that can be made to help it out. Congrats on your new friend!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Problem Shedding

Quote Originally Posted by BossG View Post
    I got my first snake earlier this year a ball python and he's just now been going thru his first shed. His eyes cleared up and he's been actually shedding for about a week now he's only shed his head so far. I don't why he hasn't shed completely yet. Is there anything I should do to assist him? And if this happens again when should I know it's time to assist him? He's temp has been about 85 on the hot side and humidity about 50-55. Also is there anything I can do differently for his next shed to make it go smoother?

As soon as they get their colours back and the eyes clear up THEN you start spraying the tank / viv a few times each day until they actually shed the skin .

If you have a mesh lid you really have to cover it at all times with some plastic or similar to keep the humidity up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Once I see that salmon color belly....humidity goes to 70%.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*