Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,385

1 members and 1,384 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts

Re: Educational Snake visit

Quote Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    My grandmother was a nasty mean old woman until she had a stroke in her early 70s. Somehow it zapped all the mean parts of her brain and left us with this wonderfully sweet stranger that forgot she hated everyone. We had 15 lovely years with with this kinder iteration of my g-ma!
    This is interesting, I've seen the same thing with some older folks how they can change and become a lot more friendly, especially when they start needing assistance to do things they took for granted. I've done a lot with older folks and I know they do appreciate it. I've played the piano in nursing homes and in restaurants outside of homes. At the end of the song some will stand up and applaud, it's so cute! I also cleaned a fish tank in an Alzheimer's nursing home on a regular basis, it was interesting to experience their dementia and delusions first hand, it was pretty bizarre. This year I'm thinking of bringing in some of my new puppies before they get too big. I bet your snakes will be a big hit!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    Oooh, can't wait to hear how it goes!
    It went well I guess. There seemed to be a lot of questions and much to my suprise, 4 of the 20 or so people wanted to come up and hold them at the end. They had me do this for what they called their "Mens Club" so it was only men. After the actual presentation was over, I guess the men were out in the hallway talking about it because there were a lot more women come in there with curiosity. I was supposed to be done at 1:00pm but didnt actually leave till 2 pm due to the unannounced flow of female visitors. I had told the activity director beforehand that from what I had seen, women are more likely than men to be curious about them and get over their fears but she stuck to her guns on doing it for the mens club.

The person I had there with me and in control of my phone only got 2 pictures and 2 short videos, neither of which show the residents with the animals so I'm sorry tttaylor, I guess it didnt happen since I dont have pictures LOL.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bistem For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-21-2018),hilabeans (04-21-2018),tttaylorrr (04-21-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bistem View Post
    It went well I guess. There seemed to be a lot of questions and much to my suprise, 4 of the 20 or so people wanted to come up and hold them at the end. They had me do this for what they called their "Mens Club" so it was only men. After the actual presentation was over, I guess the men were out in the hallway talking about it because there were a lot more women come in there with curiosity. I was supposed to be done at 1:00pm but didnt actually leave till 2 pm due to the unannounced flow of female visitors. I had told the activity director beforehand that from what I had seen, women are more likely than men to be curious about them and get over their fears but she stuck to her guns on doing it for the mens club.

The person I had there with me and in control of my phone only got 2 pictures and 2 short videos, neither of which show the residents with the animals so I'm sorry tttaylor, I guess it didnt happen since I dont have pictures LOL.
    I'm glad to hear it went well for you. It's a shame the director limited it to the men though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    That's awesome!! That may be a great audience for you to work on your presentation as well. They may not be quite as receptive as kids, but that may end up working out in your favor. As opposed to a bunch of energetic kids, your audience will likely be much more quiet and relaxed.

And it's never too late...this is my grandfather on Father's Day last year. He was 96 then (turned 97 in July) and this was the first time he ever touched a snake. He was originally saying "hell no" but after a few minutes he basically said "what the hell, I'm 96 years old, if it kills me it kills me" hahahahaha.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk
    this is incredible !! Sorry I’m late to the party but so awesome !!

im sure I don’t have to tel you how lucky you are to have him and he’s now a snake fan!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-21-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bistem View Post

Happy to hear it went well for you!!

maybe like you said some other locals will tag along or bring animals and they will open it up to all the residence ?

sounds like a great first go round and good on you for volunteering your time and animals !

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    this is incredible !! Sorry I’m late to the party but so awesome !!

im sure I don’t have to tel you how lucky you are to have him and he’s now a snake fan!
    Thanks man!! Yeah, that was a pretty great day. I don't know that I'd call him a "fan", hahaha, but it just goes to show it's never too late to get over a fear.

Oh, and no doubt in lucky!! He's still going strong, coming up on 98 in July. He's honestly the greatest man I've ever known. Probably a bit biased, but literally everybody that meets him falls in love with him. It's been that way my since as far back as I can remember.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 04-21-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks

Oh, and no doubt in lucky!! He's still going strong, coming up on 98 in July. He's honestly the greatest man I've ever known. Probably a bit biased, but literally everybody that meets him falls in love with him. It's been that way my since as far back as I can remember.
    He just looks like an extremely like-able guy. And make SURE and tell him "Thank You for his service". There arent many WW2 veterans still with us now days and it makes me happy that he is still out and about sporting his hat

Thanks

Thanks man!! Yeah, that was a pretty great day. I don't know that I'd call him a "fan", hahaha, but it just goes to show it's never too late to get over a fear.

Incredible!! Truly!!

hes a WW2 vet? What did he do for his service. Crazy 98 and going strong I wish I can be so lucky. !!

hey warm him up maybe he’ll own a snake “. “ that you will care for hahah.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12